Author Topic: Multi-Galaxies  (Read 1860 times)

Fideach

• View Profile
Multi-Galaxies
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
I've been reading this forum thread:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?s=883c47ff7b1a2a7d44acb271f1cb5f0b&t=125522&page=2

There was mention of adding multi-Galaxies.. I would love to see that. Could we have jump gates, worm holes.. you know, cool things like that to go with it?

The thought of finally getting peace in my own Galaxy then having to face a threat from another galaxy is so appealing.
Be awesome to be beating the heck out of an opponent, only for them suddenly get all the more powerful due to some advance race from another galaxy backing them up behind the scenes.  Grand scale manipulation, influencing outcomes, etc.
Hell even being the one to visit a younger galaxy and manipulating races there to your gain. Starting wars, stealing resources, you know, whatever your evil self can think of.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Galaxies
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »
That would be cool, we agree.  We'd like to pursue that post-release in the future after principle work on the game has been finished as there's certain optimizations that we'd want to do in order to properly support multiple galaxies instead of just genning galaxies away from each other with the current scripts and whatnot.
"Now it will punish you"

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:00:12 PM »
Considering you're talking about map generation "scripts", am I right in assuming they are moddable? So theoretically you could alter it to generate two galactic cores with systems around them and a gap in between?

I realise having the galaxies as actual separate things to the game engine would be cool, but the easy way does seem adequate until you can spare the time to implement those optimizations.

Fideach

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »
Cool ^.^ My thoughts on it would be to force a limit on the size of galaxies; perhaps when dealing with multiple galaxies in a game. Have it convert the one "galaxy" to be more like a sector of space in an arm of a spiral galaxy that you are in and the other galaxies be just different arms of that same spiral galaxy. That require long jumps, or advance warp\hyperspace techs.
Could steal a bit from the principle of how Sins of a Solar Empire handles multiple stars; but instead of Star Ruler having stars set up, each of them represents a galaxy or "Sector" of space. If you get what I mean by this.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
Considering you're talking about map generation "scripts", am I right in assuming they are moddable? So theoretically you could alter it to generate two galactic cores with systems around them and a gap in between?

I realise having the galaxies as actual separate things to the game engine would be cool, but the easy way does seem adequate until you can spare the time to implement those optimizations.
That is correct.  But there are some... "issues" that we need to solve before we do it.

Cool ^.^ My thoughts on it would be to force a limit on the size of galaxies; perhaps when dealing with multiple galaxies in a game. Have it convert the one "galaxy" to be more like a sector of space in an arm of a spiral galaxy that you are in and the other galaxies be just different arms of that same spiral galaxy. That require long jumps, or advance warp\hyperspace techs.
Could steal a bit from the principle of how Sins of a Solar Empire handles multiple stars; but instead of Star Ruler having stars set up, each of them represents a galaxy or "Sector" of space. If you get what I mean by this.
Interesting idea but I'm not quite sure I remember how SoaSE handles that.   As best I recall there were system 'exit points' or something similar and between those systems was empty space which you couldn't do much in.  Am I remembering that correctly?
"Now it will punish you"

Fideach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 03:41:21 PM »
Pretty much everything happened in the gravity wells of planets, that surround a star. Linked by jump routes.

Just pretend for example, the star was the center of the galaxy (the quasar), and the planets were mini sectors of space..
Or
The star would be the center of space, and the planets mini galaxies of stars.

Though over all I would still want the freedom to travel to any system retained. I never liked pre-determined jump routes. I was willing to forgive Space Empires 5 for that since they gave you the ability later in the tech tree to create and close worm holes.

darthsiddious

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:03:54 PM »
it could be like in star wars too. the vong came to the main galaxy even though it was thought that travel between galaxies was impossible. (for what reason, i dont remember). what if you could let everyone have their own galaxy and invade eachother galaxies? like that one map in galactic civs 2? that would be cool in this game.

kelmar6821

• That was my health bar?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 06:11:09 AM »
if memory server the vonng only came from an unexplored part of the galaxy.

Texada

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 06:26:28 AM »
if memory server the vonng only came from an unexplored part of the galaxy.

They came from another galaxy what did not have the "force"

kelmar6821

• That was my health bar?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 06:33:14 AM »
starwars wiki agrees with you. I stand corrected.

darthsiddious

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 12:24:36 PM »
yeah, during the clone wars, they were in unexplored territory scouting. other than that, they were in another galaxy