Author Topic: Voice chat  (Read 716 times)

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Voice chat
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:56:26 AM »
In games like Sins we usually just use skype in the background to do the voice chatting, but considering the diplomatic options in a game like SR it might be good to have a push-to-talk limited voice chat.

As in, you should be able to voice to everyone, only allies, only to a specific person, etc. It makes discussing treaties behind someone's back a lot easier.

I suppose you could use chat (it does have whisper/ally chat, right?), but that leads to "Hmm… I'm hearing you type awfully much… you sure you're not going to betray me?".

Texada

• Distracted
    • View Profile
Re: Voice chat
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »
If it was push-to-talk you wouldn't hear them type unless they were talking and typing.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:34:28 AM »
Yes. I mean that the alternative would be that we'd all be on skype together, which just sends audio all the time.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
Licensing a voice codec is very expensive, so this is simply impossible for us, sorry.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:47:24 AM »
Ah, I see. Hadn't thought of it that way. A quick google yields Speex as a free alternative, though.

I don't have any experience in audio codecs at all, but I do know that things that require expensive licensing (fonts, codecs, etc) usually do have free counterparts that are reasonably good to sometimes superior.

By all means focus on gameplay before adding these polish features, of course.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:54:55 AM by GGLucas »