Author Topic: Is anyone out there?  (Read 1177 times)

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Is anyone out there?
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:56:45 AM »
Only just discovered this game....

1. Is anyone still out there, as in still reading/posting this forum?

2. Got my head handed to me on a plate in first attempt.  I think I can see that http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=5064.0 probably provides all the answers.  But I don't like to read a guide this early in my experience which "gives it all away".  Anyone got just a few vital pointers for complete newbie?  :)

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
Re: Is anyone out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 04:15:35 PM »
Dont send colonizers to other star systems unless you have a couple military vessels to send with them for protection.  Later into the game when you can build larger ships in general, you should also build larger colonizer ships so that the planet they colonize starts out with more initial buildings and can become productive to your galactic bank account faster
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

TritAith

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 04:27:24 AM »
Watch your research, good technology can beat almost every enemy (two levels in weaponry more than they, and you do double the damage...) it is always a good Idea to keep general sciences two or three levels higher than everything else, since it controlls your research speed...
Sorry, English is not my native language, but I'm trying :)

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
Wow, thanks for the tips!

I think my start is not uncommon for newbs (from posts elsewhere): I expand OK, I research, I build ships, then after a while an AI turns up with shed-loads of ships, often bigger than mine, and my fleets get shredded.   :'(

One problem is maybe I am more used to slow-paced 4X, SR is perhaps closer to the RTS end, and I'm not acting fast enough?

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:40:27 PM »
... I'm not acting fast enough?
Basically.  At least this was my own problem for my first several games.  But you speed up as you get used to things.  Also dont leave the game unpaused while you're designing ship blueprints.  Thats suicide if you have a nearby and aggressive AI.
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.