Author Topic: Quasar destruction  (Read 1934 times)

rogerano

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Quasar destruction
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:39:07 PM »
I recently decided to experiment with star destruction, which is pretty interesting I suppose.

One thing led to another and I ended up designing a ship specifically for destroying the quasar. Took a while to build, but I eventually turned out a couple of 1mil scale ships equipped with a size 4 DSM (and a jump drive). Tech level was 22 by the time I began chipping away at the quasar.

My empire occupied a 250 system galaxy when I began this foolish experiment. After the quasar exploded, I probably had less than 20 intact systems left. It would seem that damage output is finite and some stars (and thus systems) will survive. My ringworld also survived. The 1m scale ships also survived because as soon as the star began its destruction sequence, I jumped them away. Cool.

It also seems that some planets are able to withstand the destruction of their system star, though I'm pretty sure they're always on the outer edge of the solar system and / or have a lot of HP. In any case, though the quasar detonation destroyed many suns, many planets remained.

So when the dust settled, I built many colony ships and off they went colonising planets in sunless solar systems. Pretty soon I was back to maybe 1/2 the economy I had before the detonation.

I'll post some screen-shots later.

rogerano

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: Quasar destruction
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »

maxi

• Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:04:31 AM »
Quasar destruction looks fantastic!

jonuts

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
I'm disappointed. I blew the quasar like 5 minutes ago. It took out most the stars in the galaxy, but the planets were untouched. Literally untouched. Still at full HP. Bug, or working as intended, or does the fact that the planets were occupied by a tech 40 civ make them hardier than the stars themselves?

Note: I just started a size 150 spherical galaxy, tech 40, made 150 scouts, batch made upsized colony ships, populated the galaxy, made a size 1M ship with 2 size 4 DSM's, jumped it to the quasar, and blew it.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
or does the fact that the planets were occupied by a tech 40 civ make them hardier than the stars themselves?

Yes, it does.

jonuts

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:48:37 PM »
Considering my experiences to date with my colonies be 1-shot by a ship passing through the system, I'd never have guessed. Thanks for the reply :)

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:25:03 PM »
Considering my experiences to date with my colonies be 1-shot by a ship passing through the system, I'd never have guessed. Thanks for the reply :)

I never said they could hold up to ships, I just said they were hardier than stars. Which they are, keeping in mind just how fast T40 ships blow up stars ;)

Volley

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 03:22:23 AM »
Sounds like somewhere between tech 30 and 40 we need a Tech that allows a civilisation to protect a star! :)