Author Topic: How to Break the SR Economy  (Read 8887 times)

spyre2000

• Distracted
    • View Profile
How to Break the SR Economy
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »
Much of what I'm going to cover in this thread is how to push the economy in your game to the point where you leave the AI in the dust even on a fraction of the total planets. It is not a specific step by step process but more of an under lining discussion on what factors come into play and how you can use them to their full potential and elevate your strategies to a whole new level. Much of the stuff covered also tends to come into play late game when curtain subsystems become available so you will need to adapt as you see fit. So let's begin.

Building Ratios:
The topic of cities and work rate comes up a lot in the forums and is bounces around on how to calculate the best ratio given that tech increases reduce the number of cities required to maintain the workers. Well after some number crunching I realized a fairly simple pattern in that you want a 1:1 ratio of cities to production building (Metal/Elec/Adv). This is regardless of tech level, planetary conditions, or any other factors. I know this sounds counter intuitive but there is a reason for this.

In order to figure out the production output for a planet you need to do the following equation:
PC = Planetary City Modifier
PF = Planetary Factory Modifier
C = Number of Cities
F = Number of Factories
CP = Per City Population (Worker rate Bonus per city)
FP = Per Factory Production

(PC * C * CP) * (PF * F * FP) = Total Output

We can use some simple algebraic manipulation to reorganize it into (PC * CP * PF * FP) * (C * F). Since everything on the left is out of your control when building on an individual planet it can be treated as a constant and simplified to (Constant) * (C * F). This essentially leaves us with trying to maximize C * F. And as we know the way to get the highest product from any combination of two numbers who have the same sum (aka total slots available) is to take half the sum. Thus if you have 10 slots you will want 5 C and 5 F.

In the case of odd number of slots available it does actual favor building an additional factory. This is because the Capital provides a small amount of population which essentially acts like a fraction of a city in the equation. Since the capital never techs up though this difference becomes less significant as the game progresses.

At lower tech levels this building ratio may not appear to clearly have an advantage, but the higher your tech becomes in social the more obvious it's advantages become. It also has the benefit of never needing to reorganize your city/factory ratios as tech increases. Though on the tech front if you look at the equation above and draw out the FP and CP which are affected by tech level the same rules apply in that it's better to keep metallurgy and social on equal tech level to maximize your production.

Demands of the People:
The obvious down side of this is because you are not building the minimum number of cities like most people tend to suggest is that your are going to require a lot more food, goods, and lux then other strategies. This is easy enough to deal with since Goods and Lux supplies do not use up your precious star port traffic and food uses only a minor amount from the starport.

On this front it is often better to have specialized worlds devoted to producing these goods instead of putting them on your resource production worlds. The reason for this is because of the exponential factor when cities/factories combine. If you take 20 slots and fill it up with cities and factories that is basically 10 * 10 * Constant = 100C (C is Production/Worker rate equation from above). Now if you use up 4 of those slots for food/goods/lux then it drops to 8 * 8 * C = 64C which is a loss of 36C production. So you are effectively producing 1/3 less for cost of 1/5 of the buildings.

This compounding effect is the reason I tend to try and focus on make planets around 30 slots or higher as my main production centers. While planets under 15 slots are marked as farm/goods/lux/science worlds right away. Because a 15 slot world won't simply produce 1/2 the resources of a slot 30 it will produce maybe 1/4-1/5 as much. The 15-30 slot range depends on what my empire needs and planetary conditions.

Stations & Dry Docks:
Now it's time to take things to an even higher level as we get into the area that relies on late game tech. That of courses is where Elec Fabs and Adv Fabs come into play.

As many of you may know it takes 1 Metal to make 1 Electronic, while it takes 1 Metal & 1 Elec to make 1 Adv Part. For those looking to maximize their production however the fact that Elec and Adv factories produce at a much lower rate means that they are not getting the full potential out of their planets. This is because if you have 1 of each factory on the planet and let's say their production rates are as follows: 1K Metal, 500 Elec, and 250 Adv. Then after production runs you will have 250 Metal, 250 Elec, and 250 Adv or a grand total of 750 resources produced in 1 tick which is pitiful.

