Author Topic: Dynamic AI Income  (Read 964 times)

geckogod5

• View Profile
Dynamic AI Income
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »
Problem:
AI is quite challenging in early game, but becomes very easy to defeat in the late game even with the "hardest" setting, aggressor AI, and cheating enabled. Due to the complexity of strategies that late game technology offers, the AI cannot keep with a human player in the late game.

Suggestion:
Create a "Variable Cheating" AI function. This sets AI's income at a rate directly related to the human player's income per planet slot. AI income should also increase with either time or player income. This causes the AI to receive a greater handicap in relation to the human player as the game progresses. Here are my sample equations where AI income increases with time t, or with human player income:

TIME

(AI income) = [(R+ k*t) * player 1's income) / (# of player 1's planet slots)] * (# of AI's planet slots)

where:  R = constant to be set by player at beginning of game, k = constant set at beginning of game, t = time,

PLAYER 1's INCOME

(AI income) = [(R+ k*player 1's income) * player 1's income) / (# of player 1's planet slots)] * (# of AI's planet slots)

Sandbox Mode
I would also suggest a sandbox mode where k is eliminated from the equation and the player can simply change R during the game. This would allow the player to make the AI strong enough to be a challenge at any point in the game. Sometimes you just want something fun to destroy with your scale 1 million supercapital ships.

Research
Note that the same type of equation could be applied for research, simply replace the AI income variable with AI research. Research, however, would not affect AI income as the equation I've presented obviously excludes it. Research would simply affect how badass the AI ships will be.

Please let me know if this is a feasible idea, especially the sandbox version. I love this game and appreciate all the work you guys have done to improve it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:10:11 PM by geckogod5 »

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic AI Income
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 02:32:04 AM »
Wouldn't actually change much, income is rarely if ever related to the reasons that the AI becomes very easy to beat. Its mainly based on the fact that they have a set number of designs when a player can continually change theirs to match the state of the game, the way they design their fleets, the way they use their planets to build ships (defenses, etc).

GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 05:27:47 AM »
its mostly related the the way that the AI produced a limited number of ships even if it has unlimited income
I Make the Bread

Porkechebure

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
Yeah, I agree with the dynamic AI Income.

Though it seems an easy solution, it would be a quick one to implement if developed in a good way.

Follow me in this one.

Just put the AI income at high rates, maybe with a constant that a player can choose. Then let the AI produce a lot of ships instead of just acting like a normal player.

If you want more, just let the AI build quicker, research faster and so on.

It's an easy solution and has nothing to do with complex tactics or designing a super clever AI, but trying to beat an enemy that grows as fast as you do, that can build faster than you do and all the previous said things, should compensate the lack of tactics with a superior firepower. But, as an easy solution, it's another very challenging AI which you can adjust to meet your needs.

Maybe I'm saying the obvious, but, who knows. From an ignorant programming point of view, it seems a matter of only changing some variables and tell the ai to go for the strongest ships and to push research hardcore, as its research rate is multiplied anyway. Should be a doable task, no?

Btw I saw some guy messing with Cheat Engine on star ruler and they managed to catch the enemy AI variables even of ships and such and you might end up in being able to make AI stronger than it is now. If someone is interested and if I can link that kind of things, I can show you where to get that (though I won't use it for a long time, as I just bought the game and still don't know how to play).

Peace.