Author Topic: Uninhabitable Planets (Already coded)  (Read 2487 times)

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Uninhabitable Planets (Already coded)
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:14:40 AM »
Hi,

I'm offering my code to the developer gods. Here: http://db.tt/sb7726uB

Please implement it into the base version of the game. All that needs to make it 100% work is two small adjustments 1. Planet@ .getType() to be able to receive const's 2. Adding the uncolonizable script to the BasicAI (which can also be done by me (and my many very helpful helpers)) if you can point me at the location of how the Basic_ai gathers how many uncolonizable plaents are in a system.

So the code adds uncolonizable planets, that you can't right click auto-colonize as no menu for it appears. You can colonize ice planets at level 2 Biology, gas planets at level 6 Biology, and lava planets at level 10 Biology. Which gives the option of right click auto-colonize again. Right click auto colonize system has also been fixed as it checks the planet before trying sending out colonizers to it. Oh the erudite_ai has been fixed to work with uncolonizable planets but I did discover that erudite_ai bug that isn't needed to be fixed for this addition just it might be a good idea to fix anyway as it makes the AI inefficient.

I think that is about it. Oh the option to add more uncolonizable planets is easily done, just add it to map_generation where it adds the uncolonizable condition if it has a particular planet type checking for conditions would be an easy addition. Then you just need to add what level you want it to be unlocked in the canColonize code in both the Context_menu and BasicEffects and done.

So please implement this, I'm trying to offer more features/realism for the players. I don't want any recognition just knowing it was implemented would be enough for me. I've read how it was thought of before and argued against adding uninhabitable planets but it doesn't really make the game any more micromanagement focused at all. You still just right-click auto colonize the planet or system when you get to it. There is just a bit more to the planets now.

Anyway thanks for your time and any consideration to this being put into the game oh and any replies.

Edit: Oh and there is the small change of systems spawning 1-11 planets instead.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:06:53 AM by Powermaniac »

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Uninhabitable Planets (Already coded)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:25:48 AM »
In all honesty this should stay as a mod and not be integrated. This kind of game play is not to everyone's taste and why I reckon there was nothing like this introduced originally.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:28:27 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:25:57 AM »
I could argue the fact uncolonizable planets don't exist is not to everyone's taste but that would be a fruitless endeavor.

Nearly every 4x game I've seen requires some sort of technology to colonize certain types of planets, why you might wonder, well it seems to me that it just makes sense. Currently if we magically happened to be able to get to other planets all we would be able to colonize is planets very much like ours, even then there might be some problems. Unless we put a lot of time and resources into working out how to live on a planet that is molten rock, or is made of not exactly the type of dense we recognize and also highly toxic gas, or is far more extremely frozen/freezing then the closest thing we have to it which is the north or south poles.

Anyway I also think it adds to the Biology technology but the developers can change the unlock requirements if they choose to use it.

I know XT was originally going to implement uncolonizable planets in GA but was informed that it was either too difficult or not possible with the way that was tried/thought of.

You could also implement an option to turn it on and off it might require some more coding though I'm not sure how to do.

So...yeah. I was just hoping to help add more new content to the game as the developers have informed me they are busy with there next project and won't be. So why can't the modders/consumers add new content if they can get the code and give it to the developers. Saves the developers time and they can look over it say if it is good enough or change it to how they like it while not having to do as much and done, new content added.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:30:04 AM »
I know XT was originally going to implement uncolonizable planets in GA but was informed that it was either too difficult or not possible with the way that was tried/thought of.
Um not really no, don't forget Im part of the GA team as well and it's not uncolonizable its a chance of failure and high resource costs dependent on exploration which is harder on certain types of planets, but never impossible. We only decided to do it that way because economic changes and the slow down of game play would mean that it wouldn't have a negative impact on the game actually forcing you to expand or force conflict or to research X technology to a high level right at the start. It hasn't been scrapped and isn't too difficult and not impossible.