Now if we instead have 3 Metal factories then the planet's production is effectively 3K resources per tick. To produce the Elec and Adv Parts our empire needs we build Stations with Elec and Adv Fabs in orbit and have them fetch Metal when low and deposit Elec/Adv as they fill up. Now let's say we put station with a 1K Elec and 500 Adv in orbit. So the planet's production becomes 3K Metal, 1K Elec, 500 Adv which after Elec/Adv cost is net production of 1.5K Metal, 500 Elec, and 500 Adv for a total of 2.5K resources per tick from that same planet which only had 750 when everything was planet side.

These stations can be separate specialized stations or they can also be your dry docks. Personally I prefer to keep them separate as it makes it easier the manage the Elec/Adv Ratios. But it is still important to have a dry dock because of the reasons mentioned previously in that you don't want to waste slots on secondary buildings such as Ship Yards.

Space Ports & Cargo Bays:
As many already know Space Ports do not scale up as fast as production buildings due to the effect of worker rate on their production. Because of this it is not long into the game that space ports become nearly worthless. You will need to maintain at least 1 on your production planets to import food. But as far as exporting all those resources it is much better to build Export Docks in orbit and save space on the planet.

Cargo Bays actually become an important part of this strategy the later your get into the game. The reason for this is you will reach a point when your produce more per tick then your planet can hold. This can be combated in a number of ways, first is to increase the cargo hold size which 1 cargo bay tends to help a lot early on but even that won't be enough as exponential growth of your production takes over. The second method is to lower the game speed, this is because of the way the game handles time compression only a part of the production will be done each tick at the slower speeds. This gives your stations in orbit a chance to pick up the resources before the next cycle.

More stations don't really solve this problem as production and station pickup happen at different times. However if your stations are not using/export enough you might want to increase them so that your not wasting production potential.

General Tips & Conclusion:
I'd say the trickiest part of this is keeping in mind you need food/goods/lux for all those cities. It can be very tempting early game as your expanding to build a lot of planets up like this as most people go for the big planets first. However if your people are starving and your moral is negative then your production will come to crawl and you'll find yourself worst off then you would of been with a more generic setup like the AI govs use.

The space ports are still useful early game and you may want to suffer the production hit by putting up a few so that you can grow your empire faster. But as the game progresses and you get export docks it's best to scrap all but one on your production worlds.

I have used this strategy to great effect against 3 hardest AI w/CheatsON in size 150 galaxy. I controlled less then 1/10 of the total systems and yet I was still able to out produce the AI and drive them back even at a tech disadvantage. By the time I actually got close to controlling 1/10 the by conquering another 4 systems I had become #1 in econ and military.

The benefits of this strategy is also the reduced need for micro-management. I tend to setup my worlds and leave them be since you don't need to change any of the ratios around. For stations in orbit I refit them as need be and usually have more then 1 so that Elec/Adv will still be produced while one station is being refitted. The Dry Docks are often set to Repeat build so i can be sure the resources are being spent and not going to waste. I spend most of my timing playing with ship designs and setting up building queue on new planets while leaving the govs to Renovate only.

Using this setup on Ring World is amusing as I can easily get over +1G resources from it at the same tech level it requires to build it. This is likely to be more then your whole empire combined. Heck I dare say it's probably more then the whole galaxy production rate and will let you build Size 1M ships like nothing. I usually use it to build a huge construction ship with enough resources to build another ring world then go around plopping down ring worlds and empire set to R&D world as default govs so they all become science worlds and watch as I research tech items in the mid 20s in 2-3 mins.

