Author Topic: Star Ruler to no longer be available on Impulse  (Read 42482 times)

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler to no longer be available on Impulse
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 10:03:13 AM »
We are working on alternatives but can't state what they might be at this time.
"Now it will punish you"

dahoste

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 10:12:43 AM »
Matrix Games is another outfit that is very receptive to indie (and modestly budgeted) games.  And Star Ruler is actually a great demographic match for them.

http://matrixgames.com/corporate/submitting.asp

(I hope you don't mind the retail partner brainstorming...)

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »
We approached them a while ago actually.
"Now it will punish you"

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 12:11:40 PM »
Would North American customers order through this site or will there be other alternatives?

Note that Iceberg does indeed ship internationally, so if you're in North America, there's nothing stopping you from ordering aside from shipping price/speed.

Dowdy Hoody

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »
There is a podcast link at the Elemental War of Magic web site (probably other places too) called "Jump the Shark Podcast with Brad Wardell".  He talks about the how and whys of the Gamestop deal and future of digital distribution of games.  Interesting to say the least. 8)

kulath

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
I was rather surprised to see that Star Ruler is on sale at Impulse this Weekend. Is this something that you can not influence?

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »
We're fine with Impulse-as-controlled-by-Stardock gaining sales.  This can be seen by Star Ruler continuing to be sold at this time.  That may change due to recent legal conversations, however; the game may be removed earlier-than-intended.
"Now it will punish you"

Alaskan_Viking

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »

I respect the developers for taking a stand on principle. Reminds me of when California banned .50BMG rifles, so Barrett Firearms Co. (makers of the M-82 .50 cal rifle) announced that they would no longer sell weapons to the state of California, or service their existing weapons, which was a huge loss of business for them.

ObliviousTrek

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2011, 06:50:43 AM »
I think we are going to see more devs pull out soon. One dev has already started to issue Steam keys to its impulse customers.

Shoelip

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »
Wow.  I didn't even realize Impulse had been bought until I saw it here after coming to this website just to link it to someone I was playing Shores of Hazeron with and then I realized I'm not registered on these forums.  I don't have many games on Impulse but Star Ruler is one of them.  I wonder how things will change.  I certainly won't be buying any games from them again any time soon if this change loses my access to Star Ruler.

lethe5683

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2011, 03:00:52 AM »
What a shame, impulse seemed like a really good service too; but if gamestop is taking it over I will most likely stop using it.

SpardaSon21

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
The same.  I preferred Impulse to Steam as long as Stardock was in control, but since GameStop is taking over I'll stick with Steam.
Peace is not about having a bigger stick than the other guy.  Peace is about beating the other guy with your bigger stick until he submits to your benevolent rule.

-Frequent forumite and player of both Sword of the Stars and Sins of a Solar Empire.

ouch

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »
just saw this:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/04/10/stardock-head-surprised-by-star-rulers-decision-to-depart-imp/

might be worth a read if your interested in this topic.
My Mods:
Auto Resource Transfering Subsystems (Fuel, Power, Ammo):
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=1427.0
Advanced spiral universe generation:
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=1536.0
Currently working on: Adv Spiral Universe Map

Amethyst

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:22:25 PM by Amethyst »

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
Star Ruler was recently removed from sale on the service.

darkova

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2011, 02:05:21 AM »
is there anything i can do to download the game from another provider since i already bought this on impulse?

chemicalderrick

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2011, 03:07:24 AM »
I am pretty new to SR and have never tested Impulse, either, so I got a question:

How does GameStop neglect the PC platform? What has GS done to have this reputation?

I am from Germany and GS is nearly non-existent around here, thats why I am wondering.
Also, I think it is really dumb to not support Indies. I mean, havent games like Star Ruler, Minecraft and others proven that Indie games
not only can but mostly ARE waaaay more creative than all the crap the big companies spit out? And isnt the digital distribution supposed to be a cheaper alternative to shelves in your local store?
Aint that the whole idea?

