Author Topic: So there I was...  (Read 2201 times)

jonuts

• Sentient
    • View Profile
So there I was...
« on: January 12, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »
...Fighting a war on 3 fronts. But first, let me back up a bit. Starting a new game, I played with the sliders a bit. Small increase in research speed, small decrease in research cost,  decent increase in tech multiplier. All in all, it LOOKED reasonable. Whoops.

Maybe 2 hours into the game, I'm in a slugging match with all 3 computer opponents. Our techs are fairly even. I got  lead on them of maybe 2-3 levels, judging by the life of their ships compared to mine. Even then, my ships were swatting theirs like flies. I kept losing planets in a few systems because there really wasn't any feasible way to protect them with 300 ships drifted through the system. It wasn't as efficient as my fleets of jump-ships jumping from system to system extinquishing all life, but it was proving annoying. My tech levels were around 23 or so. This shows just HOW much a small change in the multipliers affects the game later (BTW, ramscoops were still useless). I decided to test build a ringworld. Instantly done. Nice. It was my new central shipyard. Lets pump out 1k scale ships instead of a mighty fleet of 100 scale. But wait! IDEA! Insta-building ringworlds because my techs are that awesome. Lets end this! Default Governor = Research world. Build on all: Ringworld. About a minute later, all my techs are pushing level 70 and still leveling up in seconds. *Cue evil laughter*

Naturally, having obscene tech levels, I went to redesign my ships. Then the game crashed. *Cue crying like a baby*. Moral of the story? Unless you want to break the game, DO NOT INCREASE THE MULTIPLIERS by .2. It sounds small...but it's friggin massive. ramscoops were still useless. .25 fuel cell would keep the ship fueled for roughly eternity.

Foraven

• Delusional
  • Fear the gauss weapons!
    • View Profile
Re: So there I was...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Ramscoops have been nerfed and won't be useful on anything but tankers and similar designs. Anything that use lots of fuel will drain more than the scoops can collect, even at high tech (since they don't improve to infinity now).
Maker of FRB mod.

kalix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:10:51 PM »
why not? i mean bigger scoop can get more particles
and in a star system there are a shitload of particles  !

Hazzard

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:01 AM »
JUMP. DRIVES.

:D

decman117

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
ramscoops? useless? all of my designs from the smallest scouts to the largest battleships use an antimatter generator and ramscoop combo, and they've never failed me, the unlimited power and flight time is really good ;D

Dragon93

• View Profile
    • CoH: Eastern Front Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 09:57:24 PM »
Slight Bump....

But anyway...
I had something like this once. Was insane :L
Small change to the tech (i didn't catch on to the insanity till after the AI did).
So there we are playing; I'm happily going crazy with my economy and orbital stations and mining vessels....AI floating around with slightly large ships.....

Notice there ships have 1000+ scales....then 10,000+, then 100,000.......Oh fuck; that ships is the size of a system.......THEN BOOM; Galaxy sized ships :L
I cried I quit ;)

The small changes really can matter - I now limit scales xD

decman117

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 03:10:53 AM »
yeah, the AI gets pretty rediculous with scale.. but when 30 mins into a game you spot a system with 20 15k size destroyers in it, you know you can't win.....
scales now limited to 300 =[
that was with normal settings, and me being constantly sent treaties "give us all your metals or we come and kill your empire please"