Author Topic: Dev Diary #1: The Galactic Economy  (Read 10199 times)

DatonKallandor

• View Profile
Re: Dev Diary #1: The Galactic Economy
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »
I hope you'll manage to get some kind of button in you can press to automatically generate trade routes. Maybe even make it several buttons (to make the auto-router generate differently weighted routes - maximum Level 1 number, highest possible single planet, etc.). It won't necessarily make manual control obsolete, but I imagine it would sure help when you've got dozens of planets. If Civ 5 could do it, it can't be too hard, right?

TheDarkLord

• Star Ruler Tester (Group 2)
  • Very um Dark and Lordy :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
I feel as though I've been gone far too long, these changes to the way things will work sound very interesting. :)
I have rereturned but will I stay this time?

Random

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 12:58:19 AM »
Honestly, I'm not a fan. Star Ruler had its issues but not being Anno 27000 was not one of them. I much preferred the game when economy was handled in the background so the player could focus on strategic, grand-scale, decisions. I don't see this system working at all for a galaxy of even a hundred stars, let alone thousands. I don't see this as a way to play to Star Ruler's potential.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 01:40:16 AM »
In my experience of playing Star Ruler, it was sadly not the case that grand-scale strategy was at work. Although the scale was large, it was more spammy than strategic. Rapid, unguided expansion was the dominant strategy and more effective than careful planning and strategy. Individual systems had essentially no value.

Star Ruler 2's economy was designed specifically to solve the issue of having countless faceless systems and mindless expansion. It simultaneously guides expansion and conflict, and requires planning and a goal to be effective. The variety and scale of strategy has been enhanced, not diminished.

We regularly play in galaxies comparable in size to the galaxies I played in Star Ruler 1, and we continue to improve the ability to manage the empire beyond what was possible before without sacrificing available strategy.

Random

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
I'm glad you guys are experimenting and enjoying your work. I think the approach shown here is one option to SR's spaminess, though as I said it's not the direction I would have preferred. I'll take your word for its scalability and I will be following SR2's development with great interest.

PS: Diplomacy looks fantastic but that's a different post.

echo2361

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »
Star Ruler 2's economy was designed specifically to solve the issue of having countless faceless systems and mindless expansion. It simultaneously guides expansion and conflict, and requires planning and a goal to be effective. The variety and scale of strategy has been enhanced, not diminished.

This one quote gives me a lot of hope for Star Ruler 2. I'm glad to hear that things are developing down this path. I definitely agree that the systems in SR1 were pretty bland and expansion was too simple so I like the direction this statement suggests SR2's development is moving in.

Paldin

• I make things happen.
    • View Profile
    • Supreme Commander Psalms
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 11:31:38 PM »
The economy of SR1 initially bothered me because every planet added its surplus toward a magical bank, where my resources could persist outside of time and space (regardless of distance and storage impossibilities). But I got used to it. It was the same as almost every other RTS's magical bag of holding. I learned to enjoy pulling a billion resources in less than a minute, when the need arose. Will this feature be continued in SR2 or will resources exist only in local storage, shared between trade lanes? Maybe the universal bank could be toggled at the start of a game, to appease both sensibilities.

I also hold reservations about the depiction of resources themselves. How many square feet of farmland is required to feed a person? Let's hypothetically say 100 sqft. is enough. How many of those gardens can be built over a 100sqft. area? Is it not obviously one? Technology between 1975 and 1985 allowed for 110, vertical stories. With modern technology the answer is 163 vertical stories, and really no limits in the future. Hydro/Aero-ponic technology coupled with climate and light control and automated labor could realistically compete with traditional farming industries. Imagine just one city block sized skyscraper converted into a hydroponics farm and how many people it could continuously feed. Please don't say that my Paldinians with space-faring technology are incapable of feeding multiple planets of equivalent population, simultaneously. There is a finite supply of uranium, sure; but not foodstuffs. Industrial capacity to produce firearms and munitions, sure; but not fruits and vegetables.

I'm worried how difficult it will be to balance the trade routes, and how time consuming it will be to set them up even with the blindest inefficiency. But that seems like an obvious problem, so I have full faith that you guys will make sure they do not interfere with actually playing the game.
~Wayne

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 12:38:01 AM »
Will this feature be continued in SR2 or will resources exist only in local storage, shared between trade lanes?

It all varies. The planetary resources will be directed with trade lanes, there are some resources (labor, defense) that are linked to individual planets in different ways, and there are a few "incomes" that are global: things like research and the money in your imperial budget. Everything works differently.

Imagine just one city block sized skyscraper converted into a hydroponics farm and how many people it could continuously feed.

Our mechanics around this are still in flux, so take my examples as completely un-final, but even in our alpha right now we have megafarms that can be built on planets to create food separate from finding it on other worlds, and there is a Designation (like a planet upgrade of sorts) literally called "Hydroponics" for eliminating the need for food on that planet altogether. We do understand your concerns, but importing food actually makes for a pretty fun mechanic.

I'm worried how difficult it will be to balance the trade routes, and how time consuming it will be to set them up even with the blindest inefficiency.

Part of the game is filling in the trade line "puzzle". A big goal here is to make it relatively easy to set up basic planets that net you resources, but to make spending time and figuring out more complicated things give you big benefits. We think using the resource trade system will be fun, but if you don't think so yourself rest assured you don't need to spend all your time using it.

Panpiper

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 08:03:11 AM »
Sorry for being late to this discussion.

Hmm, the ship design and scaling sensibilities of the first game put me off it...

!!!

The ship design system of Star Ruler 1 is in my opinion the single best ship design system I have ever seen in a computer game. I go so far as to point other game developers to it as an example of how to do it right.

Njordin

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 01:40:21 AM »
second that ^