Author Topic: Dev recommendation on how to keep mods compatible?  (Read 523 times)

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Dev recommendation on how to keep mods compatible?
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:29:55 PM »
As we are still in Early Access, i'm sure files and structures are going to be changing quite a bit.

For reference, I was wondering if you folks over at blind mind could give us a "best practice" on how to keep our mod up to date as things change. Would this be possible? Currently i'm thinking something like just doing a file diff and manually updating files that have changed but... this could become tedius.

Is there a way to more easily merge changes and updates to files as new versions hit?

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Re: Dev recommendation on how to keep mods compatible?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:32:53 PM »
Tracking diffs when we update is probably the most effective way right now, and this can be automated via svn/git. After full release we'll do our best to minimize breaking changes.

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »
Reaper, sorry to bump this but, I tried searching for a guide/info on how to automate something like this on Git and didn't find anything. Probably due to my inexperience using Git and not know exactly what to search for... Do you have a link you might be able to share?

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:23:59 PM »
Both git and svn are designed to track changes to large projects. You can set up a local repository, commit each build we put out, and see what's changed at each stage. For this purpose, I'd recommend SVN, and TortoiseSVN for Windows to simplify repo management.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:30:15 PM by Thy Reaper »