And just for kicks as a closing thought the reason for the title is because you literally push the economy to it's breaking point as your production goes so high you can't even store as much as you produce in a single tick. :)

Aquila_27

• View Profile
Re: How to Break the SR Economy
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
Ho! Thats a gem! I use a similar tactic, but you make it a more efficient way that I do I believe, that strategy is really well though. 

Just 2 question, I usualy make my electric facility a bit bigger then the A-P one, trying to make it so I end up with a 2:1 ratio of Electric and A-P, what the ratio you use?

And, I guess you make your export facility big enough to be able to export all the extra metal from your planet too, is it?  Im making mine just enough to export the electric and A-P I make, and leave the metal export with the planet's starport, wich is why I think your way is more efficient, but I was worry about my station filling with metal, or my planet ending up at 0 metal, it being all exported, or some weird thing like that...

Nice tread anyway ;-)
Thumbs up

spyre2000

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
Just 2 question, I usually make my electric facility a bit bigger then the A-P one, trying to make it so I end up with a 2:1 ratio of Electric and A-P, what the ratio you use?
Do you mean production ratio or the net production? Because a setup with a fab that produces 2K Elec and a 1K Adv Fab will result in net production of 1K Elec and 1K Adv which is a result of net ratio of 1:1. To get a net ratio of 2:1 you would need 3K Elec and 1K Adv.

Either way I tend to aim for the closer to a net ratio of 1.5:1 because I play GA and most of the late game designs have high Adv cost that is close to the same Elec cost.

And, I guess you make your export facility big enough to be able to export all the extra metal from your planet too, is it?  Im making mine just enough to export the electric and A-P I make, and leave the metal export with the planet's starport, wich is why I think your way is more efficient, but I was worry about my station filling with metal, or my planet ending up at 0 metal, it being all exported, or some weird thing like that...
This is the reason for the dry dock. Because of the "imbalance" of an import dock there is not one in the game. This means as the game progresses it becomes completely impractical to try and move those resources off world since you won't be able to withdraw them from the GB fast enough, it's why even in regular games most people end up with mountains of stockpiled resources in GB. The result is these resource worlds become ship production centers. I put the dry dock in orbit on Repeat build for whatever design I need and increase the size as need be to keep up with the resource production.

I use export docks early on at resource worlds to help supplement the expansion of the empire. As the game progresses into later tech your production on resources worlds will be higher then if you filled every slot on the planet with space ports which is why it slowly reduce the size of the export docks until they are .25 or in some cases remove them all together on some worlds. Mostly because by late game my GB stockpiles are so large I don't need to export from the resource worlds. My Mining ships with Fabs & Exports provide more than enough to my GB to meet what little demands my planets have for upgrading structures.

The station should not fill up because you fetch metal and then deposit the Elec/Adv back onto the planet so their is a cycle. The extra cargo bay structure helps add extra room to stock pile those Elec/Adv. Then you have the dry dock in orbit which fetches all 3 either from the planet or station thanks to the "Fetch" automation command which is uses to build the ships.

The way to know if you need to increase something is if your planet side stock piles of metal are full. This means that your dry dock is not using them fast enough to out match ship production. This is either because the dry dock is not large enough or because the dry dock is being bottle necked by shortages of Elec/Adv in which case you need to increase the number or size of your Fab Stations.

It's not actually a bad thing if your planet has 0 Metal since it produces so much of it. The only metal it would need is for construction or it's own Elec/Adv Factories and that stuff is calculated when production is run so any extra your free to export up to the Fab Station or Dry Dock. The only reason hitting 0 Metal would be a concern is if the planet was mostly an import world and thus relied on starport where it could have shortage problems. And of course the other other concern of 0 Metal is that your not exporting it which is fine since your don't really need to anyway.

Much of this is an evolving strategy, in that you have to know how to work the economy to get the most out of it. And as the tech level changes there are some changes that need to be made along the way, such as the scrapping Elec/Adv Factories to build those stations. And of course you need to take into account the sitituation your in as well as your own ship designs. It's best to look at the cost of your ships to determine what kind of Elec/Adv ratio you will need.

