Author Topic: my RTS type questions and suggestions for Star Ruler 2 (late game)  (Read 842 times)

bcruz111

• View Profile
(disclaimer: i am late to SR1 so please forgive me if you can already do things i have listed)  I love the late game in Star Ruler with great big mega structures, thank you for making a great game I still enjoy today.  My hopes and dreams for Star Ruler 2 mega structure options are: 

1) in the late game when you can build such large ships i would love to be able to use planetary thrusters to build a fleet orbiting a planet where the planet is the flag ship and there are moons orbiting the planet as weapons stations as the inner ring.  and then metal only structures in the outer ring.

2) I want to be able to harvest small asteroids to build huge asteroids then harvest huge asteroids to build small moons, then harvest small moons to build large moons and then harvest large moons to build small planets and then harvest small planets to build large planets (in systems that have no planets)

3) (in systems with planets) i want to use the rock and soil supply and trade to upgrade existing planets to huge planets (gas giant size).  I want to use larger planets to turtle more near the enemy.  i would love to be able to harvest planets (like scrapping a ship) in the distant and safe part of my system to fortify a planet near the border of a hostile race. or combine all the planets of one system into one big planet for better defenses.  i want to be able to upgrade a planet's weapons to be more powerful than a ship's weapons.

4) i would love to be to build a supernova bomb/ship that attacks a star to cause a super nova which creates a huge asteroid field.  the asteroid field would then be the building blocks of new moons and planets

5) if the mass/soil economy is balanced the old real time strategy trade off between explore, fortify (ship and star-base scale), research, and attack could be modified in the late game for research, fortify (planet and star scale), and attack (assuming the late game has little exploration and planetary weapons become more powerful and longer range than ships)

6) I would like planetary weapons with system to system range.  I think you should be able to build large planetary weapons that reach across multiple systems and have planetary defenses for system to system weapons

thank again for having linux support for SR2

bcruz111

• View Profile
Re: my RTS type questions and suggestions for Star Ruler 2 (late game)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:10:35 AM »
i forgot to ask about planetary thrusters,  can you use them to push a planet into a star? or will SR2 have black holes? 

last idea, will SR2 have a scale option where you can adjust the size of the ships and planets to being more realistic to the size of the stars (much smaller ships and planets and much bigger stars)? 

Alikan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »
6) I would like planetary weapons with system to system range.  I think you should be able to build large planetary weapons that reach across multiple systems and have planetary defenses for system to system weapons

I used to terrorize multiplayer with GRAND CANNONS using super large artillary platforms to aniahlate entire planets... its fun but expensive and ideventually get mauled by fleets angry with the destruction of their loved ones, although such a cannon can usually take out the unsuspecting flag ship too.... its a fun tool in very long games against friends and not the more serious star ruler fanatics!

TGS

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »
I'm pretty torn on things like long-range cannons actually. I mean I do believe they should be possible, however they should also be defensible against. Which gets into sort of complicated situations. In Supreme Commander for example, you had nukes which could be fired at people, but you had anti-nukes to defend against them. They cancelled each other out. Which limited their true usefulness. Then you had artillery which if placed within range of the opponents base, couldn't really be defended against at all short of offensively trying to destroy it, or building an excessive number of shields.

In Star Ruler it was possible of course, but there really was no way to defend against it. But it was balanced in that any weapon of that size had a significantly high reload time so you couldn't fire it often enough to really be anything more than an annoyance.

I love the idea of long ranged weapons. I love the idea of siege weapons. Though I'm not sure I like the idea of 'inter-planetary' weapons. They really literally serve no purpose other than annoying the hell out of people and basically trolling. And if they did exist, but could be defended against. Then they end up with the 'cancelled' out issue. So I'm on the fence I suppose.