Author Topic: Mod community challenge - Let's get fighters in the game  (Read 1162 times)

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Mod community challenge - Let's get fighters in the game
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:29:46 AM »
So, I for one would love to see fighters implemented into the game.

I wanted to post this up as a challenge, as I think that most mods could benefit from getting this sort of thing working. Some thoughts:

1. Fighters could be implemented as a weapon system. This would make it possible to create real "carriers" and modify the # and size of fighters. Different fighter types would play out as different "systems" and one could mix their fighter/bomber/gunship/etc... to their liking.

2. A concern - currently the closest system to the behavior of fighters is the missile system, but we would need to handle a few things..
     - Fighters would need to be killable. I'm sure most of us would like to see fighter dogfights of some kind, so if we use the missile template as a base, there would need to be some way to add a killable object..
     - Would need a way to have the fighters make short attack runs.. something that could be used to make things look like a dogfight
     - Fighters would probably deploy as squads, so there would need to be a way to accept multiple .obj as the models or just use one model (that hopefully we can animate in some basic way..)

3. Fighters could be implemented as a "support ship" of some kind, but if this was done, there would need to be a very hefty rewrite of the current formation and combat AI to make the squadrons actually fly in and dogfight/get up close. Perhaps this is more possible in v1.0?

Hope to hear your thoughts. :)

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Mod community challenge - Let's get fighters in the game
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 04:20:06 AM »
I would definitely be interested in option 3. Put fighters into the 0.1-0.5 size scale (or something - maybe 0.1-4), give them some custom stuff, implement a MAJORLY revised AI just for them... not even remotely easy, but well worth it in my opinion.

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:44:27 AM »
Is it possible to drop ships below size 1? In the editor it just locks it to size 1 minimum.

If we were to go this way, it would definitely be a matter of the combat AI.

One other disadvantage... it would be pretty much impossible to make real "carrier" ships. You couldn't add a docking bay to a ship.... it wouldn't really feel right to be honest.

Edit: I suppose it's worth asking..... is a fighter subsystem or "support ship" on the list of things to be added in post-release?

Malorn

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »
Umm, I would say that most of a fighter system is currently supported.  Make a very fast support ship at a low size and have it use one of the raiding behaviors, you have a fighter.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:11:42 PM »
Hypothetically, I see no reason why lowering the cap below size 1 would be impossible. Even if it's a matter of the system using an integer instead of a float/double, you could emulate the same effect by raising the support minimum above 1. (And adjusting the flagship minimum accordingly.)

Malorn, the raiding behaviors are still not close to dogfighting. :P

Brigadon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »
Or you could just set them up as a modified sort of missile system... one that shoots out to the target, buzzes around them for a few moments doing random damage to all locations (instead of just the front), then returns, with the 'reload' the amount of time it takes to get to and from the target.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 05:56:31 AM »
I think that with our current knowledge of the system, it would be easier to simply use one of the other approaches. :P