The underlying mechanics for getting the most out of the economy are the same but each person needs to make minor tweeks to fit their own play style. For example since I play mostly the GA mod I use the Specific Ore type Cargo Holds on my Fab stations to ensure the proper stockpiled amount. I also tend to have a little higher Elec/Adv Fab production then needed so I can keep a bit of a stockpile on the planet which the 1 starport slowly exports. This is because the starport is there for food import but also if I didn't it would import Elec/Adv thinking there was a shortage and thus put a drain on GB. And even though I say not to waste a slot on a ship yard cause it reduces production I often build one to first setup the station and dry dock then dismantle it when they are done, otherwise it takes a LONG time to build them. 

blacksmithgu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »
So, in essence you build super-specialized worlds with little more than cities and factories, using external stations for transferring materials to the galactic bank and for ship production.

The problem here is station import/export rate is dependent on your Space Port import/export rate, making this strategy diffiult early on.

Later on, with ~10+ economics, it's not a problem to have only 1 or 2 spaceports.

spyre2000

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
So, in essence you build super-specialized worlds with little more than cities and factories, using external stations for transferring materials to the galactic bank and for ship production.
Pretty much.
The problem here is station import/export rate is dependent on your Space Port import/export rate, making this strategy diffiult early on.

Later on, with ~10+ economics, it's not a problem to have only 1 or 2 spaceports.
There is no import station in the game and even though I mentioned I play GA I think the current import dock sucks so I don't use it. They are changing it for next release of the mod cause it seems even they think it wasn't working that well.

And yes I do use station side export docks once they are available to help fund my empire's growth, since most planets don't need a steady supply of resources after their initial setup they also don't require a lot of space ports. This happens around tech 4 as I recall so it's easy enough to do early on. And the number of planet side space ports you have don't have any effect on Export Docks in VG or GA so you can have as many or as few as you want.

But import/export doesn't really matter as most of the resources are meant for ship production. When you have a single world that pumps out enough resources to equal several times as many "normal" worlds and put them into ship building you are able to build whole fleets or really large ships very fast. It also makes managing your empire easier since you have focused production centers instead of needing to haul resources all over the place.

As for not dropping to 1 space port till tech 10+, I did mention that it was a late game strategy as in VG you can't get Adv Part Fab for stations until tech 10 anyway. Combine with the fact it's as much a guide to the economy as it is a strategy since I mostly talk about how to maximize your planet's potential and not a list of things to do first, second, third, and so on.

With this setup an empire with a few worlds like this can easily out produce an empire several times it's size and planet count. I know because I've done this many times. But it's up the each person to adapt things to suit their own needs. Because when it comes down to efficiency a 1:1 ratio of cities and factories is always going to yield the highest output. So even if you don't go real heavy on production as I do it's still best to shoot for that ratio. As well as the off world Elec/Adv Fab stations.

EDIT:
However if you are looking for early game strategies here is what I usually do. First I top of my homeworld with Cities because it always starts with too few for the 1:1 ratio. Next I build Dry Dock followed by ordering it to build enough colony ships to colonize all the planets in my system. I then reduce the Hauler design size to 1 and build 20-30 so they can move the resources off my homeworld to the other planets in system. I have the other worlds build extra food/goods/lux so that I can scrap the ones on my homeworld to increase production even more. Once they are nearly completely developed I begin colonizing the next system out. I look for one with a large planet to use as the production center and use extra haulers in that system to help with the early resource distribution.

My Homeworld quickly becomes the first production center for ships and supplies much of the early forces to my empire. As I setup at least one production center in each system during early expansion I often switch them to repeat build military ships depending on the state of my economy.