Nearly every 4x game I've seen requires some sort of technology to colonize certain types of planets, why you might wonder, well it seems to me that it just makes sense.
Yes but those came designed with it, balanced around that style of gameplay with mechanisms in place that offset the disadvantage. Its not about just adding the feature itself, its about the impact of the feature. I've got no problem with the idea, its an interesting one but there is more to it than having to have research to colonize planets, there are other considerations like the balance of starting positions, the technology that needs to be researched first, speed of the game, etc.

Ok default map generation 2 - 6 planets per system usually, without balanced system start you could find yourself with no planets to colonize unless you start exploring straight away, just out of a few restarts about 20% of the time my starting system was a terran and two uncolonizable planets. Straight off you now have to scout other systems pick a suitable one on top of any slot disparity there may be already. Even with balanced start it doesn't take into account that planets might be uncolonizable it just makes sure there are 3 - 4 planets per starting system, hell one restart my home planet was a gas planet.

Lets talk about economy and research. Originally you normally focus towards spamming out colony ships and scouts expanding as much as possible most planets being focused towards producing resources to start with, instead now the you have to shift to focusing biology from the start depending on your starting system (again if you have a really nice starting system you can focus on the economy instead of colonization). The time spent focusing on biology which yes lets you colonize more planets might be impossible to gain back the time another player might have spent on their economy and now can focus on research worlds and have biology done in an extremely quick manner.

So were onto the recurring theme of map balance, the map generation is not balanced towards this. It doesn't attempt to build systems which are guaranteed to have a spread of colonizable planets, you can get a terran style planet right at the sun or right at the end of the system, the same for ice or gas. As I said other games have their map generation tailored to make systems if not completely balanced as balanced as possible for the style of gameplay that having colonization tied to research. So that will have to be balanced a lot of test games played, multiplayer games tested with it, etc.

Then usability of the feature, when you've unlocked the ability to colonize a new type of planet there is nothing to tell you how many are in systems you own and while it would be ok in a TBS 4X to scroll through each system and find them, in a RTS (and remember pausable doesn't count because you can't pause in multiplayer without the host doing it) so the system window would need updating to work with showing whether planets are colonizable and not as it does now just if they have no owner or alerts would need to be implemented to tell you how many planets you might be interested in colonizing now.

This is why mods are much more suitable for changes like this, unless its something that the devs can spend a lot of time balancing and optimizing and can make sure it fits the gameplay style of the game then mods become more suitable because it can be balanced and improved to make it match whats needed by multiple modders, but as soon as it becomes the core of the game its there to stay and whatever features might be missing to make it fully integrated into the game will fall on the dev's head.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:57:13 AM »
I was referring to something XT supposedly wanted to implement before you were around Azalrion. I know this from a conversation I had with him via private message about this uncolonizable planets idea. I'm not sure what your referring to. XT had the idea of making certain planets have 0 slots which he was informed by the coder at the time that it was either too hard or not possible.

So I forgot about the balanced start almost wrote a long reply without mentioning it on my phone, now I have my tablet to make this much easier.

My question is how much does balanced start affect? As if it only changes the amount of planets in the home systems that is not a balanced start (no offence devs).

Currently your systems start with random conditions and random slot numbers which is not balanced. Without balanced systems you also have a random amount of planets in your home system. Also unlocking biology wouldn't be a focus as long as you have other systems discovered which normally everyone does because of the scout spam. So you just ignore the uncolonizable planets and then continue like normal till you have them unlocked.

The sort by colonizable menu addition is a good idea. And I don't we how making home systems balanced is difficult I will try and do it with some help though but still if that is something the developers will want then done. You've also pointed out something interesting that I wonder if it could be implemented' that depending on your home system depends on what planets are hard for you to colonize and in what order. Maybe a bad idea as terran and desert are the most common. Just changing the home world to spawn as always a terran or desert would be better, somewhat unrealistic though.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
Also unlocking biology wouldn't be a focus as long as you have other systems discovered which normally everyone does because of the scout spam. So you just ignore the uncolonizable planets and then continue like normal till you have them unlocked.

