Author Topic: ABEM Ringworlder/Harvester Ships  (Read 698 times)

Talverin

• View Profile
ABEM Ringworlder/Harvester Ships
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:40:41 PM »
I am experiencing an issue where, sometimes, harvester ships will continually attempt to return to a single planet/location even after the harvesting is done. At first, it would only do this to planets I had marked for colonization, but the third time it did not. The fourth time, they chose a random location in the middle of an enemy system, outside of any actual systems. The third and fourth times occurred in the same game, with the harvesters switching fully to targeting the deep space location. I made several different harvester hulled ships, some with planet devourers, some without, and it seemed to not make a difference how the ship was actually designed, or where/when it was built. This was in the Experimental build, as it is the only build which has the Ringworlders. It has occurred in all three times which I have played the Ringworlders race. Two times were in dumbbell galaxies, and one was in a spiral galaxy.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Re: ABEM Ringworlder/Harvester Ships
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 04:45:10 AM »
Well, I'm not sure this is the right place for mod bugs, but okay. :P

More to the point: Known issue, not sure how to fix it. (The part where they run off into deep space is weird, though. Can't say I've encountered it before.)

Talverin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:16:39 AM »
I couldn't find the correct thread. The previous thread where I'd been told how to find it was either archived or deleted, so I just kinda roamed around. Couldn't find the proper place, and I had hoped it would be seen here. Alright, if it's a known issue, that's cool, then. Just losing my mind trying to keep a half-dozen Harvesters on track lol. Can we add something to maybe let multiple harvesters speed up the process?

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 10:51:07 AM »
Definitely not. They're slow by design - otherwise, you'd eat up half of the galaxy and automatically win by virtue of depriving all the other empires of their precious resources. (Especially since you can also Harvest colonized planets!)

Basically, Harvesters are supposed to be slow, poorly armed and bulky so that people can engage and destroy them if they get too close - or if they want to slow the Bluuhbi player's advancement. Making them do their work quickly would negate the whole point of it - the ships are bad at fending off attackers, but they still have to be tough enough to merit tactics other than 'run in with a small fleet, blast the Harvester and run back out despite being outnumbered ten-to-one', which means that in order to be stoppable, they have to work slowly.

Mind you, there HAS been a patch yesterday that's made a few buffs and fixes to both Bluuhbi and Vanguard races as a whole - no more trouble with planets orbiting out of the Harvester's range, no more waiting three minutes before sending the Harvester to the next planet, and Vanguard Victory is a lot cheaper now.