Author Topic: Hey, does anyone else remember Fragile Allegiance?  (Read 4431 times)

Starlight

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Hey, does anyone else remember Fragile Allegiance?
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:43 AM »
I was reminiscing about good 4X games that I've played and I was just wondering, given that this is prety much the space-based 4X crowd, does anyone else here remember Fragile Allegiance by tragically defunct Gremlin Interactive?

Fragile Allegiance was a RTS 4X set in an asteroid field, where you played the role of the leader of a franchised Tetracorp mining expedition into a mineral-rich asteroid field, competing (often violently) with rival expeditions. 

The game was 2D, using 3D rendered sprites.  You'd manage your budgets, build balanced asteroid colonies in craters, use transports to found new colonies and shuttle ore around, waiting for the 'Federal Transporter' (which was your primary source of income.)   You'd sacrifice your precious ore and cash to build Fighters for defence (and later, with the building of an expensive space dock, larger ships.)  Prices would vary and you'd find yourself playing market demands to maximise your income (unless, as often happened, you found yourself in a desperate situation.)

The game was really well balanced, with lots of stuff to do generally without overwhelming the player (though you could also hire managers to help out.)  The atmosphere was great, very immersive and the backstory enhanced gameplay rather then distracting from it.  The intro set the scene really well and you really felt like part of the dirty world of corporate competition. 

You had plenty of options for dealing with your rivals, ranging from fleets of ships (expensive and very messy) to inter-asteroidal missiles (ranging in price, but often even messier - for your opponents.) 

Agents also played a role, you could hire them for a varying quality and expense for different jobs, from espionage to sabotage, even delivering illegal biological weapons that you bought from black-market traders.  You could support them with the ever-handy spy-satellites (which themselves could end up causing a diplomatic incident if randomly discovered.) 

Finally, the game posessed what has to have been the best-polished system of diplomacy I've ever encountered in a 4X game.  Whilst essentially dialogue-tree based, you really felt like you were dealing with actual personalities, with each distinct race posessing their own completely unique behavioural patterns and responses (and were fully detailed in an in-game encylopedia - love those.)  The system felt in depth too, there was nearly always more than one option or just a computer sez no answer.  You could always resort to bribery or go crawling to the Federal Representative (the neutral mediator.) 

Overall, I beleive this game should be regarded as a legend of the field - but it often seems like I'm the only one who remembers it (having begged for it for Christmas when I was in high school and then playing it to death.) 

Please, people of the Star Ruler forums, prove me wrong.  Tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks fondly of this gem.  z: j
--------------------------------------------------------
Why, this signature serves no purpose whatsoever!

Matriarch Hathor

• Voice Actor Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, does anyone else remember Fragile Allegiance?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »
You know what? Yes, Yes I remember it. Made in England and sadly went the way of most British games companies... Defunct. Great game now available at Abandonia for use in DOSBox. So I play it from time to time and love it to this day.

I remember that when I owned the actual game. Even though in 1996 I was four years old I had my uncles copy which he gave me in 1999 when I was 7ish as I always played on it. I probably have it still in my "Ye Old Video Games" Container in my attic full of Floppy Disks full of old games. I may dig it out. Slap the old USB Floppy Drive into my PC and get a jog on or more easily drag down the old Windows 98 PC from there and dust it off abit :D

You sir just reminded me of a great game! :D

Starlight

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »
Yeah... another great company gone to the fires of history.  British gaming has suffered mightily the last ten years. 

Didn't know you could get it at Abandonia.  Here was me looking high and low for my CD as well.  Mind you, I don't imagine the game would be the same without the voice acting. 

Anyways, glad to remind at least one person of this great old game.  z: )
Why, this signature serves no purpose whatsoever!

Mindstormer

• Prepare to have your mind stormed.
    • View Profile
    • CSRPC
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
I remember it... but just barely... It happens to be part of my 'childhood'  :o

Does anybody remember the short lived Conquest Frontier Wars? Different shipsets, races, etc. Sorta reminds me of Star Ruler.

SirSpence99

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:00:43 PM »
Yes! I played Conquest just recently! I personally love the ion cannons. At least I think that's what they are called.Get four of those and some defense turrets around them and you can crush anything ;D

Mindstormer

• Prepare to have your mind stormed.
    • View Profile
    • CSRPC
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
Glad to know somebody still plays! I actually own the beta for Conquest Frontier Wars: The Vyrium Uprising (Conquest 2) I got it the day the download was out. (The download was only available for about 20 hours or so.) I think they should make a new version and make high res. models / refurbish the game.

P.S. If you still play Conquest I can setup a server so we can play together.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:20:52 PM by Mindstormer »

WarStalkeR

• Came from Chernobyl...
    • View Profile
    • Waaagh!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 04:18:36 AM »
I have on my PC installed both Conquest Frontier Wars and Fragile Allegiance :)
Tried to hack the last one to run in a window, but DOSBox make it windowed :)

Actually on my PC installed around ~130 games... ~47% of them are Strategies. And ~67% of them are with space setting ;D

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (с) Strugatsky Brothers