But it would, the most effective start sequence is developing your home system because you can use trade vessels to improve build capability due to the limited ability of early game space ports. Spreading out over systems actually slows the ability to build colony ships at a high rate. Even if you did that a player who had little or no uncolonizable planets in their start system would be at a major advantage and so the entire map creation needs to be rebalanced to make that advantage less obvious. Actually going to contradict myself on this right now, I'm going to say neither of us can know. Until you've tested with a lot of playtime in both single and multiplayer you can't say how it would effect the start of the game in many different circumstances and what balancing would need to be done because of that. Feature implementation requires a lot of testing not just working code, which the devs would have to do to ensure the quality of their product.

Also again you still haven't answered why its not suitable for this to just be a mod, why does it need inclusion in base game? If it was added into base game, it forces everyone to use it, it means modders who may want to implement it a different way would find it difficult to do so. Is it balanced in multiplayer? How does it change that, will it effect it so it completely changes the experience? Is this good or bad? There is more to a feature than just being a feature, it has to have a good reason, scope, usability and add to the intended style of the game.

As a mod if people want to use it they can, if they don't they don't. Think about how moddable SR has been made, there is a reason for that, for people to envision what they think it needs and add it. Adding specific features like this limits that ability. Im not saying its a bad idea or mod, its a good feature but once its in base game its in base game. Consider GA, a lot of people really enjoy it and there was EU which a lot of people really enjoyed as well.  For both of those I expect that at times more people played the mods than base game but if BMS had started adding the main features of either to base game then neither mod could have done what they did because both did things differently.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:19:27 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
I was referring to something XT supposedly wanted to implement before you were around Azalrion. I know this from a conversation I had with him via private message about this uncolonizable planets idea. I'm not sure what your referring to. XT had the idea of making certain planets have 0 slots which he was informed by the coder at the time that it was either too hard or not possible.

1. It was discussed, but ultimately scrapped for multiple reasons.
2. I never said it was considered impossible, but rather impractical at the time (for gameplay reasons as well as resulting problems with colony ship behavior). Haven't really followed your thread completely, but I assume you solved this issue?

My question is how much does balanced start affect? As if it only changes the amount of planets in the home systems that is not a balanced start (no offence devs).

That's pretty much what it does.

Hope you don't mind me answering your PM here, I'm in a bit of a hurry right now:

So there is some code particularly code that allows you to have spacing at 30,000 as the max, I'm interested in using that for my own exploration overhaul.

Yes, it is located in each of the map .xml files in the maps folder. What you are looking for is this:

Code: [Select]
<spin tag="#NGM_Spacing" setting="MAP_SYSTEM_SPACING" type="integer" min="1000" max="30000" default="3000" step="500" digits="0" pos="1,0"/>
It simply prevents the GUI from accepting values over 30000.

Particular on my exploration ideas such as how the speed system works in Star Ruler and how I would go about slowing everything universally down. Particularly scouts though as they are just ridiculously fast, nonsensically fast.

Well, one option would be to try and change the movement mechanics by upping acceleration (if you want) and adding some sort of speed limit for all ships. It's not completely impossible as far as I know but I can't really tell you any details, sorry. Other than that there's not much else I think, aside from changing the ratio between system diameter and inter-system spacing, of course.

Regarding the implementation of Uninhabitable Planets in the game itself:
As long as it remains completely optional, I wouldn't mind; though I don't see why it would be so bad to remain a mod (there are very few mods that I would consider suitable to be added to the base game; mostly things offering convenient, non-game-changing features or useful GUI additions).

Flare

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »
Well it seems to me that it just makes sense. Currently if we magically happened to be able to get to other planets all we would be able to colonize is planets very much like ours, even then there might be some problems. Unless we put a lot of time and resources into working out how to live on a planet that is molten rock, or is made of not exactly the type of dense we recognize and also highly toxic gas, or is far more extremely frozen/freezing then the closest thing we have to it which is the north or south poles.

It seems to me that the biggest problem we have is simply getting to these other planets, which the civilizations in SR seem to have pretty down pat. For all intents and purposes, the civilizations in SR appear to be in a post scarcity economy, barring any hiccups when you commission stupendously huge projects. If they can build large completely sealed constructs that can handle all the stuff space can throw at it, it seems that building something on solid ground would be a cakewalk.

