Author Topic: Star Ruler Released!  (Read 16415 times)

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Star Ruler Released!
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:34:56 AM »
Blind Mind Studio's first Game, Star Ruler has been released! You can pick it up at GamersGate or Direct2Drive for $24.95, or on Impulse, which will be released on the 23rd.

Bartje

• Star Ruler Beta Tester
  • Distracted
  • -=Lex Generale=-
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler Released!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:54:08 AM »
Congratulations and commendations for all of your hardwork!

Pop a cork yet?  ;D 

Ius Naturale

tehsid

• View Profile
    • Star Ruler Files
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:10:43 AM »
Congratulations guys!

kelmar6821

• That was my health bar?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 04:12:18 PM »
Have you guys gotten sales figures from impulse yet?

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
Yes, they've been included in the total.

Acer18

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 11:50:07 AM »
Congratulations on making the game!!!!

Only one question... will there be a Demo for it soon? Sorry, but there have been too many disappointing games out in the past few years that limits my desiring to give away my hard earned monies for something that i can't even see some of it first off.

And NO the terrible economy in the US has nothing to do with my attitude. My Attitude has been caused by way too much lying in advertising in the US over the past years.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 12:14:52 PM »
It's on our todo list for the next few weeks.

Darkstar_IE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Congratulations on making the game!!!!

Only one question... will there be a Demo for it soon? Sorry, but there have been too many disappointing games out in the past few years that limits my desiring to give away my hard earned monies for something that i can't even see some of it first off.

And NO the terrible economy in the US has nothing to do with my attitude. My Attitude has been caused by way too much lying in advertising in the US over the past years.

Yup, I agree with you 100%. 
I actually paid money for this game, so let me give you my honest opinion ..   
This game is ... not finished
This game is ... not a big budget EA GAMES whirlwind, with mega eye candy, and pew pew
This game is Bugged ...
Some of the graphics are a little glitchy
it crashed on me from time to time,
it needs some work,
This game is " Warts and all" - take it or leave it...
This game is the labour of love of a small group of people... ( and feels that way)
This game brings me back to the days of "Elite" on the BBC Model B, and "Manic Miner, and Jet Set Willy"
This game brings be back to the days where  great games came from the heart and soul of programmers, and not a big business churning out title after title
This game is A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH, AND AT AROUND $20 WORTH EVERY CENT AND THEN SOME.
Rarely have I ever come across a game so well put together, that I cannot stop playing it. Its got its bugs, its got its warts, but man, does it have spirit, gameplay, and a curios addictivenes, that brings you back for more. It will be a great, and will  have a hardcore dedicated fanbase, of which I am one.
I bought it at the weekend, and have not stopped playing it.
just go buy it, support the folks who did the brave thing, of standing on their own, to make what imho is a masterpiece of gaming.
THIS GAME .....  Gets a two thumbs up, and a 100% from me !! :)

DavidwMiller

• Star Ruler Beta Tester
  • Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
This game is Bugged ...
Some of the graphics are a little glitchy
it crashed on me from time to time,
it needs some work,

Keep in mind that all of those points are often true of even big budget titles. More often than not games seem to come out with all kinds of issues, the only part that matters to me is that somebody is actually working on them, as is the case with Star Ruler.  :)

Darkstar_IE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »
Keep in mind that all of those points are often true of even big budget titles. More often than not games seem to come out with all kinds of issues, the only part that matters to me is that somebody is actually working on them, as is the case with Star Ruler.  :)

Hi David

Yes, totally agree -  to summarise , my point was , if you want a big flashy all singing all dancing game with tons of eye candy, and a $100,000,000 budget, this game is not it.  If you want dedication, great gameplay, huge playability, dedicated devs, a game that truly brings gaming back to its roots ( belive me I was there with the Atari 2600, the Commodore Pet, and many other 8 bit systems) where some of the best games come from , then this is it. - its got its glitches, but they are minor when compared to the game.  - i was not criticising, in fact I was singing its praises ..  i would highly recommend it, and have done  :)

VulcanTourist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
I am very disappointed that I paid $20 for a download of a half-finished game that will in truth probably never be truly finished, if the history of the genre remains consistent.  I can't even request a refund from Impulse, because it was still marked as a pre-order at the time and Impulse makes an exception of pre-orders.

