Author Topic: TCP fallback for hosting games  (Read 1198 times)

lodewijkadlp

• View Profile
TCP fallback for hosting games
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:50:03 AM »
In attempting multiplayer games you MUST DISABLE WINDOWS FIREWALL and ANY OTHER antivirus you have or be exceptionally lucky.

UDP is apperently used for transport layer communication, I'm suggesting TCP become a possibility as wel (as a setting). It might deal in a very not-realtime manner with packetloss but in reality packet loss is VERY MINIMAL and doesn't (likely) occur until a true disconnect, in which case UDP will also lag until the connection problem is resolved. But it is much better dealt with by antivirii and firewalls.

This is one hell of a showstopper bug. It should've been fixed a very long time ago. Please make it a priority.

chemicalderrick

• View Profile
Re: TCP fallback for hosting games
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »
MUST DISABLE WINDOWS FIREWALL and ANY OTHER antivirus
No. Using the Norton Firewall with Antivirus here, forwardet the necessary port, worked like a charm. Also, disabling your ANTIVIRUS when you play games? That doesn't make any sense and it is dangerous, too.

UDP is apperently used for transport layer communication, I'm suggesting TCP become a possibility as wel (as a setting). It might deal in a very not-realtime manner with packetloss but in reality packet loss is VERY MINIMAL and doesn't (likely) occur until a true disconnect, in which case UDP will also lag until the connection problem is resolved. But it is much better dealt with by antivirii and firewalls.
I don't want to insult you, but...do you have ANY idea what you are talking about? Networking protocols that is?

First of all:
Those protocols have more differences than you are pointing out. UDP is acr. for User Datagram Protocol, it does not maintain a steady connection and sends its data instantly, no handshake on protocol-level takes place. That also means less overhead and less waiting for questions like "did you get the last packet and can I send the next one?", that way UDP is significantly faster than TCP.
Also, in case of a disconnect UDP will continue to send packets and, if the application programmer implemented it right, might even resync on the fly.
Also, if packets are dropped the client might, of course, request those packets again. But in some cases you don't want that because the next packets may render the previous obsolete.

TCP is acr. for Transmission Control Protocol, in this case server and client perform a so called handshake and establish and maintain a connection. Using this connection is slower, since it generates some overhead and the packets have to arrive in order (well, they don't have to, but it is built for that). Usually you use TCP if you want to make ABSOLUTELY sure that the client gets every single packet, even if it does not need it anymore. In case of a disconnect the connection is lost and has to be re-established, again, generating some overhead and potentially delaying the communication.

Also, implementing an alternative to UDP is a LOT of work because of the differences pointed out above. And I can assure you that the Windows Firewall makes no difference between the two. And if your Antivirus starts fooling around with your network connection...well no Antivirus I know does that.
Greetz

chemicalderrick

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Re: TCP fallback for hosting games
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »
To make it clear, I agree with chemicalderrick: An antivirus should not be involved in your network at all, that's the responsibility of the firewall. If the firewall is blocking Star Ruler, that's the firewall's design failing. TCP would almost certainly do nothing but degrade multiplayer performance.

I have Window's Firewall and their AntiVirus both running, and Star Ruler multiplayer works fine through them.