Author Topic: Default Colonizer does not work, how do you play this Mod??  (Read 4421 times)

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Default Colonizer does not work, how do you play this Mod??
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:10:57 AM »
I have loaded up GA 1.9.4 into final SR 1.2.1.2 (double-checked).  Reset all settings to default.  Checked the following in a couple of games.

The Colony Ship we get in the Blueprints is a size 15.  If you go to Layout View, it shows in red, with warning "Insufficient Life Support".  It has a size 4 Colonizer and a size 3 Life Support, with all 15 slots full.  If you build it, sure enough its hitpoints start diminishing, and it's dead after, say, a minute.  It might be able to reach a planet in same system (or not), certainly dies before reaching any other system.

After a while I noticed this, and redesigned so that Colonizer & Life Support are same size, then warning goes away and all is well.  I could proceed.  By end of game, I found AI opponent had never managed to leave his one original System, and had loads of dead Colony Ships floating around --- so I guess he never noticed this and redesigned, what a waste of game time  :(

• How can you possibly manage with default Colony Ship??  I see no comments about this anywhere?  This makes it unplayable, but nobody has said anything???
  • Are we supposed to redesign this for the AI?  How do we make AIs have a usable Colony Ship?

I'm obviously perplexed, because I cannot see how you all manage to play (against AIs)?

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
Re: Default Colonizer does not work, how do you play this Mod??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:23:14 AM »
Check the "Level Gain Curve" value in the first advanced settings tab. It should be set to 1.35 (or above, if you prefer), but never* below.

I just loaded up a game in GA 1.9.4 using the default settings and the colony ship was fine. Then I lowered the LGC value to 1.3 and it was just as you described - not enough life support.

At first I thought the starting level had been set to 0 in your game, but apparently the slider in our mod does not allow going below 1, so I'm sure it has to be the level gain curve.

*Can be set below 1.35 if you know what you're doing, i.e. if you set a higher starting level than 1.

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:03:53 PM »
Thank you for caring, and for responding so quickly!

Verified LGC was on 1.4.  Started New, no better.
Set to 1.35.  No better.
Went back to vanilla game, pressed Reset Settings (in my previous vanilla it's possible I could have had non-default LGC), back to GA, verified LGC at 1.4.  No better.

I have it installed on 2 PCs, same behaviour on each.

The good news is it seems GA should not be behaving like this.  The bad news is that I am presently unable to find any way to get GA to start with intended Colony design!  At least I presume I now understand why I played a whole game with opponent sticking in one system!!

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »
P.S.
I checked in vanilla and all working there.  I note that their Colonizer does indeed have size 4 on both Colony & Life Support, and needs that.  GA's design has 4 on Colony but only 3 on Life Support.  Is that actually correct & intended?

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »
Thank you for caring, and for responding so quickly!

No problem. :)

Verified LGC was on 1.4.  Started New, no better.
Set to 1.35.  No better.
Went back to vanilla game, pressed Reset Settings (in my previous vanilla it's possible I could have had non-default LGC), back to GA, verified LGC at 1.4.  No better.

I have it installed on 2 PCs, same behaviour on each.

That is indeed unusual. Did you select any traits before starting the game?

Other than that, may I ask where you downloaded the mod from? Maybe there's something wrong with the uploaded files.

The good news is it seems GA should not be behaving like this.  The bad news is that I am presently unable to find any way to get GA to start with intended Colony design!  At least I presume I now understand why I played a whole game with opponent sticking in one system!!

P.S.
I checked in vanilla and all working there.  I note that their Colonizer does indeed have size 4 on both Colony & Life Support, and needs that.  GA's design has 4 on Colony but only 3 on Life Support.  Is that actually correct & intended?

Yes, that is correct. But to make sure I have attached the correct blueprint to this post. Just put it into

Code: [Select]
X:\YourGamesFolder\Star Ruler\Mods\GalacticArmory\Game Data\Script Data\Layouts\Default
and overwrite the existing Colony Ship.xml.

I do have a suspicion what causes this... If the problem still persists with the colony ship blueprint from this post, can you check the blueprint from within the game and see if the backup power generator is actually connected to the life support system? I think I've once seen a rare case where a subsystem modifier didn't attach to the correct subsystem for some reason, even if it did on another computer.