This game won't be getting any positive word-of-mouth from me.  This game makes all the same historic mistakes all over again in a slightly different wrapper.  There's no strategy here, only endless logistics and micromanagement.

ayrnieu

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »
endless logistics and micromanagement

... yeah.  What you mean is: you got this game, it's very clearly not polished in some respects, and when you look around you see that there's a lot more of it still coming.  Therefore: it's bad.  Why even play it when it's bad?  OK.  Given that it's bad, what bad things can you say about a 4X game?  Umm, hm, how about 'endless logistics'?  And 'micromanagement'?  Those are some bad things I've heard people say about some other 4X games.

VulcanTourist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 08:16:37 PM »
Exactly my point: it holds itself to the same standard as games of the past, rather than evolving further.  Why should I pay even $20 for a game that has the same scalability issues and other limitations as the dozens of genre games that preceded it?  Blind Mind was crowing about having game universes with 20000 star systems and ships the size of star systems, but good luck actually trying to MANAGE a game on that scale.

You don't seem to grasp what SHOULD be done, so lemme give you an example: rather than having to manually assemble a specific fleet, I should be able to predefine its composition based on a template, and then have that fleet thereafter MANAGE ITSELF, including resupply and replacement of lost ships; I should be able to declare a policy that determines whether a fleet that has lost a critical ship should retreat or hold position and wait for replacements.  Such policies should SCALE with the size of the game environment: fewer and less sweeping at first, many more and grander as the game progresses.  That mirrors reality, not the crap that has passed for strategy thus far in this genre.

I should be able to define policies that govern my empire, rather than me, the Emperor, being personally responsible for micromanaging every little niggling detail.  What, am I the only figure in my military and governmental hierarchy?  Where are my countless minions to carry out my orders IN MY ABSENCE?  This is what policies are for: they're STRATEGIC.  I'm sorry if that's boring for you; maybe you should try a game of tactics instead?  This isn't advertised as such.  "Planetary governors" are a token joke.  A game universe of 20,000 stars may be possible in this game, but it's still no more PLAYABLE than it was in anything that has preceded it.

ayrnieu

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »
rather than having to manually assemble a specific fleet

My plan from almost the beginning has been to have a verbal "I want these kinds of ships of these numbers in this system" (more like: "sector F build to Moa: 5 dreadnaught mk6, 500 fighter mk12, 2 colony ship") , with an acknowledgement of completion.  That this isn't a pie-in-the-sky wishlist thing, but something I'll do when I get around to it, is a strength of Star Ruler.  Many on the forums express a desire to make the game slower and the basics more of a hassle that needs more of their attention, and they're also getting their wish.  Until I make that mod, it's still a simple matter to have industrial systems that continuously produce ships, so that you can swing by them, select the lot, pick out the types you want from your selection, and direct them to a rally.  All combat takes place in systems, and ships attack enemies in systems by themselves, so you can indeed stick to movements on a galactic scale, between stars.

"Planetary governors" are a taken joke

But in 1.0.0.6 they've moved to exactly the kind of "I want to plan things out and have it executed" system that you want for fleets.  You can design governors yourself, or pick from "Research World"&c presets.

Where are my countless minions

Here you go: http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=939.0

I really enjoy that, and its small problems (the AI accepts peace deals while I'm waging war; the AI doesn't produce or use ship designs unless I define them in advance and edit them into some XML that tells it what the ships are for; the AI doesn't care if I obsolete its designs) are easily fixed.  #2/#3 will be done today or tomorrow.  #1, I haven't even looked at, but I expect to be able to add a timeout to war declarations.

VulcanTourist

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
I really didn't sign on for another game-in-progress.  I've been-there-done-that before: Sword of the Stars, for instance.  The results are never good.  Master of Orion III might have been another such attempt that failed.  There's no actual contract to serve MY interest in such situations.  I've heard what you said, but I have no reason at all to trust that the game will ever be complete in the fashion I expected, even after shelling out more money for "sequels" that aren't.  Quite frankly I already feel misled.

