Author Topic: [Archive] Galactic Armory Discussion Thread  (Read 122998 times)

rincewind

• View Profile
Re: [Archive] Galactic Armory Discussion Thread
« Reply #2160 on: June 12, 2012, 03:44:59 AM »
Ouch, Remnants are heavy in GA. You don't need other opponents. :o

The logic for the Jump Drive with single ships works very fine. Jumping with a hole fleet, sometimes there is a unlovely effect: Jumping to the star will send some ships to the border of the system and some ships directly near the sun (like vanilla). This happens mostly to the smaller ships of the fleet. Near a Remnant Station I must build new one's after that, because they are destroyed before the fight starts.  ;D

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #2161 on: June 12, 2012, 04:17:42 AM »
I am refining the city lights method to reduce city sprawl in the coastal seas. I will post them here, or send them to you if you would be interested in including them in the mod. I only have 3 so far and they are WIP, but I think they are usable. I am having a slight problem, that the city lights now display on the planet all the time, not just on the night side. There are 3 sets of parameter for each texture in the planet_textures.txt. One in generic, the other is _low and the third is _empty. I am adding:

RenderMode: CityLights
 Texture2: /Images/Planets/RockE_lightmap.jpg
 SpecularFactor: 15

to the "normal" ie without the _empty or _low.
Am I doing something wrong, or have I been just unlucky ingame to get sufficiently illuminated planet to get day/night change?

Here is one I churned out just this morning, Its for the RockE.jpg, the one with just few islands. I am working on 1024*512 format because they are very ligtweight that way. Now I really have to go to work, although I don't have to worry about the boss. Being self employed does have perks! ;D
Check out my Mirage shipset for Star ruler and Galactic Armory.
link under my name.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 12, 2012, 04:30:51 AM »
City Lightmaps start off non existent only appearing on colonized planets and then start off very dim / not filled in only getting brighter / filled in as the population level goes up.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

icerunner5326

• View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 12, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
That will happen if you modify the default settings to an extreme, or just randomly in some cases. Nothing we can do about it in the short run you just have to start a new game.

Hmm.. any idea which settings will do that?  I slowed down the tech research and benefits (cost curve 1.9, stat increase 1.1), and a few other things.  Weakened the remnants a bit.  Don't think I changed much else though (contradicts previous statement).  I guess I'll start over and see what happens.  Thanks

Wyvernmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 12, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
I slowed down the tech research and benefits (cost curve 1.9, stat increase 1.1), and a few other things.  I guess I'll start over and see what happens.  Thanks

Bolded and Underlined the potential problem.  It could be that the scaling of the AI ships are causing them to insta-fail.  Generally I leave the stat increase alone as it tends to create issues with the AI designs when the benefits are reduced.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #2165 on: June 12, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
Allright, my city maps have leveled up a couple of times  ;).
I had to do most of the lights by hand in the end, because the automated process didn't quite produce maps with that "organic" feel real cities do.

I have done 9 so far, almost all of the "gaia" class planets(RockX in GA files), Including some from the vanilla game, witch didn't have any city maps.
I have integrated them into GA and they all work and stuff. I have decided to go with grey-scale as opposed to the light yellow glow in vanilla, because pure black-white texture is less prone to ugly artefacts after the planet reaches >500 M population (overpopulation). Are you guys interested at all in them? I can post them here in package if you want, including the modified planet_textures.txt

Here is one example.
link under my name.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 12, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »
Are you guys interested at all in them? I can post them here in package if you want, including the modified planet_textures.txt

Sorry for the recent lack of activity. I'm absolutely positively interested. Those look great judging from the screenshot. The hard work you put into this is definately appreciated! :)

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #2167 on: June 12, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Looks outstanding to me. Nice work
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

icerunner5326

• View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 12, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
Bolded and Underlined the potential problem.  It could be that the scaling of the AI ships are causing them to insta-fail.  Generally I leave the stat increase alone as it tends to create issues with the AI designs when the benefits are reduced.

Thanks, I'll try it again with that at the default value and report back if it doesn't work.

I noticed one more thing:  this time around I set all of the AI's personalities manually at the game setup screen (suspecting that the "random" option may be a contributing factor in the lack of AI activity).  I set up one of each personality (or is it race?).  Upon entering the game, they are all the "Inhibitor" race.  Same behavior when leaving the races random.

xrogaan

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 12, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
I don't seem to be able to board the Remnant jump gate. Does the scale of the boarding ship matter ? It seems that they are not event trying to fire at all...

