Author Topic: [AI behavior] "Remember" which systems I've set to auto colonize  (Read 1008 times)

Phrost

• View Profile
Current behavior of the "Auto Colonize system" context menu option seems to basically take any existing colony ships not currently engaged in an active behavior and send them off to colonize any open planet in the system.  If I have a colony ship 99% completed and select the option to "Auto Colonize system", that order doesn't appear to carry to the soon-to-be-completed colony ship, which means it just assumes the default parking orbit when produced.

My suggestion is to have the game "remember" which system(s)/planet(s) I have designated for auto-colonization, and to allocate colony ships to those planets as the colony ships are produced.  This could perhaps be handled with the addition of a variable to the system/planet, or by the addition of a "to be colonized" queue that freshly produced colony ships would look to for orders before assuming the default behavior.

In the absence of this behavior, I find that I designate a system to be auto colonized with no idea as to how many ships I currently have available, and so I find myself frequently "recolonizing" systems that I thought I had already fully acquired.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Re: [AI behavior] "Remember" which systems I've set to auto colonize
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
This isn't a simple change, but we're trying to figure out a solution.

Kurohyou

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »
Another way to do this would be to show the number of idle colonizers (ships with a colonizer subsystem onboard) somewhere on the games HUD, then you would always know how many colonizers you have.

Dahak

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 07:41:29 PM »
@Thy Reaper
Someone mentioned a colonizer flag in another thread. For making this easier, how about just giving all planets a boolean "Colonize" flag, and changing colonizer AI to automatically move to the nearest planet with this flag. They already move to in-system planets :)

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »
Flags need to be tracked per-empire, which isn't so simple. I have some ideas like that, though.

thyrem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »
If those flags are set, you would need an option to undo it.
This is because if your opponent is faster then you with occupying the targetet system you will not be able to prevent sending free colonizer ships there that get killed instantly.

BR41ND34D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:02:19 AM »
Isn't it just a question of making a (per empire) list of planets to be colonized? press auto-colonize on a system and the planets get added to the list in order of size, and when a new colonizer finishes, it colonizes the first planet on the list, and removes said planet from said list.
If you make this list visible to the player through a window they can move planets around the list and remove planets from it.
EDIT just read the post above mine again, and it would have to add a check when a ship tries to colonize a planet from the list to see if it's still a viable target, if not, move on to the next planet on the list.

Samades

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
And what if that planet is on the other side of the galaxy and a secound colonizer end building 1 secound later which is in the neightbor system?

BR41ND34D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
this problem is already present in the current auto-colonize method. Say a system has 4 planets and I have 3 colonizers near it and one on the other side of the galaxy, they all get sent to the system, regardless of whatever I'm building. This is also why I just give move orders when I'm building colonizers from different systems. The auto-colonize order that the colonizers have will send em to the different planets in the system.