Author Topic: Game won't start on Windows Vista/7 64-bit  (Read 6671 times)

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Game won't start on Windows Vista/7 64-bit
« on: July 07, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »
Some players have experienced issues getting the game to start. If you are running on 64-bit Windows 7, please try the following steps:

Install oalinst.exe, located in the Star Ruler folder.

Copy 'C:\Windows\System32\OpenAL32.dll' into 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64'

If you experience this issue, please report whether or not this worked.

Thanks to cloudybay for this potential solution.

Archer

• View Profile
Re: Game won't start on Windows Vista/7 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:54:30 PM »
After copying the file over to the SysWOW64 folder, I attempted to start SR and got this error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

Sadness now flows through my blood from a lack of SR T_T

EDIT: Problem solved by uninstalling, repairing MS C++ stuffs, and re-installing game.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:49:22 PM by Archer »

deadman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:55:19 PM »
Tried what is shown above for both posters.  Game still does not work. 

Starman001

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »
Same for me  :'( I upgraded to W7 64 bit today, the game is now no longer functional. I tried both described ideas, and I'm getting the same error message. Game completly refuses to start.

(edit) I tried a bit here and there, and got it to run. It did so earlier, but it was very slow, something was fishy so I started to mess around with it. But then it didn't start at all.

Here is what I did to make it run :

I uninstalled the game, the X86 AND the x64 redistributable. After that, I download newer versions directly from Microsoft, seem to be a tad newer (04/2011). I installed both versions, after that I installed the game again. WHEN THE GAME WANTED TO INSTALL THE MS STUFF; I CANCELLED IT SO I CAN KEEP THE NEWER STUFF. I also downloaded an OAL version from the web, but I doubt it has something special. BUT THE GAME DEFINITLY DON'T LIKE THE OpenAL32.dll file in the SysWOW64 Folder, do not copy it there. After I removed it, I was getting rid of the error message and the game finally starts. So obviously It needs it in System32.

I hope I can now play without problems.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:09:00 PM by Starman001 »

Scifibookguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
I came to this thread from a link in the Star Ruler forum on Steam: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1981921. Anyway, I wanted to say that I got Star Ruler working in Windows 7 64-bit by 1) turning off anti-virus, 2) running "oalinst.exe" which is located in the "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Ruler" directory (I just double-clicked the file to run it). After that the game works :) No moving of files around was necessary.

tsujiban

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 10:41:26 PM »
Version 1.2.1.2 is working now on my machine, but it still won't start on my wife's machine.  Both machines are 64-bit Win7.  Is there a log file or dxdiag output or something I could post here that might be helpful?  I ran the .exe recommended above, I copied the .dll into SysWOW64, still no good.

My understanding is that the problem is with sound drivers?  Even a version without sound, or an option to disable sound drivers, or *anything* really would be better than the whole program just not starting up.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:47:46 PM by tsujiban »

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:29 PM »
Did you copy the OpenAL32.dll into Star Ruler's folder? (Not the system folder, something is causing a conflict)

tsujiban

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:24:22 PM »
she tried that, no dice.  Is there a way we can determine where the conflict is coming from?  is there some other location this dll might also live?  We are using Steam, and we have deleted local content for Star Ruler, and reinstalled, but that didn't do it either.  Can we run Star Ruler with a switch that will turn on verbose logging or something?

OK, she just now said that she double-clicked on StarRuler.exe directly from the file manager, and she gets an error:

"MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer"

...while I can run it that way from the file manager just fine... this isn't like a .NET thing is it?

tsujiban

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 11:27:39 PM »
so she found vcredist_x86.exe on microsoft.com which is some patch that's supposed to install a bunch of C++ dependencies, and Star Ruler started up.  Yay!  That download is at:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

P.Funk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 07:18:28 AM »
Well I've tried everything mentioned in both this thread and the one on the steam users forum. I cannot get it to launch properly regardless of the combination solutions in here I try.

Reinstalling, uninstalling, repairing, any of the C++ redistributables  doesn't change anything whether its before, after, or without uninstalling Star Ruler, copying over the OpenAL.dll from System32 to Syswow64 doesn't work, nor does deleting it from one or both folders, while copying either to my main Star Ruler folder gives me the same crash as using the default SysWow64 version which is installed by the oalinst.exe, and I might add I tried using both the one that comes with the game and the one that you can get from the creative website.

Overall I'm pretty turned off at this point. The problem really seems that nobody has really nailed down what the problem is specifically despite it apparently being a pretty common x64 issue. Everyone who's solved it seems to have a different story and those bastards who fixed it just by using oalinst don't help much cause apparently there's some software or hardware configuration which causes many of us to not enjoy that simple solution.

Any ideas on how to fix this? My last hope is to try it on a virtual machine, but I'm not sure that's the solution here.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
Have you tried running it in XP Compatability mode?  Just on the off chance you haven't.

The problem really seems that nobody has really nailed down what the problem is specifically despite it apparently being a pretty common x64 issue.
Yep.  What's worse, we can't replicate the problem on any of our rigs.  We're fairly sure it's some sort of user-side misconfiguration (e.g. missing OS updates, 'bad' UAC configurations, weird software conflicts, etc.) but I don't think we can be absolutely sure on that.  Just mostly sure.
"Now it will punish you"