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »
It seems to me that the biggest problem we have is simply getting to these other planets, which the civilizations in SR seem to have pretty down pat. For all intents and purposes, the civilizations in SR appear to be in a post scarcity economy, barring any hiccups when you commission stupendously huge projects. If they can build large completely sealed constructs that can handle all the stuff space can throw at it, it seems that building something on solid ground would be a cakewalk.

You do realise I was referring to humans/Earth, us. We've can't even colonize the bloody moon yet let alone reach and colonize another planet. Considering it does say at the beginning of every game that your civilisation has reached space flight. Only just reached space flight so...Now you could take that to mean we can send a rocket into space or a satellite or you could take it to mean we can send out a ship that can fly through space at will and sustain its crew for somewhat long periods of time. Even then that's I would say simpler then COLONIZING a planet that could fry you, poison you, or freeze you to death. As you would then need powerful technologies to fight back the heat or the cold (far more extreme systems then what we have for places like the north pole or at volcanoes). And the poison could be dealt with maybe but then building on it that's another question entirely.

I quite like your idea XTRMNTR2K to have it optional but I'm not entirely sure how to implement it as an option at the game options menu. I've seen GA do it with multiple things so any tips there would be appreciated. Or just where the code is to do that...Oh and thanks for the map code.I thought changing the map spacing to above 8,000 caused some shaking problem with the map?

Azalrion basically it adds realism in my opinion, it also adds variety, if I could I would also add artefacts but I'm not sure how I would go about that as nothing like that seems to be built into the game whatsoever. That might make the game more alive and exciting. If I can make it an option then that would be great and I will so it keeps the original bits and pieces and adds a new feature that is optional.

Anyway still haven't heard from a developer hopefully they have seen this and am discussing it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:48:18 PM by Powermaniac »

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:50:07 AM »
Azalrion basically it adds realism in my opinion, it also adds variety, if I could I would also add artefacts but I'm not sure how I would go about that as nothing like that seems to be built into the game whatsoever. That might make the game more alive and exciting. If I can make it an option then that would be great and I will so it keeps the original bits and pieces and adds a new feature that is optional.

But thats exactly the point of mods. Does GA not offer variety, did foraven's not offer variety and realism, what about EU, or Mik's map generation? So it offers variety, but in adding it to base game it no longer adds variety, its a fixed feature. So you've still yet to answer why any of the other mods that made realism changes should not also have been added to base game, a mod is an option thats their entire point.

Its great you believe in your work, but what you've said is the reason why it should be a mod and not included into base game.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 04:11:32 AM »
But thats exactly the point of mods. Does GA not offer variety, did foraven's not offer variety and realism, what about EU, or Mik's map generation? So it offers variety, but in adding it to base game it no longer adds variety, its a fixed feature. So you've still yet to answer why any of the other mods that made realism changes should not also have been added to base game, a mod is an option thats their entire point.

Its great you believe in your work, but what you've said is the reason why it should be a mod and not included into base game.

That's part of the reason I actually went in search of the maker's of the other mods and got permission to use there code if I wanted. And if it was okay if it was allowed to be added to the base game.

If it was an on/off option it would still be added variety. I'm not sure how it wouldn't be, sure it's a fixed feature but you can turn it on/off so it's not entirely fixed.

I just really want this game to continue adding more features/content. Mods are great but the people that buy this game in the future probably won't find these mods in an workable form and thus they miss out.This game also has so much more potential that could be exploited and is like the only decent Space 4X RTS out there.

As it is I could whine false advertising about the Steam Star Ruler sale page but that's just something I think needs to be amended as in this country (Australia) you could be sued over it...Fun fact a matches company was sued for $40,000 or something as the box the matches came in said contains 50 matches and they had bought multiple boxes with only 48. Now the match boxes say approximately 50 matches.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »
I just really want this game to continue adding more features/content.
Then help it do so through mods.  We have moved on to our next project; it's uncertain whether there will be any additional official features/content added to Star Ruler.  Bug fixes may still occur if significant ones are reported, of course.

