Author Topic: How do you build your ships  (Read 10471 times)

zibafu

• View Profile
Re: How do you build your ships
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 01:40:30 PM »
I would prefer the fighter drone approach to these countermeasures, really small fighter, with like a focused laser on or something, just so that whilst, they wont do much, theres more harassment going on.

However youve given me an idea, no idea if it would work

fighter hull, antimatter generator, nothing else = space mines, dock them in ships, and just lay them.

or hell do it as a fighter drone, but with antimatter gen on as power, have a tiny gun on so they have to get really close, then when they pop they "might" do some damage to the enemy, dont know how that would work tho in terms of antimatter damage as I aint a ner.... err a very smart person who could calculate the damage :P

but a fighter drone/countermeasure idea is pretty damn cool

could even design a special drone host sort of deal aka a carrier, that just has ship construction on, salvager, mining laser on, and tons of armor and shields that you launch with fleets, so it just sits back and builds as ships get destroyed...
does the standard carrier do that actually? never bothered looking at it

jonuts

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 03:01:20 AM »
The problem with your AM mine idea is that if they get shot while undocking, you're going to get a massive chain reaction in the middle of your fleet. It'll be flashy at least :)

Bos187

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 03:36:51 PM »
I alway make sure my ships are bigger than anything what computers throw at me.

I also love making independent ships. All of them computer core controlled.
All of them have antimatter engines (dunno if they're exclusive to Galactic Armory mod)
damn i love antimatter
Mostly energy weapons, but if I use ammo consumers, I outfit the ship with quantum compressed ammo fabricators.
and mass mounts, (a bigger version of the rack mount in Galactic Armory) effectively firing a beam of missiles/plasmabolts/etc.
And I've never built a ship without shields(except for scouts/colony ships).
Same goes for jump drive. Most of my ships are 1K and bigger, so they can all jump to another galaxy with a 0.13 jump drive

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »
1) design ~15 minutes fuel, since after 15 minutes they will be 2+ techs out of date anyway and in need of refit or in battle and hopelessly obsolete

2) design for maximum damage output in smallest possible time, keep enough ammo for ~3 mins firing max (bring ammo tankers)

3) put huge shields & chargers on external mounts

4) 1.0 ablative armour outside , 3.0 reactive armour inside

5) fill all excess space with bulkheads on the armour, because bulkheads are incredibly cheap, much cheaper than armour.
I Make the Bread

chesehead

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:51 PM »
I'm still pretty new to the game but I usually only build a couple types of ships. 
Carrier is pretty standard, plenty of shielding, has some repair equipment, and massive hanger bays, usually 50%+ of the ship, with some armor on a standard hull. 
Standard battleship has couple shield generators, some size 2 railguns, and an external mounted size 4 rail gun.  I then just load up armor on it untill the speed of the ship is .002 (Might be a bug with armor not taking up size, but I haven't played long)
I sometimes build a slightly smaller ship, still uses railguns as the primary weapon, but size 4 externally mounted torp tube.  Their generally cheaper, and provide some numbers.  Also sheilded. 
I really enjoy using battlestations since I'm pretty defense minded.  I usually use two types, one with massive artillary weapons, and another that uses railguns and plasma throwers.  This gives me complete coverage.  With all gun systems for all my designs I usually use the cooling system, but I might try using a rack mount. I also use computers for controling everthing.  Also for fuel size, I try to give them about 5 mins worth, or half for carrier based aircraft. 

DarkyPwnz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 09:43:27 AM »
Without long range weapons slow designs won't be really successful. Sounds like a case of "I will kick your ass so bad... When I get there"

flopsies

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 01:15:33 AM »
giant, particle cannons, and jump drives.  Nuff said

S1lverhair

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »
I use mobile shipyards, planet rapers and oversize dreadnoughts

as soon as i hit advpart fabs and external mounts i build a mobile shipyard (20 scale, solar panels, ramjet, no fuel consumtion and construction bays on external mounts).

i follow this up with small refinery ships (lots of storage and enough fab capacity to completely produce its target ware) about size 10. They come in 3 varieties, adv, metal and elec. i set the ship AI to supply (important that this is right) and use them to fuel the construction of more of their kind.

at this point i upscale my shipyard then my refineries until i am happy 20->100->1000->5000. at this point the refinery ships can strip a large planet to the bones in minutes (thus planet rapers) and when the system runs out of ore i just relocate to the next system.

if im playing dirty i use the salvage loop exploit to remove the need to change systems.

at this point i build comicly large battleships and kill anything i can catch. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:51:35 PM by S1lverhair »

Kraizer

• View Profile
    • 88Flak Freelancer Mod
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
I too use a fairly systematic means of designing and naming ships.  These two schemes are based on size and role.  As far as size, (Not including Fighters), Corevettes occupy the smallest category at <4, going up to Battleships at >256.