As I stated in my general tips though keep an eye on food/goods/lux since population growth takes a while after the cities are build it can be easy to not realize you don't have enough to support all the cities you just built. I've fallen victim to that myself a few times starting out.

If you start at tech 10 or higher you can immediately implement this in it's full glory without the early growing pains so it's fun to see in action.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:47:35 PM by spyre2000 »

Redryder

• The Evil Fanboy
  • Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
Awesome. I've been playing since release, and totally unaware of most of this information! Thanks so much for sharing!

Exa

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 02:58:51 AM »
This works great :)

The only thing that requires to get used when following spyre's advice are the extra requirements of food, goods and luxuries - all these people in the cities eat a lot! :)

mindloss

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the nice writeup! I used approximately the same setup on a ringworld yesterday and can confirm the output is ridiculous; it was churning out up to 5G or so mins at one point. When I made a cargo ship to fill up to go pop another ringworld, it filled up in easily under ten seconds. The multiplier gets up to something like 2000x, or was for me in early 20s tech anyway. You can pretty much stream 10K-100K ships, and even a 10M ship will take a reasonable amount of time if you've balanced right.

Did you mention needing shipyards? (I read this when you first posted and just got around to replying now.) It seems like you do in order to get the labor component. I know cities provide some labor, but I think I remember having problems until I threw some shipyards into the mix...

About the ratio of Adv:Elec:Min, that's a little trickier than just using 2:1 logic or what have you, since facilities on the same tech level don't give you proportions that are so cut-and-dried. I was trying to work this problem out myself the other day. The numbers I saw for production rate at level 2 (I'm almost certain the ratios remain the same through levels) were something like 9.8 adv produced, 15.6 elec, and... maybe 125 min?

I don't remember, but it's not too important because the point I'm trying to make is that if you really want to be perfectionist about that part of it, first you have to figure out what you want your goal product ratio to be--different play styles will have mildly different ideal ratios--and then figure out how you can closely approximate that with actual discrete numbers of production buildings. I believe I found the easiest small ratio that was fairly close was a 3:4:3 A/E/M, which I think yields something like 1 : 1.1 :8 ish. I remember 4:5:4 also worked well, but weighted it a little more towards Adv. Worth noting that 1:1:1 and 1:2:1 have pretty abysmal results with regards to what you eventually want, so if you're putting down sets of those, make sure you're balancing that out elsewhere using dirty dirty spaceports or something. That is all.

(At some point, I mean to get around to working up a spreadsheet or app that lets you provide your ideal product ratios, and comes back with suggestions for building ratios; if I get fancy, maybe it would even include build order recommendation and/or take planet/trait bonuses into account.)

Edit: Just realized you were maybe referring to orbital elec/adv fabs, not the planetary ones. I tend to pay way more attention to the super-early game stuff, so that's what I was going on about. :)  Also, please add this to the wiki! It seems stagnant, and I wish we could turn it into a comprehensive resource. Writeups like this are a perfect start.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:04:05 AM by mindloss »

spyre2000

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 12:41:42 AM »
Did you mention needing shipyards? (I read this when you first posted and just got around to replying now.) It seems like you do in order to get the labor component. I know cities provide some labor, but I think I remember having problems until I threw some shipyards into the mix...
I only mention that you don't want to build them because they take up slots and reduce your overall production. I do however mention that because of labor you want to use dry docks to build ships. Also recall mentioning in one of the above post that it's fine to build a shipyard to speed along the production of a dry dock then dismantle it when complete.

About the ratio of Adv:Elec:Min, that's a little trickier than just using 2:1 logic or what have you, since facilities on the same tech level don't give you proportions that are so cut-and-dried.
Edit: Just realized you were maybe referring to orbital elec/adv fabs, not the planetary ones.
Yes I was referring to orbital fabs and it wasn't a recommended ratio. It was just one I picked for the example. I was manly showing how with obital fabs the planet become over 3 times as productive. If you weren't using orbital fabs and you thought your ring world production was crazy before you should see it with them. ;)

Also there is no "perfect ratio" to shoot for. This is because everyone's strategy varies and the ratio of resources that they will need also varies. It's why I didn't make a recommendation on what M/E/A ratio to shoot for because it all depends on the player.