Mods are great but the people that buy this game in the future probably won't find these mods in an workable form and thus they miss out.
Due to the above reason it's unlikely that any currently compatible mod will become incompatible in the future.

As it is I could whine false advertising about the Steam Star Ruler sale page
The last point is bracketed and preceded by '[...] as time and money allows' and the reason why we moved on to our next project was because time and money no longer allowed.  All other features mentioned on that page are presently in the game -- along with a few from the 'wishful thinking' features (e.g. race customization and an additional shipset).

As to whether we'll add this mod to the base game:  As SR's Vanilla is mostly post-scarcity questions of 'independence' usually aren't relevant to the context of colonizing worlds -- it's more a question of return on investment which, in nearly all cases, is positive enough over the long term to justify.

Beyond that:  We'd rather not have to put it through bug testing, fixing, heavy balancing and all sorts of other requirements in order to actually push it as a 'vanilla' feature; especially when its incredibly easy to install and load and as we're very busy with the new project.  As Azalrion stated this is entirely the point of mods: to expand on or alter the core game-play.

I do not speak for GGLucas or ThyReaper on this -- but I do imagine they would share a somewhat similar opinion.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:58:39 AM by Firgof »
"Now it will punish you"

Flare

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 05:17:40 AM »

We always need to keep in mind, how to represent the realism in the game too. It's not as simple as simply settling on the first idea that pops into your mind, or copying it from another game or a string of games, because it might not work very well in this game. For all we know, metallurgy, sociology, and other research disciplines already contribute to the tech required to build more efficient stuff on planets. The increase of productivity might be because people found new ways to deal with the environment and make it workable.
If this is true, then the argument becomes not one of realism, but which brand of it you want, culminating in whether you want options to research each and every single planetary type, or to group them together into one research item, or spread them out among several evenly. For my position, I would take the latter. This isn't SoaSE, or SotS, the number of planets in your domain run into the hundreds, it's simply not possible, or a highly repetitious task that the computer or the game design as a whole should have taken it for you.

You do realise I was referring to humans/Earth, us. We've can't even colonize the bloody moon yet let alone reach and colonize another planet. Considering it does say at the beginning of every game that your civilisation has reached space flight. Only just reached space flight so...Now you could take that to mean we can send a rocket into space or a satellite or you could take it to mean we can send out a ship that can fly through space at will and sustain its crew for somewhat long periods of time. Even then that's I would say simpler then COLONIZING a planet that could fry you, poison you, or freeze you to death. As you would then need powerful technologies to fight back the heat or the cold (far more extreme systems then what we have for places like the north pole or at volcanoes). And the poison could be dealt with maybe but then building on it that's another question entirely.

The main reason we can't exactly reach the moon is because of the incredibly high costs of shooting things into escape velocity. The price more or less being down to several thousand dollars for every kilogram you get into orbit, and this isn't calculating the costs required to push it even faster beyond orbit. This is compounded by us not having any real reason why we should go to the moon in the first place. If we were, as a collective species try to colonize the moon, I don't think there'd be much holding us back in terms of construction. It's basically building air tight structures which we already do on earth like antarctic and underwater habitats. The main difference would be that on a body where the atmosphere in near absence, there'd be little to no maintenance that you'd see on underwater or in the antarctic regions.

All it'd really be is to construct starship like structures that don't leave the planet you're sitting on, and the civilizations in SR already seem to be able to do that almost without much trouble at all. It does seem to be quite consistent with what's already in the game.

As for planets where it's freezing or filled with magma, I think most starships are already equipped to deal with these things, they seem to travel close to the sun without much trouble after all, and I can't say it'd be unreasonable that the people who go on to distant planets to make lives for themselves expect it to be easy. The modification and streamlining of the human body ought to be quite common in those circumstances.
In any case, it's quite rare that an entire planet be covered in magma, but even if it is (possibly because it's too close to the star), SR civilizations do seem to be able to build things that handle that quite well. Even if a sizeable chunk of the planet is molten and shifting magma, I think SR does a good job of depicting limited building space for this.