I am dreaming of becoming an Indie someday so this pisses me off, especially when great ideas bite the dust due to such actions.

Luckily there do exist alternatives.
Greetz

chemicalderrick

SpardaSon21

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »
You've probably never been in a GameStop, so you won't know about their practically-nonexistent PC shelf space.  GameStop also focuses on buying used console games for $20 and selling them at $50-$55.  GameStop simply does not respect the PC.
Peace is not about having a bigger stick than the other guy.  Peace is about beating the other guy with your bigger stick until he submits to your benevolent rule.

-Frequent forumite and player of both Sword of the Stars and Sins of a Solar Empire.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:39 AM »
I am from Germany and GS is nearly non-existent around here, thats why I am wondering.

The main reason for them being so underrepresented here in Germany is that Germany's PC games market is still relatively strong compared to the console market, mainly due to the ongoing success of casual and budget games, simulations (farming simulators, train simulators and truck simulators to name a few) as well as some PC-focused genres, such as adventure games. Sadly, the PC is still getting weaker.

I, for one, as a long-time gamer, am fed up with some of the console bullshit that's been going on (o hai sony!) and will not buy any new game consoles in the years to come.

Though it is sad to see Star Ruler simply vanish from Impulse (which I used to prefer to Steam where possible in the past), it's small signs like these that need to happen to show companies like GameStop what the PC crowd thinks of their business practices. Like I said before, kudos to Blind Mind Studios for having the balls to see it through. I'm sure the potential loss of sales due to this isn't exactly small.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »
How does GameStop neglect the PC platform? What has GS done to have this reputation?
GameStop was once one of the best ways to get PC games.  Due to its close competitors, it kept itself honest, stocked some indie titles and generally speaking wasn't too much of a hassle to shop at.  Over the years, what was 4 whole walls of PC games (and these were the 'full box' size, but was still at about 2 1/2 walls when the switch to small box happened) shrank to a tiny, stomach-high, two-sided rack mainly stocked by Blizzard (they pay to have their presence in the store) and by stocked by Blizzard I mean the war chests.  Sometimes there are some recent, high-profile, titles on the shelf but not often and never in quantity.

If you would like to buy any PC game you have to pre-order it, basically, otherwise they won't stock it.  Now, all that wouldn't be bad in your typical business environment.   It's likely GameStop would just lose out PC competition to its competitors.  Except that its competitors got swallowed into GameStop; effectively making it a monopoly in some areas.  Circuit City provided PC retail, but went bankrupt.  Best Buy used to offer a wide selection of PC games over a large area (I think 4 or 5 full shelves, about 3-4 sections long): now it's half of one full shelf.

Now the most important thing is:  That monopolization occurred before Steam really existed.  The whole problem was that there was usually no place else to go to get PC games unless you were lucky enough to live in a major metropolitan area.  The reason for why PC games started shrinking in presence at GameStop are probably primarily greed motivated:  As PC games started using DRM the PC section shrank and the used game sales grew.  Now, fine, that cuts into their retail pricing and all (because they can't sell them used anymore).  But I want to stress that they were effectively a monopoly, therefore unless the whole of PC gamers decided to just stop buying games, they had to buy them at GameStop if they were unlucky.  All that put together:  GameStop abandoned its PC market and still has no real desire to be in it.

This trend of not caring about the PC market [and independent games] has been a long and growing thread.  It's even still visible:  the digital distribution system on their site (not Impulse) was an aggregator that only really sold big-name games and even those included didn't represent the lion's share of market demand.  That timid 'toe into the water because maybe it'll kill our company'/'we really don't know how to make this work, so do it for us' really shows well their inexperience and their discomfort in breaking back into the PC market.  They don't really understand the PC market because they didn't know how to sell it before, they still don't now because they're letting other companies decide "who they wear", and I'd mark this purchase down as an act of desperation in attempting to be relevant in the PC market.

