Author Topic: Crash.  (Read 891 times)

Alexodia

• View Profile
Crash.
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:14:58 PM »
Using 1.7.8 or what not. Having issue with game performance.

I run a I7 840Q 1.87 (4 cores w/hyperthreading)
ATI Radeon 5870 Mobility
Windows 7-64. 8 Gig ram.

How ever the system likes to crash without Threading compatibility and with it enabled its impossible to play on galaxies above 50 systems without dropping below 5 FPS after an hour. The one time it did work without threading it was running excellent with no issues but I could never get it to work again.

Need help!

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: Crash.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:18:09 PM »
Is your operating system up to date?
"Now it will punish you"

Alexodia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:34:54 PM »
Well I loaded an older save and managed to not have any issues. I just find that strange. So i guess its fixed and over saved the bad save so I dont do it again

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
Weird...  well, let us know if the issue pops back up. :)
"Now it will punish you"

Alexodia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
I am having another issue. If ships arent in a Planetary plane they seem to lurch and jump rather than smoothly move. Also right click select all ships doesnt work. I think i fixed the crash,

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »
Try reinstalling your game; none of that should occur (except I suppose in extremely large galaxies)
"Now it will punish you"

Alexodia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »
its a 550 star with max distance set and 6 AI. Which should easily be handled by this particular Computer.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 06:48:50 PM »
The problem you're seeing with the jittering is a manifestation of floating point inaccuracy; has little to do with hardware, just the precision of math we can possibly run at this time.  The game should be able to run such a galaxy without much issue until late-game (I imagine) where performance will drop due to the enormity of the playing field/active units.

That said:  550 systems at maximum distance is an extremely large galaxy and is well beyond our usual norms.

EDIT:  You might be able to play that galaxy with much less jittering if you turn down the distance between systems.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:51:42 PM by Firgof »
"Now it will punish you"

Alexodia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 06:52:07 PM »
weirdly enough The Issue only started after I turned off Threading compatibility.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:53:32 PM »
Then that is even more bizarre.  Not sure what to say here ... it's just entirely odd.

Are you sure that your game installed correctly?  Are there any errors in the console?
"Now it will punish you"

Alexodia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 09:17:16 PM »
I will check. I have had larger maps without this issue ever occuring I am going to test to see if perhaps somehow the game i created is bugged itself.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:07:49 AM »
If you mean the right click "select all... blueprint" option, there was a bug in there that could make it not work in certain situations. It has been fixed for the next patch and should work from them.

Next time you have a savegame that exhibits crashy behavior, could you upload/post it? Saves like that are very valuable in helping us fix the crashes.

By the "lurch and jump" do you mean that their visual movement is in steps rather than smoothly? If so, this is a result of both lag and the galaxy tick thread running in a different manner than systems. Floating point inaccuracy causes ships to "vibrate", not jump in hops. In general, we prefer degrading certain cosmetic aspects over making the game run slower, and unsmooth movement is one of the things that can occur because of this.

Alexodia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »
will do.