Impulse has offered me a site credit, IF I get agreement from the developer for it.  Will Blind Mind agree to it?

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »
You need to have them contact us, they never discussed the process for that.

Tkins

• Star Ruler Tester (Group 2)
  • Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 05:16:01 PM »
Exactly my point: it holds itself to the same standard as games of the past, rather than evolving further.  Why should I pay even $20 for a game that has the same scalability issues and other limitations as the dozens of genre games that preceded it?  Blind Mind was crowing about having game universes with 20000 star systems and ships the size of star systems, but good luck actually trying to MANAGE a game on that scale.

You don't seem to grasp what SHOULD be done, so lemme give you an example: rather than having to manually assemble a specific fleet, I should be able to predefine its composition based on a template, and then have that fleet thereafter MANAGE ITSELF, including resupply and replacement of lost ships; I should be able to declare a policy that determines whether a fleet that has lost a critical ship should retreat or hold position and wait for replacements.  Such policies should SCALE with the size of the game environment: fewer and less sweeping at first, many more and grander as the game progresses.  That mirrors reality, not the crap that has passed for strategy thus far in this genre.

I should be able to define policies that govern my empire, rather than me, the Emperor, being personally responsible for micromanaging every little niggling detail.  What, am I the only figure in my military and governmental hierarchy?  Where are my countless minions to carry out my orders IN MY ABSENCE?  This is what policies are for: they're STRATEGIC.  I'm sorry if that's boring for you; maybe you should try a game of tactics instead?  This isn't advertised as such.  "Planetary governors" are a token joke.  A game universe of 20,000 stars may be possible in this game, but it's still no more PLAYABLE than it was in anything that has preceded it.

As whinny and annoying as this post was put, I hope that the criticisms are still acknowledged by the developers. There are many good points within this drivel that would help make this game (especially at the most grandiose levels) into a much more playable and enjoyable experience.

Even more robust governors as well as admirals and system administrators

Empire policies

More in depth relations with the AI

etc, etc

I would like to say though that I completely disagree with vuclan's concerns that this game won't progress into anything to note. In fact, as long as people keep giving feed back and the devs listen, this game could become the one space 4x that really stands above the rest. It's off to a great start so far.

Cheers fellas!

VulcanTourist

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 01:55:30 AM »
You need to have them contact us, they never discussed the process for that.

I asked them to do just that, but it might be as simple as what it said in the reply I got:
If the publisher authorizes a full refund, please have them email support@stardock.com with your ticket ID in the subject line.

I should pass along the ticket ID in private, though, to prevent any crank phone calls.

People hate me for my grumpiness and cynicism without understanding that it was well earned.  I've been gaming longer than most people likely to read this have even been living.  If I'm cranky, it's because I've been waiting a LONG time for the right (software) 4X game, with a lot of promises made over 25 years and not many of them kept.  Very few gamers even remember the 4X board games that preceded this stuff.  Alan Emrich, one of the principals behind MoO III (and coiner of "4X"), was someone I used to see regularly at the Strategicon and Orccon cons that he organized back in the early Eighties; computer games were barely nascent in those days.  An equally old gaming friend has suggested we should just do it ourselves, put our experience to good use to make the game we never got, but that probably won't happen.  Instead I resort to griping at other people to do it the way I've always wanted.  Alan Emrich I'm not.  He's nicer and more realistic.

echo66

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »
I really didn't sign on for another game-in-progress.  I've been-there-done-that before: Sword of the Stars, for instance.  The results are never good.  Master of Orion III might have been another such attempt that failed.  There's no actual contract to serve MY interest in such situations.  I've heard what you said, but I have no reason at all to trust that the game will ever be complete in the fashion I expected, even after shelling out more money for "sequels" that aren't.  Quite frankly I already feel misled.

Impulse has offered me a site credit, IF I get agreement from the developer for it.  Will Blind Mind agree to it?

sword of the stars? a work in progress??!!! wtf?!

Journier

• Rather Die Standing, Than Live Kneeling
  • Star Ruler Beta Tester
  • Sentient
  • Not a moderator.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »
sword of the stars at release for the original game, wasnt exactly perfect.