YAHG

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 01:05:57 AM »
Wow that was really cool. Thank you. The comp has even less of a chance now 8).

mindloss

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 01:21:45 AM »
I only mention that you don't want to build them because they take up slots and reduce your overall production. I do however mention that because of labor you want to use dry docks to build ships. Also recall mentioning in one of the above post that it's fine to build a shipyard to speed along the production of a dry dock then dismantle it when complete.

Sorry, I was writing that while exhausted and didn't re-read your post... makes sense of course.

Yes I was referring to orbital fabs and it wasn't a recommended ratio. It was just one I picked for the example. I was manly showing how with obital fabs the planet become over 3 times as productive.

Yep, no arguments here. The main problem I'm having is trying to decide how to divide up tasks between
  • a default defense station that most planets will have,
  • a station with exporting ability,
  • a station with elec/adv fab ability.

Hmm. Maybe I should divide 'em up just like that. :P I'm a huge fan of multifunctionality, though... less micro pain on my brain...

Also there is no "perfect ratio" to shoot for. This is because everyone's strategy varies and the ratio of resources that they will need also varies.

Semi-argument here. I agree for sure there's no perfect ratio, but I am reasonably sure nearly everyone's product usage ends up in the same ballpark, which I think is roughly 1:1:8. I would be surprised if many people deviated more than 20% or so from that (or whatever the mean ratio of all players is) and therefore think it's worth the time to know your ratios and how to get from here to there, even if it is slightly off from what you personally use -- you can always tweak a couple buildings/fabs. Honestly, I mostly care because I like eating numbers.  :D

Aquila_27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »
Semi-argument here. I agree for sure there's no perfect ratio, but I am reasonably sure nearly everyone's product usage ends up in the same ballpark, which I think is roughly 1:1:8. I would be surprised if many people deviated more than 20% or so from that (or whatever the mean ratio of all players is) and therefore think it's worth the time to know your ratios and how to get from here to there, even if it is slightly off from what you personally use -- you can always tweak a couple buildings/fabs. Honestly, I mostly care because I like eating numbers.  :D

The one main thing that is different from peoples to peoples is how much armor you put on your print, that can make a huge difference on the ratio of metal toward Elec and A-P  Since all your basic planet production is going to be metal, you just adjust, and build more fabrication station if your skyrocketing with your metal production.  As for  the Elec/A-P ration on the station itself, Id say its between 1:1 and 2:1.  Mine lean more toward the 2:1 ratio, and like I said, if I get too much metal, I just build more fabrication station, If your planet are not empty of Ore you have to be carefull thou, soon enough you might end up with too many Elec/A-P when your metal production get to 20% on all those planet.

ac_snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 12:12:09 AM »
Gonna go ahead and post here because I think this deserves a bump for usefulness.  Oh and Hi.  I'm new and this is my first post.
Started my first real game after playing a big chunk of tutorial.  1.2.0 vanilla, 100 stars, 3 trivial ai's, everything else unchanged.  No race traits selected.  Got about 12-15 mins in doing a pretty good job of overexpanding without the economic base to support it.  Had presence in four systems, 8 planets colonized with 6 planets available in those four systems.  Call it intuition or having picked up enough from the forums to set up the warning sirens, but I could see the economy swirling the drain.  I knew I was about to crap out but no idea why or what to do.
Found this post and I feel it's real brilliance is as a guide to the economic model more than exact strategy, as the author mentioned at one point.  Renovated my planets more-or-less as expected then I goofed and thought I hit pause, and went away for about 40 minutes.  Came back to find that I apparently hadn't been attacked by pirates.  Two ai's had  declared war but were too far away to do much of anything.  However, the bank was swelling in all categories and the growth rates were impressive.  Had more than enough on hand to kick off a healthy expansion burst, get those dry docks going and start building some meaningful fleets.  The ai had defaulted one of those new colonies to Reseach and so, while behind I wasn't too bad off.
Getting into the mid-game and closing in on those export docks and orbital fabs.  Not really sure how to set up the stations for them but I'll figure that out.
Most important is I feel like my economy is stable and I think I know why.  Thanks for putting this info up so long ago. 

Scifibookguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »
I've just started playing Star Ruler (I bought it during the Steam Summer Sale), and I'm trying to read all the various strategies I can find. The manual can tell you what to do, but it leaves a lot to be desired on the "why" of doing things. Anyway, I can't find any reference to a "Dry Dock" in the manual. Is this something that's only in the Galactic Armory mod?

Akidi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »
Drydocks are under the 'ship' tab and are essentially orbital construction platforms. Benefits include very fast labor / labor regen compared to ship yards.

--------------

I've just started playing Star Ruler (I bought it during the Steam Summer Sale), and I'm trying to read all the various strategies I can find. The manual can tell you what to do, but it leaves a lot to be desired on the "why" of doing things. Anyway, I can't find any reference to a "Dry Dock" in the manual. Is this something that's only in the Galactic Armory mod?

Scifibookguy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 11:51:16 PM »
Drydocks are under the 'ship' tab and are essentially orbital construction platforms. Benefits include very fast labor / labor regen compared to ship yards.

Thanks for the reply :) I just got done watching a two-part video by quill18 on Youtube that helped explain a lot of things. Let's Try: Star Ruler - Part 1/2

Paingod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
This is going to sound strange, but as someone who enjoys the complexity of this game - I had no idea that there was such staggering simplicity behind how resources are handled.  The thought of building all of my planets with 1:1 ratios of cities to factories is a little disturbing to me, since it means millions of unused laborers, which just makes me feel like I'm not doing it right.  I'm borderline OCD when it comes to "getting it right" and when the numbers in front of me say one thing but the mechanics behind the scenes are doing something else it makes my skin crawl.

This seems more like exploiting a broken mechanic than actual strategy.

I'm not saying anyone's doing anything bad - but I'm never going to be able to 'unsee' this and will always know that my "picture perfect" productions lines are just the fool's gold to how the game really works.

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 12:08:16 AM »
Think of the population bonus as having SOOOO many people to choose from that you can literally choose only the highest productive ones to work.  Then above that you can hire enough people to be running the business itself non stop instead of having a 'close of business' period.  Then above that you still have so many extra people that you can allow people to have shorter work weeks as long as they  "give it their all" on the limited days they do work getting even higher work out of your people who get 5 days off a week instead of 2.
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

maheshjr2000

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
Hi! Im VERY new to this game XD and I wanted to know how to implement this step by step from start. I tried to just start making metal and electronics and avanced part planets but it didnt work out so well :(. My economy ground to a halt.

LadenSwallow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »
I would be inclined to go for more 'balanced' worlds initially, as you don't have the economy base to build multiple planets easily at the same time.

For instance, if on your production worlds you aimed to have say 6 cities, 1 advanced parts factory, 2 electronics and 3 metal (initially) then you would meet the ratio of cities/factories and have made a self sustaining world, so your exports can go towards other newer fledgling colonies. Add more cities and factories as space permits. When technology allows you to move electronics production into orbit, swap out the electronics factories for more metal and advanced parts factories, then when you can make advanced part factories, swap them out for yet more metal mines.

Porkechebure

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 08:35:37 PM »
I didn't read all of that, but I build my planets on my own (now that I'm getting more experienced I'm gonna save some queques of mine) based on my needs of the moment and grow the metallurgy and economics research to let less planets supply all my news colonies while I'm expanding wildly without caring about crashing my own economy.