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #2170 on: June 13, 2012, 02:15:50 AM »
Ok, I will finish the remaining lightmaps for the Gaia class planets ( that is 4 left in GA + few more I think from the vanilla) and then send them to you. I probably will not have time today, but they should be done by end of the week...
link under my name.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 13, 2012, 02:30:18 AM »
I noticed one more thing:  this time around I set all of the AI's personalities manually at the game setup screen (suspecting that the "random" option may be a contributing factor in the lack of AI activity).  I set up one of each personality (or is it race?).  Upon entering the game, they are all the "Inhibitor" race.  Same behavior when leaving the races random.

Thats a bug with the race description / name reader I added, they are actually different personalities.

I don't seem to be able to board the Remnant jump gate. Does the scale of the boarding ship matter ? It seems that they are not event trying to fire at all...

Should be working fine, although I never tested it when upgrading boarding to match the 1.2 release from vanilla, but that didn't touch the fire conditions only the reactivating of subsystems.

GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

xrogaan

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 13, 2012, 03:15:19 AM »
I can confirm that I am not able to make boarding working. If somebody know how to do, please tell. (I may do it wrong.)

Also, another null pointer:
Code: [Select]
Script Exception: Null pointer access
 JumpDrive::void Jump(Event@, float)
  D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Ruler\Mods\GalacticArmory\Game Data\scripts\server\JumpDrive.as(64:2)

This one resulting in a ship unable to target and jump.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 13, 2012, 03:42:06 AM »
I can confirm that I am not able to make boarding working. If somebody know how to do, please tell. (I may do it wrong.)

No boarding is working, tested it myself this morning.

Also, another null pointer:
Code: [Select]
Script Exception: Null pointer access
 JumpDrive::void Jump(Event@, float)
  D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Ruler\Mods\GalacticArmory\Game Data\scripts\server\JumpDrive.as(64:2)

This one resulting in a ship unable to target and jump.

The only way that can occur if the ship has been destroyed or you are trying to jump without having fuel on the ship which should never trigger ok.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

xrogaan

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 13, 2012, 03:53:16 AM »
Oh right, I may have forgot about the fuel tanks since the ship don't need fuel at all...

For my boarding issue: I move the ships in the system then order them to board (right click, board ship). Then, the ships completly ignore the command (doesn't even appears in the order list and go do something else. Like moving or attacking scouts... In fact, if I pause the game then give the order, it appears in the orders list but vanish once unpaused. I've attached my layout, I tried with both scale of 100 and 1000. Do I have to damage the ship before boarding, or just the shields ?

xrogaan

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2175 on: June 13, 2012, 03:55:05 AM »
Oh, wait. For some reason the boarding party is offline... Weird.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: June 13, 2012, 04:12:53 AM »
Oh, wait. For some reason the boarding party is offline... Weird.

A lack of crew maybe?

xrogaan

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: June 13, 2012, 06:18:53 AM »
Why, yes. But I don't get it. Isn't the crew limited ? I can't fire my crew at ennemy ships... It works with an integrated command center. However, it doesn't seems to works either if I just add the Crew Quarters.

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #2178 on: June 13, 2012, 07:32:46 AM »
I've now had 3 crashes when double clicking to start teraforming on a planet. The only thing showing up in the .log is creating a memory dump file.
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: June 13, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »
I've now had 3 crashes when double clicking to start teraforming on a planet. The only thing showing up in the .log is creating a memory dump file.

Save would be handy, its an intermittent problem that pops up every now and then even though it seems we've fixed it.

Why, yes. But I don't get it. Isn't the crew limited ? I can't fire my crew at ennemy ships... It works with an integrated command center. However, it doesn't seems to works either if I just add the Crew Quarters.

Boarding party and sufficient power and life support should be all thats needed.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

xrogaan

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: June 13, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »
The Helicoide hull doesn't seems to be unlocked by the listed Tech. Is there another requirement ?

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: June 13, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »
The Helicoide hull doesn't seems to be unlocked by the listed Tech. Is there another requirement ?