The role scheme is fairly straightforward

Light:  Designed for speed.  Usually I keep these with lots of small racked weapons for engaging smaller targets or close-range ones.

Heavy:  Less designed for speed as they are in staying power.  Speed helps the Light type ships escape battles, while the Heavy are designed to stay in it.  Endurance is the name of the game.

Siege:  Heavy, Chemical-Bomb-Equipped ships designed to be able to take out planetery defenses and nuke the population.

Logistics:  While all of my ships have a repair tool SOMEWHERE in their designs, these are less focussed on firepower as they are on supporting friendly ships.  Also has large amounts of fuel and ammo stored to share with allied ships.

Slave:  Equipped with fighter bays.

Sniper:  Designed to out-range targets with high-alpha weapons.

It may seem a bit excessive, but obviously I don’t have designs for ALL the possibilities.  Some designs would be fairly useless (Slave Corvette, for example) or there’s no real niche for.  The naming scheme is really helpful for me to know at-a-glance what that ship was designed to do without having to check the blueprints too heavily each time I import a design.  Light Cruiser, Slave Battleship, Logistics Frigate, all are pretty descriptive and that’s the use.  Plus, since most of the designs I have are already designed, its not as stressful working with the ships either... I think I’ve only designed maybe 1-2 new ships to fill various niche roles in my fleet in the past 4-5 games.
--
The most common phenomenon in Evolution, is when nature experiments.
The measure of which, is extinction.

Skye

• Sentient
  • OMG WTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 01:01:24 AM »
i tend to wait out the ai and hope they attack each other while i tech up to lvl 8+ then pump out a massive drydock too pump out even bigger ships i call starcasters (http://starruler.blind-mind.com/designs/view/335 for anyone who is interested) at this tech level they can deal 320k damage with the smallest plasma thrower with a 2ish second cool down. at about 4hours in they can solo most fleets and can move fast enough to keep them playing catchup exposing it to minimum damage whilst firing back.

that is untill i can build these monsters: http://starruler.blind-mind.com/designs/view/336 it is bassically the same but with slightly smaller weapons for higher dps and a large laser turret for something bigger than 1k. works pretty well but they are damn expensive, i have yet to try them against humans but they work well against most ai ship designs 4h in.
SpeedDaemon said: " The jump drive is the single most powerful system in the game. A big bad-ass ship/fleet is useless if it can't get to where it needs to be bad-ass AT before the situation requiring its bad-assery is resolved."

Captain_Beal

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
Wow, it seems I'm the only one here that takes a more indirect approach. I have alot of experience with getting my size 200 ships destroyed by the AIs size 60 ships. It seemed no matter what modifications I slapped on, I just couldn't quite cut through most of them. I designed a ship that is now my favorite, and I call it the Disruptor.

The Disruptor is a size 200 ship with at least 8x .25 reverse inductors, and mount racks. lots of armor, repair bay, and 2x .50 attraction beams. a fleet of 10 Disruptors is enough to disable plenty of enemy ship within range. The reason I love this ship is because its practically a 1 shot kill. The enemy ships approach to attack, get sucked in by beams, then get disabled by the inductors. They turn grey and continue to just float past my fleet, helpless, doomed to death in deep space. Its beautiful.

If I'm attacking or cleaning up a system, Disruptors are fantastic because they leave behind a ton of junk for my salvagers to take care of. So not only am I disabling ships before they get to cause any damage, but I'm also reaping the resources of an undamaged ship. Its like creating your own little asteroid field!
I will post the blueprint at some point, but I would highly recommend experimenting with reverse inductors. They can be pretty powerful.

Other than that, I always end up building some crazy solo Super Battleship with a variety of weapons and of course the planet destroyer- the DSM. I just take that to each system and eventually start taking out planets :)
I made it size 100k once. That was fun..

TheLastTimeLord

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »
Plasma lasers are, in my experience, the most efficient DPS weapon out there in the low, mid, and lower high tech levels. Shields up, armor up, two plasma lasers and some giant coolant subsystems and you've got 200k Alpha weapons firing once every half second or so.

That's my standard weapon set up. For total galactic domination I sit and brood while I research higher and higher and higher techs. Once I get the Matter Generator and the Tachyon Cannon all I do is make a giant (5-10k scale) Constructor vessel to drop "Archangel Defense Grid" stations (scale 5,000 stations) which are armed with 2 oversized Tachyon cannons, 4 Antimatter cannons, and 8 plasma lasers. The range from the tachyon cannons ensures that you can reach anything in the system. The antimatter cannons obliterate fleets. The plasma lasers clean up whats left. One shot wonder every time.

When the going gets tough, scale up another 5k!