Author Topic: Suggestions for Future Racial Attributes thread  (Read 6350 times)

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
Suggestions for Future Racial Attributes thread
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:28:09 AM »
just a few ideas  :)

Biology: Infertile
Cost: +1
This race suffers from a low rate of fertility.
+ Population growth is halved
Clashes with High metabolism

Biology: Large Physique
This species has evolved in such a way that their physical bodies are impractically large in relation to their individual capabilities as ships crewmen.
- Crew Quarters hold 50% less crew
Clashes with Small Physique

Biology: Vacuum Survival
Cost: -1
This species has evolved in such a way that an individual can survive rapid loss of atmosphere and changes of temperature and pressure more readily than most.
- The Life Support subsystem stores 30 seconds of air instead of 10.

Biology: Small Physique
This species has evolved in such a way that their physical bodies are compact and mobile, making them ideally suited to life in the cramped living spaces of warships.
+ Crew Quarters hold 50% more crew

Biology: Intrinsic Mathematics
Cost: -2
The brains of this species have evolved in such a way that they can parallel process with great efficiency, significantly improving their ability to perceive abstract mathematics.
+ 10% Faster Researching

Mentality: Warrior Culture
In this war-like society, Warriors are honoured above all other castes. However, while this benefits the fighting prowess of crewmen in the event of a boarding action, it also leads to the neglect and derision of intellectuals.
+Boarding Parties 10% more efficent against enemy crews
+Crew Quarters 10% more efficent at internal defence
-5% Slower Research
Clashes with History of Pacifism attribute
Clashes with Mathmatical Minds attribute

Mentality: Xenophobic
A policy of Indoctrinated Xenophobia prevents this race from peacefully interacting with alien cultures.
- By default is At War with everyone
- Unable to use Diplomacy

Background: Externally-Funded Space Progam
The vast expenditure required for this race to achieve functional space travel was charitably picked up by a number of wealthy international corporations, leaving a significant store of capital avaliable to fund the first forays into space.
+ Start with a significant store of Metals (150,000), Electronics (60,000) and Advanced Parts (22,500) in the Galactic Bank.
Clashes with Indebted attribute

Background: Computer Dependency
A long running monopoly of computer controlled war machines has resulted in the atrophy of the skills and technology required for the construction of manually controlled spacecraft.
+ Starts with Computer technology to level 1
- Cannot use Bridge subsystem
Clashes with AI Phobia attribute

Background: Great Traders
A long history of thriving commerce guides the design of this cultures infrastructure.
+ Spaceports are 25% more efficent
Clashes with Currency-free Economy attribute

Technology: History of Armored Warfare
This society has a long history of terrestrial warfare centered around the usage of gargantuan armoured vehicles. The resulting specialization in armour compounds is similarly applicable to warfare in space.
+ Starts with Armour technology to level 1
+ Armour has +5% Hitpoints
Clashes with History of Pacifism

Technology: History of Pacifism
This society has a long history of peace and harmony with other species that has seen a neglect in military research.
- Starts with the Projectile Weapons technology undiscovered
Clashes with History of Armoured Warfare attribute
Clashes with Warrior Path attribute

Technology: History of Renewable Energy Sources
Cost: +2
Following an intensely polluting second industrial age, this society has a long history of reliance upon renewable energy sources and now holds a strong cultural bias against the use of inefficient fossil-fuel generators.   
+ Starts with Particle Physics at Level 3
+ Solar Panels are 50% more efficient.
+ Capacitors are 50% more efficient.
- Cannot use Power Generator
- Cannot use Thruster

Technology: Great Miners
The intense level of research required for this society to achieve functional space travel was funded by the mining corporations, economic giants that employ much of the population and seek to recoup the investment through the mining of ore-rich asteroid belts.
+ Starts with Metallurgy at Level 3
+ Starts with Mining Laser at Level 1

Technology: Light Designs
The Military Doctrine of this culture rigidly favors cheaper and more spacious light hulls over the expensive alternatives.
+ Starts with Light Hull Unlocked.
- Cannot use the Standard hull
- Cannot use the Heavy hull

Technology: Early Super-Conductor
Cost: +0
The initial armaments of this culture are predominately energy based, following an early discovery of efficent superconductors.
+ Starts with Beam Weapons technology to level 1.
- Starts with Projectile Weapons technology undiscovered
Clashes with History of Pacifism
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:05:47 AM by Superking »
I Make the Bread

maxi

• Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Future Racial Attributes thread
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:10:56 AM »
I think it is a good extension of racial attributes and would like to see in future patches.

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:07:24 AM »
ker-bump
I Make the Bread

Deadeas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:50:51 AM »
Thought that this might be of use. Likely needs someone who is a better at these things to alter it to be of use.