Out of curiosity, at what screen resolution are you playing the game?

EDIT: Scratch that, that was a truly stupid thought. :o
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:27:09 PM by XTRMNTR2K »

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Aux Power is attached to Life Support (and I tried making it bigger).  But, it makes no difference, same warning persists whether attached or not.  Seems to me, if you were expecting that to make a difference to LS requirement, it isn't....

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:30:34 PM »
Your scratch-out coincided with my reply :)

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 01:35:45 PM »
Tried your Colony Ship.xml.  No difference.  Then again, I differenced it against the one I had, and they were identical anyway :)

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »
Other than that not much I can think of that could cause this problem.

Like I said, where did you download the mod from? And did you select any traits before starting the game?

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 02:02:35 PM »
Tried resetting traits, no difference.
GA came via "Patch Notes" sticky above, which ultimately led to download from http://www.gamefront.com/files/files/23418816/GalacticArmoryMod_1_9_4.zip

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »
OOI, what aspect is it about your Mod or your design which allows the Colonizer less Life Support than Colonists?

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
Tried resetting traits, no difference.
GA came via "Patch Notes" sticky above, which ultimately led to download from http://www.gamefront.com/files/files/23418816/GalacticArmoryMod_1_9_4.zip

The download seems to be okay. At least it is working normally for me.

OOI, what aspect is it about your Mod or your design which allows the Colonizer less Life Support than Colonists?

I don't think we even changed anything about the life support requirements. It just happens so that a life support system provides more oxygen than a colony module of the same size requires.

The main difference here is that the default colony ship design from the mod cuts it MUCH closer - there is barely any more life support provided than needed (something around ~1%, iirc).

Truth be told I have no idea how to resolve this issue right now. Well, you could increase the level gain curve or starting tech level, or change the Colony Ship and Colony Ship C blueprints to have more life support, but that would only cure the symptom, not the cause. :-\

EDIT:
This is a long shot, but could you try this and post the log here (or attach it to a post)?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:55:46 PM by XTRMNTR2K »

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 03:17:45 PM »
>>It just happens so that a life support system provides more oxygen than a colony module of the same size requires
I'm not finding that, and I'm not finding that in vanilla either.  I shall investigate further...
And your other suggestion.

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 03:26:38 PM »
Hang on!
Are you claiming that in Vanilla you can reduce its Colonizer to 3 Life Support for the 4 Colonists?  I am saying that errors there too?

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »
Hang on!
Are you claiming that in Vanilla you can reduce its Colonizer to 3 Life Support for the 4 Colonists?  I am saying that errors there too?

Err, no, I was wrong. Just checked and the size is at the absolutely required minimum as well.

Still, even if the life support values in the mod have been changed compared to vanilla SR, what you're seeing shouldn't be happening.

Anyway, did the log file turn anything up?

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
Will have to look into logfile thing later in week :)  My thanks for your interest, will return.

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
I attach (hopefully) the logfile.

Yes, there are warnings.  Question is, do they matter or explain?

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
I attach (hopefully) the logfile.

Yes, there are warnings.  Question is, do they matter or explain?

There seems to be something seriously wrong with your game installation. It appears as though there are files within your game installation that do not belong there, causing conflicts with the subsystems from the mod (they won't load properly because they already appear to have been initialized by non-standard files in your game installation).

My advice would be to uninstall the game and remove the remaining folders and files before doing a clean reinstall and patching the game. That way you can be *really* sure there are no old leftover files from that messed up installation.

Once that is done you can install the mod again and should be able to play it the way it was meant. :)

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
Hi @XTRMNTR2K,

Thank you.  With a brief look I thought the only stuff was where --- when you gave me a new Colony Ship.xml to install --- I had done my usual and copied the file before replacing.  I began to realise from the log that the game might load all files it found rather than having a list of what to load.  But remember my problem started before I came here.

Anyways, it sounds like the best now would indeed be to have a clear out!  Or indeed a clean restart.  And thank you Windows 8 for putting half the stuff in ~\Documents\My Games\Star Ruler.  Now, where did I put that SR CD/DVD ... ?

