Author Topic: A little AI to tide you over...  (Read 2662 times)

Totallyunderpowered

• Sentient
    • View Profile
A little AI to tide you over...
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:09:36 PM »
Hi all,

Been playing around with the AI files lately, more as an exercise to learn how things work than anything else.  As a happy side effect, I seem to have smartened up the default AI...just slightly.

To compliment the slight improvement, I tweaked some of the ship plans, build orders, and the personality files so that the AI now has a bit more weight to it.  I'm not promising that it will be a challenge, but it should put on enough of a show so that you won't look at the AI's systems and think, "what have you been doing for the last half hour?!"

So, I decided to share with those who are similarly looking for some decent AIs to knock over while waiting for the real coders' AI to fill the role. 

To use it, simply download the file and place the contents into your "Star Ruler/mods" folder.  Run the game as normal, and choose "Underpowered AI".  Also, if you have a set of layouts you prefer to use for yourself, you'll need to copy them over from the usual subdirectory inside of "My Games" to a new subdirectory for UPAI layouts that will be automatically created by the game when it notices the AI.

Happy smiting.

Edit: I didn't seem to have interceptors assigned to some of the Aggressors' carriers.  Also a little logic snafu with passing ship leadership.  Fixed'd. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:18:44 AM by Totallyunderpowered »

Panpiper

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: A little AI to tide you over...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
I'll give it a whirl. Thank you.

Panpiper

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
There was indeed some evidence of the AIs playing a bit harder. I ran a game with a few of them set at hardest, non-cheating, and I actually got activity to deal with. I'm not sure what you did, but they are certainly a bit more robust than vanilla.

Totallyunderpowered

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »
It's pretty much vanilla with my cobbled together attempts to catch some odd circumstances.  It plays a bit more vigorously with fleets, and it also knows to move onto larger colonizers to compensate for the changes to Planet Capitol resource changes in more recent patches.  It's really a lot of little things.

Anyway, I would recommend you download it again and replace the old version with what I have up there now.  I noticed one or two things I had wrong in my changes, so it should perform a bit better now (I think).

fx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »
I tried it just 10 minutes at x10 speed to see how the AI was behaving and hardest non-cheating AI is expanding good. don't know about its combat abilities but at least, you fixed the issue of the overexpanding AI vanilla killing its own economy. Good work and thanks !

Totallyunderpowered

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »
Hey all, I updated the file at the top once more.  I redid a lot of the ship layouts, and improved the rate at which it will attempt to utilize available hulls.  I also resolved another case of zombie AI fleets (I think) and changed around the ship build rates so that it will hopefully keep spending out as its empire grows, and not simply burn out at a later phase.

Also please note, I really haven't run this version out for very long, so it might be problematic.  If you notice anything funny, please let me know.

So, if you want to use the newer files, delete the old mod directory and download the new file at the top of the page to replace the old.  Cheers.

Totallyunderpowered

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
it might be problematic
Indeed! 

Fixed some more stuff.  If you've downloaded it before, you may want to consider doing so again.  If you haven't, then now's a good time to try it!  ;)

...well, now that the Erudite AI is out, there's very little need for this sad little piece of code.  Maybe I'll revisit it and try to get it into shape, till then best not to use these older and modified AIs with the newer code.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:20:23 AM by Totallyunderpowered »

greywolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 03:20:01 PM »
Where can I download the mod?

Totallyunderpowered

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
Where can I download the mod?

It's neither fully compatible with, nor terribly competitive with, the erudite AI.  I took it down.

I am considering stripping out at least the ship designs to give people an easy (and unknown...unless you peek) alternative to the vanilla ships, so that the current AI has even sharper teeth.