With all that:  GameStop has had the wealth and more than the opportunity to really be a leader in the PC market sector for years and years.  They've neglected the market and neglected their customers, so few owe them any loyalty anymore.  They are a business whose primary obligation is to get customers 'invested' in their storefront as they're the only game in town that buys consoles and games for cheap and 'flips' them to turn a great profit (but then turn around and only offer a fraction of that fraction of money in actual walk-out cash to the customer); all this whilst badgering the customer about the various opt-ins they have. 

That they're now trying to 'make amends' to those same customers after several years of Steam demonstrating a vibrant and profitable PC market, their token download system was a joke and this recent acquisition a demonstration of inconfidence in their ability to lead (justifiably so)?  None of these things are confidence building and none of them are qualities we would like to see in a partner: and that's why, in the context of the necessity of making a snap decision, we made the decision that we did.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:27:00 PM by Firgof »
"Now it will punish you"

ARGH1

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »
I was just logging into impulse and noticed an update and sadly it now shows the Gamestop logo on it...

eRe4s3r

• Contributor
  • Distracted
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »
Mhhh, if anything this decision is too early. If it had been based on something graspable like a dedicated decision by the new owners of Impulse that goes against Indy developers it would be understandable, but declaring to not-support a company before you have a (in any way related) reason to do so is shooting your powder too early.

Maybe worse, because Steam originally refused Star Ruler when Impulse was the only place that accepted it it looks like you are biting the hand that fed you and honestly, i agree that this makes this decision look all the more "odd" - or at least way too soon.

As I live in Germany I know nothing of Gamestop so i have no opinion, any change to make Impulse actually relevant outside of the USA is welcome, so far Impulse is more restricted and walled off than Guantanamo, that is if you want to buy any of the AAA games which are nearly often (always?) restricted to US/Canada.

Anyhow, you gotta know what you are doing
.- Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom -.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
We could not make the decision any later than we did as I have stated many times.  We had to make it then and, as I showed above, there were plenty of reasons both logical and ethical to persuade us to drop the contract.  As time has worn on, our decision has only been reinforced.  The affiliate program was dropped, our conversations with GameStop were... aggravating, and I only see dark clouds on the horizon from the announcements they've made on what they want to do with the service thus far.

I'm willing to be proven wrong but they have a very compelling history that persuades me to not expect sweeping or even moderate change.  By and large they've "stuck to the plan" and never gone against their known policies.  I expect GameStop to do 'evil' things like I expect Derek Smart to have convoluted interfaces with non-tooltipped three-letter acronyms everywhere.  Sure, I am willing to accept Smart changing his UI design practices but I've been well conditioned to expect that.

I would go into the legal stuff if I were allowed to but I cannot.  Suffice to say: There was more than one compelling legal reason that soured the water in a truly significant and important manner.  Our further contact with them has only continued to degrade our opinion and willingness to work with GameStop-by-way-of-Impulse.

Losing Impulse was a very big blow to us and it was not a casual decision that we made.  There were long debates with all of us debating pros and cons as quickly as possible.  We tried to gather as much information as we could.  We double-checked all the legal stuffs to make sure we were reading our obligations and their obligations correctly.  We considered their history, their financial status, their corporate ethics, and our interactions with them.  From all that, we came to the unanimous decision that we had to drop the contract.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:40:57 PM by Firgof »
"Now it will punish you"

Amethyst

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »
is there anything i can do to download the game from another provider since i already bought this on impulse?

For the time being, it is still availible on Impulse for download if you have purchased it.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2011, 05:43:43 PM »
because Steam originally refused Star Ruler when Impulse was the only place that accepted it

Impulse was after GamersGate and Direct2Drive in accepting Star Ruler onto the service.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
As I live in Germany I know nothing of Gamestop so i have no opinion, any change to make Impulse actually relevant outside of the USA is welcome, so far Impulse is more restricted and walled off than Guantanamo, that is if you want to buy any of the AAA games which are nearly often (always?) restricted to US/Canada.