3 ? expansions or 4? later it played alright :)
I got a killing desire, To spam mah bomber.

Evil Tactician

• ManaPool.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • PC Game Reviews
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 03:59:10 AM »

Mainly because someone is TRYING to blow new life into the genre - which is a very positive thing all by itself.

This could work but only if it's fully customisable, and the player can decide how far the automation and predetermined settings go. E.g. within the fleet settings you have a range of options that enable you to set predetermined actions based on certain events. The ability to save these as templates for future fleets is paramount, so that the player can use different fleets for different purposes. (Defensive, Offensive, etc. etc.)

The main importance is that the player should still be able to manually intervene if desired. That includes manually changing the fleet composition, adding/removing ships, etc etc. As soon as too much control is taken away from the player - the game falls into the same traps as Moo3.

SEIV was an example of fleet organisation done right - though the UI was a bit cumbersome and it did not appeal to less hardcore fans of the genre as a result.

As long as you bear in mind that some players LIKE micromanaging. The main importance is to give the player CHOICE. E.g. the ability to assign a governor that manages things - but also being able to do things yourself if you desire.

Ideally the player should always manage a handful of new worlds and/or hotspots / important locations of his/her choice. The rest of the galactic empire should be running according to settings the player has chosen/pre-set. :)

J.1Life.1Chance

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 06:48:12 PM »
Just a two center.
You know, great job so far Devs. In a world where Devs have to go indie, because none of publishers have the balls to invest in space-related games, its hard to come by a good game. This one definitely has potential. I bought it because i know money makes better games, and so far i like this one.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
Thank you very much.  :)
"Now it will punish you"

Evil Tactician

• ManaPool.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • PC Game Reviews
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
Just a two center.
You know, great job so far Devs. In a world where Devs have to go indie, because none of publishers have the balls to invest in space-related games, its hard to come by a good game. This one definitely has potential. I bought it because i know money makes better games, and so far i like this one.

That's exactly the right attitude. Invest a few pennies here and there in Indie developers that have great ideas and we'd see a much better gaming industry overall.

Begone with the big publishers that release buggy and shallow game experiences for £40 a pop!

iChosen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 12:42:26 AM »
think of it this way........
When Mount and Blade was released it was buggy as hell, ppl still bought it. It is now a very profitable and rewarding game. they were indie Devs
If Star rulers is easy to mod then you will see a massive expansion, which the devs can use to improve...already there patches out that will fix many problems.

Another game is the STALKER series, great game, still buggy but fun as hell. looks don't matter if gameplay is good, different games appeal to different gamers.

Dadekster

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »
Amen to that brother, currently on a nostalgia binge myself. Fired up X-COM and playing SEIV again and both of them have what I would confidently say, outdated graphics  ::)

But man, that hook of one just 5 more minutes/turn is still there even with all the fuzzy looking graphics.  :P

Steiner

• Star Ruler Tester (Group 2)
  • Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »
X-COM

X-COM Apocalypse for life! Don't care why how great Ufo Defense is, APOCALYPSE IS THE BEAST! I f*ing love this game, the absolute best ever made. I just have to play through it once or twice a year at minimum. Since i bought it SOME years ago. I think its time again to kick some Alien butt.

Current Version: 1.5.1 for SR v.1.0.6.2

Winter Born

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 08:50:16 PM »
Waiting for the demo. Moo3 was one of the worst games I ever tried to play. Good Luck guys.
I will be watching.

maxi

• Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 01:05:22 PM »
Waiting for the demo. Moo3 was one of the worst games I ever tried to play. Good Luck guys.
I will be watching.
Personally I like Moo3 although when I began to play it was difficult.

ashen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 12:58:07 AM »
Personally I like Moo3 although when I began to play it was difficult.
I like MoO3 as well and bought the full game.  Very disappointed that the dev's of that game decided to stop working on it.  Modding can only fix so much--and believe me, there are quite a few mods out there that fixed many of the problems left untouched. 

Hopefully, if BMS abandons Star Rulers and stops putting out updates, they'll be kind enough to make it open source so that the fans can continue to work on the game.  If that happened to MoO3, it would be one of the premier 4X games out there.