Author Topic: [Weapons] New Electronic Warfare  (Read 1556 times)

Darcion

• Sentient
    • View Profile
[Weapons] New Electronic Warfare
« on: September 01, 2010, 02:42:47 AM »
EMP weapons, anti shild weapons, anti control weapons, AI Virus to take control over AI ships and Anti AI Virus (switching some others techs in here)

Edit: if we get EMP weapons we need anti EMP systems, so with every lvl in electric warfare we got in other techs new subsystems.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:00:34 AM by Darcion »

iceita

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: [Weapons] New Electronic Warfare
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:26:36 AM »
But there is the PowerVampire Weapon, that target the energy of the ship resulting in, no more control, no more shield, no more life ehehehe i used alot at the start, but all that ship disabled annoyed me alot (yes i know, salvager are for this but i am lazy :p)
Then if i am not doing a mistake the EMP is already in the game as PowerVampire!

Darcion

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:14:20 AM »
hm i know that weapon, but is this weapon like a EMP? EMP does not effect the crew and the energy absorbing weapon steal it for it own ship. a other weapon effect on the crew and let them be a bit chaotic...

i mean a weapon witch can disable subsystems (maybe random) for some seconds.

iceita

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:05:43 AM »
hm i know that weapon, but is this weapon like a EMP? EMP does not effect the crew and the energy absorbing weapon steal it for it own ship. a other weapon effect on the crew and let them be a bit chaotic...

i mean a weapon witch can disable subsystems (maybe random) for some seconds.

Uhm, from my knownledge on the EMP, it fire big waves of power (i cant to be more precisly here eheh) that disables all the eletronics around, the PowerVamp also if in the description it says that steal energy, in reality it don't steal anything, only make the damage on the energy subsystem in the ship, and only it come affected, the problem with other subsystem disabled temporarly or not (the crew die without energy that supply is one consequence from the energy instantly dropped to 0) come from the energy compromised.
Now if wasn't this  and i confused your reply then sorry!

Darcion

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:27 AM »
yeah you are confused, my suggestion is something new, nothing from this is in the current game.

Phrost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 11:02:45 AM »
I think iceita is trying to say that the *effect* of an EMP is already in the game, in the form of the Power Vampire weapon.

The desired effect of disabling subsystems is exactly what happens when the ship loses power due to the vampire effect draining power.  Perhaps you intend it to be more of a burst weapon like the flak turrets, rather than a directed beam?

As for other suggestions, the Shield Bomb weapon exists as an anti-shield weapon and the Mind Sapper as an anti-control weapon.  I believe that a method to take over enemy ships is being planned, but has not yet been implemented.

Additionally, to interject my opinion, I would prefer to see more of a "rock, paper, scissors" countermeasure method, rather than a simply binary one.  I think having a single, direct counter for every offense leads to rather tedious ships, and would rather see a more variable system.  Say that the counter for the AI virus is to include manual overrides on all the systems, but this actually makes the ship more vulnerable to being boarded by enemy troops and captured that way.  And perhaps increased defense against the Power Vampire weapon (or EMP) makes the ship slower to repair (as all the additional shielding makes it more difficult to reach the damage), thus making the ship more vulnerable to physical damage.

Darcion

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:26:10 AM »
i know that there are weapons in with similar functions "(switch some other techs in here)" means that.

but the effeckt of the vampire weapon if the enemy has much power has not direct effect of the ship. the EMP "burst" should be much faster and if is no shield on board the damage has direct effect on the systems for a longer time (if the energy comes back after energy drain from the vampire weapon).

and your last opinion is a good issue, we have no countermeasure methods for stop missiles or torpedoes.

DavidwMiller

• Star Ruler Beta Tester
  • Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
As for other suggestions, the Shield Bomb weapon exists as an anti-shield weapon and the Mind Sapper as an anti-control weapon.

I thought the shield bomb was a device that turned your own shields into a weapon, rather than an anti-shield weapon? I haven't actually tried using it, so I could be mistaken.

Phrost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:42:22 AM »
I thought the shield bomb was a device that turned your own shields into a weapon, rather than an anti-shield weapon? I haven't actually tried using it, so I could be mistaken.

I haven't tried it either, so I could be completely wrong.  My assumption was that it fired (something) at an enemy's shields, causing them to collapse & deal damage, thus making it an effective counter to someone using shields.  If, instead, it uses your own shields to "explode", then I find it to be far less useful.  Looking at the code of the item leads me to believe it is (unfortunately) the latter, rather than the former, but I'm still not certain.

Kurohyou

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »
the description for shield bomb says it expands your shields to cause AOE damage, and it has a stat that says something like shield drain or shield damage.

Phrost

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »
the description for shield bomb says it expands your shields to cause AOE damage, and it has a stat that says something like shield drain or shield damage.

Well, there you have it.  So pretend I proposed a new, anti-shield weapon in the above posts, and hopefully it will make more sense.

<trots off to post a new suggestion for an anti-shield weapon...>