That is still better than having to put up with that crap practice of releasing only censored versions of many games in the German Steam shop. We have to keep in mind that the regional pricing and censorship issues are both controlled by the publishers, though. Well, that and Steam doesn't offer an age verification system that would stand up to German regulations (though, since they are based in the US, I'd say "fuck this" and release uncut stuff anyways).

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2011, 05:54:35 PM »
crap practice of releasing only censored versions of many games in the German Steam shop

I have a feeling that this isn't Steam doing it, but your silly laws ;) I would doubt anyone would spend the time/money to censor things if they didn't have to.

regional pricing

Yeah, that one is a bit silly. But as you said (and as Star Ruler shows), that's not Steam's fault but the developer/publishers'.

eRe4s3r

• Contributor
  • Distracted
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2011, 06:17:01 PM »
Indeed, and Impulse/Gamersgate/D2D have the same problems. ;/ Stupid youth protection laws.

Thanks for clearing that up though, I totally forgot about Gamersgate and D2D ;P (I am only on Steam/Impulse anyway). My memory sucks apparently.

As I have no "inside" view on what goes on behind the scenes @ Impulse I can only guess. But if the goal is to compete against Steam they probably shouldn't annoy Indy and "not AAA" developers....
.- Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom -.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »
I have a feeling that this isn't Steam doing it, but your silly laws ;)

That's what we usually get to hear from all who don't have to put up with stuff like this - and it's only half of the truth. No offense intended, of course. :)

I know that aside from Valve games (i.e. TF2) this isn't Valve's doing. Usually the publishers do this because they grew so used to dealing with the shitty laws in the past that they became overly cautious by now. But the thing is that there is no law that makes anyone censor their games. Only a tiny fraction of games is actually banned (usually those with certain political symbols or excessive scenes of violence or glorification of it), or rather put on an index limiting the available options of selling and advertising to a minimum (though even that is wrong in my opinion). Often it is worth pursuing a lower age rating, though, to maximize sales. Even games with an USK 18 rating can be sold easily, but it can and will hurt sales. That is one of the reasons many games are released in a cut version.

The games that are put on an index (in a different process) can still be sold - but not openly advertised (so they need to be sold "under the counter", effectively killing sales almost completely).

I would doubt anyone would spend the time/money to censor things if they didn't have to.

Because some publishers don't wanna go through the hassle of having their games checked (multiple times) only to get denied the rating they were aiming for, it has become an option to not even try and release a game in Germany. Others simply opt for the path of least resistance and risk, censoring their games in advance because it will - probably - still be the more economical approach in the end.

That being said, I simply refuse to pay for incomplete software. Moreover, games can be and often are a form of art; why would I buy censored art?
So in this case, I'll either go for an import (in the case of Mortal Kombat 2011 for example, for which a German release won't even be considered for obvious reasons) or simply have to do without it.

Stupid youth protection laws.

I think that is exactly the point where things are going wrong. The Jugendschutzgesetz is supposed to protect kids. It was never meant to protect or limit responsible, adult people. However, our politicians - for a multitude of reasons - won't see reason and still view computer games as some sort of magical voodoo mumbo-jumbo that is only meant for kids and freaks. Some of this I know from first hand experience, since my last job involved dealing with politicians on a daily basis.

Anyways, sorry for bringing this up. Didn't want to clutter this thread with something unrelated to it. I should *really* refrain from posting when I'm sleepy...

chemicalderrick

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »
Thanks for the information, that explains alot.

But how can they be THAT dumb? They wanna come back because of the vibrant PC digital download market, sure, but if they abandon the PC market as a shop that had a monopoly they cause the downfall of the market themselves and are also able to save it, aren't they?

Whatever, I never used Impulse and I won't start now, so all thats left is to respect you for the balls proven.
Greetz

chemicalderrick