Actually yes, you need one more level in Spatial Dynamics than indicated (16 instead of 15). It'll be fixed in the next version. Thanks for spotting this. :D

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #2182 on: June 13, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
Save would be handy, its an intermittent problem that pops up every now and then even though it seems we've fixed it.
Tried a new game 'for science'.  First time I attempt teraforming in this save game I got a crash close to when it would finish. Attempted the teraforming on the planet that contains an orbital dock (if that matters). Have not had any crashes with GA when not trying to teraform yet.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #2183 on: June 14, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »
@XTRMNTR2K:
Well dem maps are done!!. Including 3 witch after I done them realized are not actually used in game (rockF, rockG, RockH). How should I send them to you, just post them on this forum or can I PM you from this forum? I also had some time to mess about and I made new fighter chaingun icon. I made 3 barrel model, since we already have miniguns. Not that much detail in it, but I only spend about 30 mins making it... I am currently working on fighter advanced bomb(since it was a bit plain) but It doesn't look very good, I think I will scrap that model.
link under my name.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: June 14, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »
@XTRMNTR2K:
Well dem maps are done!!. Including 3 witch after I done them realized are not actually used in game (rockF, rockG, RockH). How should I send them to you, just post them on this forum or can I PM you from this forum?

You can either send me a link via PM or send the files to my mail adresse. I'll pm you about this.

I also had some time to mess about and I made new fighter chaingun icon. I made 3 barrel model, since we already have miniguns.

Outstanding work! :D Well, technically the image doesn't show a chaingun but a gatling gun, but I'm actually thinking about renaming the Fighter Chaingun anyway.

Attention! Useless knowledge ahead!
Quote from: wikipedia
A chain gun has a single barrel while a Gatling gun has several rotating barrels. It is a common error to refer to Gatling guns as chain guns, particularly in connection with entertainment such as video games (notably the popular first-person shooter Doom).

Not that much detail in it, but I only spend about 30 mins making it... I am currently working on fighter advanced bomb(since it was a bit plain) but It doesn't look very good, I think I will scrap that model.

That one's really nice, too. Looks more like a missile than a bomb, but that differentation is mostly a moot point with some of these weapons IMHO. It definately fits the description of the weapon. Great work!

Out of curiosity, how did you create these images? I assume you used a render image of a 3D model?

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #2185 on: June 14, 2012, 02:21:30 PM »
Looks more like a missile than a bomb

Better? Or is it still too missiley?
 Edit:

I made a different one, Judging by the purpose of penetrating shields > shields are blue I have coloured the warhead blue

Yes I am making 3D models and rendering them. I can redo the chaingun with just one barrel if you like. The problem is my artistic sense is a bit limited, so I have hard time making a nice design, Once I have at least a rough idea what I am doing, its much easier to draw/make it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:43:51 PM by cause792 »
link under my name.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: June 14, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
Better? Or is it still too missiley?

Heh, actually I prefer the very first one you posted... It's okay like that. The bomb designation doesn't necessarily mean it can't look like a high-tech missile. ;D

However, the white/red one in your current post would make an amazing replacement for the current cluster missile graphics. The group of tubes at the end of the projectile could be a little larger IMHO, that'd be perfect. Even now it's much better looking than the one we currently use.

I made a different one, Judging by the purpose of penetrating shields > shields are blue I have coloured the warhead blue

Hm... If we want to stick to the same theme for weapons with the same purpose, it'd have to be a particular shade of red instead - that's what the Terahertz Torpedo, Assault Cannon and T-Ray Emitter use.

Yes I am making 3D models and rendering them.

And you're doing a great job at it. :D

I can redo the chaingun with just one barrel if you like.

Sure, if you want. We can then decide which one is better. The triple-barreled version could also make a replacement for the assault cannon if you could somehow manage to make it look bulkier and more cannon/artillery-like.

The problem is my artistic sense is a bit limited, so I have hard time making a nice design, Once I have at least a rough idea what I am doing, its much easier to draw/make it.

Yeah, I suffer from the same issue (minus being able to create something good once I know what I want). ;D

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #2187 on: June 14, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »
Ahh, you reply too late!!, And now I have played with this one for so long ... ;D , never mind, At least I am having fun. I will make the adjustments you suggested, but now Im leaving the icons to the side at the moment.
 I am going to concentrate on making a .zip package with the city lights for you. Maybe you will have some suggestions how to improve those as well, its always good to hear second opinion.
link under my name.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: June 14, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
Did you receive the PM I sent you?

Ahh, you reply too late!!, And now I have played with this one for so long.

Don't worry... The blue/white one would make a good EMP Missile :P

See? I can find a use for almost everything! ;)

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: June 14, 2012, 04:46:18 PM »
Even me? :D
"Now it will punish you"