Author Topic: Any mods wanted  (Read 1459 times)

UnholySaint

• View Profile
Any mods wanted
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:23:46 AM »
Hello,

When i brought this game i was under the impression of it's You Tube presentations that spoke of excellent modding capabilities and large number of mods. After paying to get it however i found there is only one mod available and while modding support does exist technically, one has to have the time and wish to reverse engineer game data to learn how to benefit from it.

I have ideas of mod that adds to race/social/economy model and want to make it, but starting from zero in both modding and modded gaming experience simply won't have the time to do anything meaningful. This is why i ask those of you who use Steam to share some downloaded mods (when permitted by their license of cause), so other people can gain experience in modding and join the community.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Re: Any mods wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:35:48 AM »
There are a large number of mods available through the Steam Workshop. If you purchased the game through GOG instead, though, you would need to ask those mod authors to publish their mod on these forums or elsewhere.

UnholySaint

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
I don't and won't use Steam, the game was brought from GOG.

As you understand this means that to be able to contact and ask something anyone is Steam Workshop i have first to register, install their spyware and then pay them at least $5. Unfortunately due to my evil conviction that providing data about me and my habits is something i have to be payed for instead of paying for there is no way for me to do this.

This is why i ask for someone who already have access to Steam to share downloaded mods.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:50:17 AM »
Though I disagree that Steam is spyware - it only tracks activities you engage in within Steam itself, such as purchasing or launching a game, or via Google Analytics when visiting its site - I understand your desire to avoid the service. You would be able to use their site to avoid running the software, though getting around their anti-spam restrictions would require either purchasing on their site or, I believe, activating a key through the software. If you change your mind about Steam in the future, you can email your purchase confirmation from GOG to aackermann@blind-mind.com and I'll provide you with a Steam key for SR2.

UnholySaint

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:26:54 AM »
Thank you for your reply

Actually what i dislike the most is their gaming habits tracking and especially their achievement system that simply can't be disabled on some games. Also i dislike the DRM with the needles limitations on how you manage your games and the attempts to enforce use of Ubuntu and specific programs/drivers/versions constantly made by their client.

I still have account and client installation, just never use it to buy games (and they require purchases worth at least $5 to allow to write messages). If it is possible to register my GOG copy and then access Steam Workshop files this will do the job.

I forwarded my purchase confirmation letter with the order ID from GOG to your email.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »
While it sounds like Reaper's going to resolve your issue, I'd like to note that there's more than one SR2 mod off the Workshop.

Most or all of Darloth's mods can be found at https://github.com/Darloth, my mods can be found at https://github.com/DaloLorn/SR2Mods or http://moddb.com/mods/dalos-sr2-mods and the Alternate Balance Expansion Mod can be found at https://github.com/Alarcarr/ABEMMOD or http://moddb.com/mods/alternate-balance-expansion-mod.

I might also be able to poke dolynick with a stick until he uploads his 'Faction Addon' and shipsets. :P

Edit: There's also a few mods posted in this forum, and a multitude of modding-related questions or examples. (Not as many as there could be, mind you, but they're there.)

There's also more questions/examples in the Steam modding forum, and the occasional post in the discussions for the various Workshop addons, and you could analyze the commits to the GitHub repositories I linked to in order to figure out how things work. (Some day, I hope to get access to SR2Beta again to get more stuff to analyze... :D)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:54:06 AM by dalolorn »

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 01:37:17 AM »
It should also be noted that its trivial to DIRECT DOWNLOAD any mod from steam whether or not you own the game through steam.  Requires one greasemonkey/tampermonkey script installed.  Google for instructions
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 01:40:58 AM »
Wasn't that disabled or something?

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 02:35:58 PM »
Steam changes the url format that downloads the mods, and the guy who manages the script updates it to use the new protocol.  yes it gets disabled periodically and very quickly works again.
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

BlueTemplar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 03:47:09 AM »
See also my thread down the very same page :
"Will Steam Workshop split the modding community?"
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=6676.0
Steam changes the url format that downloads the mods, and the guy who manages the script updates it to use the new protocol.  yes it gets disabled periodically and very quickly works again.
And who will want to bother with that, especially if you never know if, and for how long it will keep working?