Author Topic: From a Newbie: How do you prepare for the first alien encounter?  (Read 2318 times)

Scattered Ore

• View Profile
From a Newbie: How do you prepare for the first alien encounter?
« on: February 06, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »
How fast should I colonize?

How many ships should I build?

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: From a Newbie: How do you prepare for the first alien encounter?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 02:03:52 PM »
>>How fast should I colonize?
Quite quickly but not too quickly.

>>How many ships should I build?
Lots.

:)
OOI, for your first game, how many stars have you picked for your galaxy?

Scattered Ore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 05:17:24 AM »

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »
3000 stars to start out!  Good luck.  I get overwhelmed if I have more than about 50.

In that case, you will need a lot of ships, and of course, bigger & better than your opponents'.

It all depends how far into the game you are --- are you looking for strategy after one second, one hour or one day?

Scattered Ore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
I've been playing for about 30 minutes of game time  ;)

antibor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
3000? For the first game? That will be long. I have never played such a huge game. You will need around 6000 colony ships, potentially tens of thousands of combat ships and stations, depending on the selected AIs and setup (for example pirates).
Colonization should be as fast as your economy can support. I think the tutorial recommended to colonize new planets only when you have 200K metal and quite some of the other materials. Of course no one does this, but you should still watch the galactic bank: if the resources are going up, colonize, otherwise not.
Personally I play against the AI and I build cheap, lightly armed stations (they would not stand a chance in actual combat) to pump up my military statistics. This way the aliens are friendly.

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »
@antibor
Nice to see someone still here  :)

His 3,000 is amusing.  I think/thought that by common consent he will not be able to finish this game (unless the AIs kill him early)?

Scattered Ore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 07:36:28 PM »
I was inundated by pirates and had to quit.  Is there anything that tells you how many of each resource a specific factory or mine will produce?  I'm on the verge of uninstalling this because it's just too vague.  I like dealing in finite values but this seems to be "build and build more...oops you lost."

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 04:18:57 AM »
Any attempt to play with 3,000 stars is unmanageable!

Perhaps like you(?), I thought this would be another TBS.  It isn't.  It's an RTS with (quite) a few bits of grand strategic TBS.  Closest similar is Sins of a Solar Empire, if you know that.  I don't usually like that, but I had a hoot playing a few games of this.

If you feel like it before you give up, try again with about 30(!) stars (normal galaxy) and 1 opponent AI, normal level.  The pirate invasions come in waves; over time you learn to dispatch them easily, but to start with switch Pirates off.  You can pause the game and issue orders as much as you like, which makes it more manageable and a bit more like a TBS.

Except for right at the start, you don't want to be micro-managing at all.  This is not a game where you should be looking at individual buildings (or even planets), just pick governors for planets.  To start with, you can even just leave the system to pick its mix of appropriate governors.  Similarly, over time, although you can have fun designing your ships, you'll want to build lots of the ships you design.  Keep an eye on the galactic bank, that determines what/whether you can build.  At the start your Home planet is massively better at building than any colony you found, only build ships & colony ships there.  Found 1 colony in each star system, wait for it to grow till more or less all its slots are full, only then might you let it build a colony ship to populate another planet in its system.

Forget that the game lets you have 3,000 systems, pretend it only ever allowed 30, use pause when you get confused and to manage stuff, that way it's much more manageable & fun.  If you persevere and get this far, by all means come back for tips then!

P.S.
If you're looking more for a turn based sci-fi 4X I have Endless Space (http://g2g.amplitude-studios.com/Games/Endless-Space).  It's still not as good as Master of Orion 2 (then again nothing is!), but it's not a bad one.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:26:36 AM by JonBrave »

antibor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 12:39:24 PM »
I was inundated by pirates and had to quit.  Is there anything that tells you how many of each resource a specific factory or mine will produce?  I'm on the verge of uninstalling this because it's just too vague.  I like dealing in finite values but this seems to be "build and build more...oops you lost."
Pirates are dangereous. Early game you cannot win against them. At least 30 minutes in game I could not. I either avoid them by seemingly arming the systems or let them to loot. Before tech level 9 I do not even try to stop them if they appear.
To answer the question, no there is no display how much a given facility produces.
On the structures tab on each planet there is the list of structures on the planet. It shows BASE rate. Base ... built per second. The economy tab shows additional modifiers: Population, mood and efficiency. Multiply the base by these. No it is not yet finished. Then the social policies are applied, for example you are focusing on one resource.  this is the output of a single factory. Metal has one additional factor, the ore content of the planet in percentage of the total. Say your homeworld starts with 50M/50M - your mines work at 100%. Around say 50 minutes in game it is only 45M/50M - your mines will only work at 90% (edit: 92% to be exact). The original ore content is not even displayed on the planet window, you can only see this when you hover your mouse over the planet.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:15:47 AM by antibor »

antibor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 12:46:49 PM »
@antibor
Nice to see someone still here  :)
Thanks. Well, I thought I finished with the game, but then I reverse engineered a screenshot from Sander's guide that put my performance in a different light. I am optimizing, but I do not want to play the mod.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
@JonBrave: Honestly, I would prefer if the game was turn-based. I don't have SR1, but it sounds like it's more or less real-time Space Empires - not a pair of concepts I'm comfortable blending.

SR2's a bit different, but still, I feel it'd have so much more potential if it were turn-based with real-time combat... :(

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 06:09:44 AM »
@antibor
>>Metal has one additional factor, the ore content of the planet in percentage of the total
That is interesting  --- I had no idea!  I just look at how much ore a planet has left, did not realise the original total was significant.  Will now adjust choices....

@dalolorn
>>I would prefer if the game was turn-based.
Well it isn't!  :P  Like I said, try Endless Space.
>>but it sounds like it's more or less real-time Space Empires.
Yep, a not unreasonable comparison.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
Endless Space isn't the de facto successor to Space Empires. Star Ruler is. :P