Author Topic: Is SR2 ready for release?  (Read 2273 times)

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Is SR2 ready for release?
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:19:09 AM »
I'm just wondering... what was the reason for the March 27th launch date? Is it because the game is feature complete? I mean, I haven't taken a look at the github repo, but as of the early access version there seems to be a super-limited shipset in the vanilla and gameplay mechanics that still seem to need quite a bit of polishing.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I mean, the game is going well - don't get me wrong - but it doesn't really feel like we are getting close to a launch level yet... I mean, even the tech tree and diplo graphics feel like total placeholders.

Perhaps it's a financial issue?

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Re: Is SR2 ready for release?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:59:07 AM »
Two more shipsets were just added, and the Volkur shipset was expanded.

There will always be more we can do with the game, either adding to it or improving it, but we have to move to release at some point. Based off a number of factors, including the cost of ongoing development, we chose to release now.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 02:23:47 PM »
To be completely honest I was surprised and a little concerned when I saw the announcement for the release on the 27th. Concerned not so much about the state the game is going to be in or if it'll remain in that state, but more about how it is going to be perceived by new players who haven't played the first game and know nothing about BMS' awesome support and continued development of their games.

With that being said, I understand and respect your decision to release the game now; I suppose the amount of Early Access sales have dropped (as is to be expected), and there will most likely be a large influx of new players after full release. After all, many people have become wary of Early Access titles, and won't buy a game before it is in a finished state.

So looking at the close release date I'm hoping for the best and wishing for a huge (and well-deserved) success... but I'll still welcome any improvements post-release. ;D

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
I'm not quite sure in what respects you don't think the game is done yet. All the features on the list of things we wanted are done and polished to a decent level. Even if we took another month or even two there isn't much about the game that would change majorly, it's all pretty much the way we envisioned it.

That's not to say we don't have ideas for more content and mechanics to add for an expansion pack or two.

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 07:20:43 PM »
I think the main thing is that we are looking at the latest EA build while you are looking at the gold v1.0 build.

To be honest, the diplo card graphics and shipset graphics are the two biggest things that seem "unfinished" to me. (going by the launch trailer you put up) I really wish you guys had the resources to get some better looking graphics onboard. I know it's a "small" thing, but these little things can grate on people.

In any case, I hope that the gameplay in 1.0 is truly at a "release" level and that you will continue supporting the game while people continue buying it. Here's hoping.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 04:26:58 AM »
Well, the graphics quality is somewhat inconsistent (see the lifestyle selection, for example), but I really don't think that's such a big problem.

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 06:42:37 AM »
If SR2 is trying to reach the next level and do something like paradox (they went from low quality graphics -> high quality graphics + good engine + great sales) then they are going to need to bump it up.

I'm sure others feel differently, but personally for me the graphics diff between CK1 and CK2 really made it a different game for me.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:40:59 AM »
While I would certainly love for BMS to produce games as successful as Paradox's titles, that's just not very likely to happen without outside funding. If we had the funding that those games do we could surely achieve far better art, support more features, and have better and longer lasting post-release support. For now, we're just three people plus outside assistance and with very little funding.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »
You hear that, guys? Throw more resources at them! :D

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 07:25:58 PM »
I'm James Woodall and I approve this message.
You hear that, guys? Throw more resources at them! :D
"Now it will punish you"

Ynglaur

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »
I still haven't figured out the ins and outs of this game; they've added features faster than I can keep up.  I'd say its ready for launch.  :)

Congrats Firgof and Thy Reaper and team.

JosEPh

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »
Happy that I could help support SR and SR2 by buying both.

Best Wishes to the BM team and hoping that you can keep on creating good PC games.

JosEPh