Author Topic: Models using multiple diffuse textures - possible?  (Read 910 times)

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Models using multiple diffuse textures - possible?
« on: March 06, 2015, 04:27:49 AM »
Thus far, i've noticed that all vanilla models use a single diffuse texture. However, is it possible to bring in models that use multiple diffuse textures/materials? If not, perhaps an idea on how one might merge multiple diffuse textures into one while preserving the UV mapping?

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Models using multiple diffuse textures - possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 09:26:02 AM »
Honestly, I don't think it's possible. It's killed several of the models I intended to port from StarCraft 2, as well as entire shipsets from Space Empires 5.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »
The game doesn't support multiple materials per model, but you can freely create shaders to work with as many textures as you want, it's just a question of knowing how to use everything and coding the shader.

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »
Wouldn't just creating a 2048x2048 texture and then redoing the UVs while putting the previous 1028x1028 textures into it work just fine?

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 03:35:17 AM »
You'd need 1024x1024, not 1028x1028. But yeah. That approach would let you merge four textures - the thing is, I looked around and I couldn't find any program that automated the process, and UV remapping is very, VERY hard and time-consuming to correctly do.

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 05:09:01 AM »
If the UV mapping is already done, expanding the texture map out to 2048 simply means moving UV maps around by 1024 units or so... at least so far for me I haven't encountered any massive difficulties.. sure it takes ~10-30 minutes based on the model but it's not that bad..

Brigadon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »
You'd need 1024x1024, not 1028x1028. But yeah. That approach would let you merge four textures - the thing is, I looked around and I couldn't find any program that automated the process, and UV remapping is very, VERY hard and time-consuming to correctly do.

There's like 3 'merge UV' plugins for blender. Not sure which is the best, since I am experienced enough with blender that I don't generally need to shift multiple UV's into a single UV sheet (I usually try to split them down for texture reuse rather than blow them up)