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »
Hi @XTRMNTR2K,

Thank you.  With a brief look I thought the only stuff was where --- when you gave me a new Colony Ship.xml to install --- I had done my usual and copied the file before replacing.  I began to realise from the log that the game might load all files it found rather than having a list of what to load.  But remember my problem started before I came here.

Some things like image files have to be initialized so they can be used as materials (through materials.txt and related files), but pretty much everything else is used as long as it is present. One of the things that make modding this game so easy, but sometimes it can bite you as well. :D

Anyways, it sounds like the best now would indeed be to have a clear out!  Or indeed a clean restart.  And thank you Windows 8 for putting half the stuff in ~\Documents\My Games\Star Ruler.  Now, where did I put that SR CD/DVD ... ?

Good luck finding it! :)

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
Right, the short answer is: it's working now!  8)

The longer answer is...  Before reinstalling, looked thru logfile, the problem was I had created a copy Game Data/Sub Systems/ship_systems -  Copy.txt and modified the original.  The change (for vanilla) was to introduce fuel & ammo transports (I think GA has these), as given to me in another board here.  TBH, I had no recollection I had done that.  I got rid of my modified, and restored original only.  No more warnings in logfile, and your Colony Ship now works!!  Obviously I need to discount my disastrous first GA game where the AI never got off his planet....

I am interested: I had not realised, I guess, that I had "modded" the game and that might make GA not work --- was that my responsibility to realise?! :)

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »
P.S.
The situation now in logfile is that lines below still complain, to do with "shaders" in GA.  I realise this is of no consequence.  Do I actually need to reinstall to deal with, or is this an expected message?

Code: [Select]
============
Loading resources...
============
============
Hooking script functions...
============
Loading shader descriptor file: Mods\galactic-armory-1.9.4\Materials/shaders.txt
GLSL shader failed to compile
ERROR: 0:7: '=' :  cannot convert from '3-component vector of float' to 'float'

Mods\galactic-armory-1.9.4\Materials/shaders.txt(3) error Sd004: Error loading shader "Shield", see previous lines for specifics
GLSL shader failed to compile
ERROR: 0:41: '=' :  cannot convert from 'float' to '3-component vector of float'

Mods\galactic-armory-1.9.4\Materials/shaders.txt(24) error Sd004: Error loading shader "CoronaAnim", see previous lines for specifics
GLSL: failed to retrieve uniform information
Mods\galactic-armory-1.9.4\Materials/shaders.txt(60) error Sd004: Error loading shader "RangeRing", see previous lines for specifics
============
Hooking script functions... Finished(40ms)
============

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »
P.S.
The situation now in logfile is that lines below still complain, to do with "shaders" in GA.  I realise this is of no consequence.  Do I actually need to reinstall to deal with, or is this an expected message?

I saw these before when I looked through your log file, but I don't think they should be causing any trouble. Though I am wondering why they're popping up in the first place.
Is everything looking normal? Do ships have visible shields around them (when they're equipped with working shields, that is)?

Right, the short answer is: it's working now!  8)

Woohoo!

I am interested: I had not realised, I guess, that I had "modded" the game and that might make GA not work --- was that my responsibility to realise?! :)

Well, yes and no. I couldn't have known that, but I should have requested the log file earlier to make sure. In any case, all that matters now is that it works! ;D

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 02:00:13 PM »
Some graphics cards (typically Radeon cards) are very picky about implicit conversions. They also sometimes lack some functions that would normally make sense on the inputs. The shaders will be broken, but no other issues should occur.

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 03:58:13 PM »
@Thy Reaper
I think this is using an on-board Intel, so may not be surprising.  The point is it's not likely to change by reinstalling, I think!

@XTRMNTR2K
Thank you so much for volunteering your help!  I've had a hard work day doing support (Please do this for me.  I can't because it errors.  OK, what was the error?  I don't know, does it matter?...), so it's nice to be on the opposite side of the customer service war for once. :)

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
@XTRMNTR2K
Thank you so much for volunteering your help!  I've had a hard work day doing support (Please do this for me.  I can't because it errors.  OK, what was the error?  I don't know, does it matter?...), so it's nice to be on the opposite side of the customer service war for once. :)

No Problem! :)

I'm also used to helping others when tech-related things go wrong, so I can relate to that. :D