Above all though, I think you're missing one vital part of the puzzle, that being that the colony ship also functions as the main city. Like a dome city I believe, it's equipped with everything required to build more cities as well as the facilities required to expand.

As for your realism argument, I think it ultimately comes down to how the game abstracts reality. There are several ways to do it, lore wise, mechanics, or even graphically implied. Personally I think the limited number of build slots fit this quite well. I think most people underestimate just how big a planet can be, it's astronomically low that there'd be not enough space on the surface to build anything at all, and the SR populations on these planets are hardly the jammed packed situation we have on earth. All but the largest planets have populations matching the US without research into sociology. One might even hazard a guess, that sociology IS the research done to make planets more habitable, but unlike what you're proposing, all of the research is rolled into one to save time and space.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 05:27:59 AM by Flare »

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 02:51:07 AM »
On a side note seeing as this is going no where. Firgof or GGLucas or Thy Reaper I would like an official reply about the game engine code becoming available. Seeing as you aren't planning on adding features anymore besides patches to the code if needed. I believe I made a thread about this already just in the wrong section I suppose and thus it probably wasn't seen. This would probably open up far more opportunities for modding and might keep what little people there are left around even longer to see what they can do with the extra access.

Anyway a reply would be great on this.

Thanks.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »
Star Ruler will not be open sourced any time soon.

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 03:50:13 AM »
I'm going to post it here to not clog up the suggestions with my questions/well suggestions and also I have a feeling I'm more likely going to get a response from one of the developers here.

So my question is can a way to edit the planet orbits be added? As Seronis has informed me that the orbit of a planet can not be edited in anyway.

The reason I would like to edit it is that currently the speed at which the population increases, ships move and planets orbit are highly out of sync. If I could speed up the planet orbit it would be far more realistic and thus stop irritating me.

So umm yeah for that to become available in the next patch would be great or something. Thanks.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 03:54:39 AM »
You can already do that. Foraven did it in FRB after a manner.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 03:59:01 AM »
Wait what? So what deals with planet orbit then?

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 04:07:04 AM »
Modifying Planet_Desc during map creation.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:13 AM »
Well that's a something positive to come out of today.

Would increasing the size of the sun alter the spacing between planets, etc?

Wait the FRB mod doesn't seem to have any increase in planet orbit speed...Just checked it out then...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:16:17 AM by Powermaniac »

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 04:18:33 AM »
No. Look at the map generation scripts when a planet is created they use two things Orbit_Desc and Planet_Desc. Those two together define the different physical and physics based attributes of the planet.

Well he was working on it at one point, might have removed it due to the way it messes with hulled vessel orbits.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:28:09 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 04:36:23 AM »
We are talking about the same thing right. Planet orbit SPEED.

Which looks to be this code here:

Planet_Desc plDesc;
plDesc.PlanetRadius = randomf(9.f,11.f);
plDesc.RandomConditions = false;

orbDesc.IsStatic = false;
orbDesc.Radius = randomf(2.f, 5.f) * orbitRadiusFactor;
plDesc.setOrbit(orbDesc);

Planet@ planet = sys.makePlanet(plDesc);

Although there doesn't seem ot be any number that correlates directly with the speed of orbit.

So?

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 04:42:40 AM »
There isn't a direct variable which says "Orbit at this speed", its physics based, you have to modify Orbit_Desc.Mass or Planet_Desc.PlanetMass either of those (more likely the first one) might modify orbit speed. You never know what Orbit_Desc.DaysPerYear might do either as far as I know no one has tried modifying that to see what effect it has if any.

Orbit_Desc.MassRadius might have an effect as well. You'll just have to experiment.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:46:47 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Powermaniac

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 05:01:58 AM »
Found the line discovered dividing by 2 actually makes it slower * it by 100 makes it much much faster. Now I just need to edit all the mentions of that line.

Here is the code:
orbDesc.Mass = child.radius * starMassFactor * 10;
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:09:02 AM by Powermaniac »