Author Topic: Trait File Planet Problem  (Read 477 times)

Hassie

• View Profile
Trait File Planet Problem
« on: April 04, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
I am having a problem with planets starting outside the intital solar system blue grid, meaning I cannot get or give them resources. Even if I take ever system surrounding me, and they are clearly inside the blue ring, and I build commerce stations, they will not allow me to take their resources or give them any. The only solution is to research planet thrusters and move them closer to their sun.

Is there a solution to make planets start closer to a sun in the trait files?
For instance

InHomeSystem( MakePlanet(RandomLevel:1:Common))

Is there something I can add to this line to tell it to be a certain distance from the sun, or tell this planet it's min and max orbit?

I notice in the system files, I can add as many planets as I want and they are all within the orbit, but if I add a planet to a government file, they are outside the orbit and cannot receive or send resources until moved in.

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: Trait File Planet Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »
You can increase the system size by ~20% or so and see if that works. It won't touch the default orbits but might give you a larger area that covers the new planets you want to bring in.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
That's because of an odd interaction between MakePlanet and InHomeSystem when called after map generation is already finished (MakePlanet tries to make the system bigger, but it can't because the system has already spawned).

You can switch this behavior from "enlarge system" to "spawn at a random position in the system" by setting the "Orbit Spacing" argument to 0. So you'd have:

Code: [Select]
InHomeSystem( MakePlanet(RandomLevel:1:Common, Orbit Spacing = 0))

Hassie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:34:30 PM »
OMG I tried Orbit spacing, after looking at the Blackhole Unique System file, but i didn't set it to 0. Thank you so much for the reply.