Biology: Artificial Lifeform
This species is entirely synthetic, having evolved from a single artificial intelligence to something more.
Cost: +3
 * Consciousness Transfer - Pilots of this race transfer their being into a ship, rather than pilot it from manual controls. (Starts with Computers unlocked at Level 3, cannot use Bridge/Crew Quarters sub-systems.)
 * Due to the nature of the species, planet populations require Metal/Adv. Parts/Electronics to grow, rather than food.
Conflicts with: AI Paranoia

mecharm

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »
I like this.

The consciousness transfer reminds me of CORE from total annihilation...

darkova

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
technology: intentionally cruel
cost -2

your people have a long running mean streak resulting in the development of conventional weapons being more deadly to population and crew this lead to efficient planet sterilizers but a complete distrust of your empire by other races makes diplomacy impossible

+ weapons kill more crew and planet population
+ mind sapper subsystem will kill crew and population as well as drain control
- diplomacy is impossible to perform

Shardakar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »
technology: intentionally cruel
cost -2

your people have a long running mean streak resulting in the development of conventional weapons being more deadly to population and crew this lead to efficient planet sterilizers but a complete distrust of your empire by other races makes diplomacy impossible

+ weapons kill more crew and planet population
+ mind sapper subsystem will kill crew and population as well as drain control
- diplomacy is impossible to perform

Very interesting suggestion. But perhaps the last point needs to need edited a bit? Because without diplomacy you can't choose when to go to war. So in other words, the only time you can start a war is if and when the AI/Opponent decides to attack you. Perhaps your race should start at war with all others? Sounds more do-able.

darkova

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:34:25 PM »
oh right forgot about that

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 11:45:47 AM »
"diplomacy is impossible to perform" can become "treaties may only include declare war" and you'll achieve the same effect.
"Now it will punish you"

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:57:19 AM »
cool, I have intergrated suggestions into the first post  :) my primary goal is to make these balanced against the existing attributes (ie, none of the negatives are less negative than bad logistics/rigid/depressed and none of the plusses are superior)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:23:24 AM by Superking »
I Make the Bread

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 10:07:08 AM »
new one added
I Make the Bread

Sabin Stargem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »
Here are a couple.

-1:  Modular Design
This allows ships to be more refitted in the field, to get more resources from scrapping them, and improves the maximum field repair level, and rate of repair.  Refitting in a space dock comes easily and cheaply.  Incompatible with Seamless Construction.

+2:  Terrestrial Mindset
Your spaceship pilots and navigators still think that space combat is similar to dogfighting and naval combat on a planet.  It isn't, and your ships would behave as such by using strafing manuevers and not omni-directional tactics.  As such, your ships suffer a reduced firing rate.

-1:  Seamless Construction
All of your ships are fabricated as a molded shell.  This improves durability, reduces cost, but it severely reduces maximum field repair capability and repair speed.  Furthermore, these ships can't be refitted.  Incompatible with Modular Design

+1:  Thorough Research
Allows a race to research all technology in every category at once.  However, you will only receive these technologies when you finish a "tier" of technology.  This may take a very long time and you will have to fight enemies at low technological levels until the singularity occurs.  (Designed for SOTS-like technology trees, where races normally can't access every technology or branch.  Emulates the MOO2 creativity perk, with a flaw.)

0:  Linear Thought
Your race has the ability to research a branch very quickly, but only if the technologies inside are researched consecutively, which would grant an increasing research rate as you stick with it.  Switching to another branch will reduce or eliminate your research speed bonus.  As such, you have to follow a branch and complete it before moving on if you want to make the most of this trait.  Completing a branch will allow you to carry over a portion of your bonus to the next tree you research.

-2:  Telekinesis
Grants a combat bonus for manned vehicles and infantry, improves repair rate, and production rate.  Considered an subset of Psychic abilities for the purpose of technologies and racial traits that affect psychic abilities.  Effective against Psychic Disconnect.

-3:  Omniscience
Your race possesses some measure of being able to foretell events or to know them as they happen.  As other races explore the galaxy, you will gain their knowledge of the stars, and to be able to know their movements, though you wouldn't know what ships those movements are comprised of.  Considered a subset of Psychic abilities.  Ineffective against Psychic Disconnect, and mutually incompatible.

+1: Psychic Disconnect
Incapable of using psychic abilities, your people are also resistant to being analyzed or influenced via psychic vectors.  Eliminates the ability to possess any kind of psychic power among your race, but you will also negate the psychic abilities of other races when they are pitted against you.  Incompatible with psychic traits, and void against Telekinesis.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:29:15 PM by Sabin Stargem »

Dred_furst

• Star Ruler Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
My suggestions almost lifted directly from Space Empires V:

-5 : Temporal Knowledge:
Your race understands the fundamentals of time itself, allowing feats that other races wouldn't normally be capable of.

+Construction, extraction, movement and weapon rate 50% faster

-3 : Biological Background
Ships aren't constructed, rather grown in large farms designed for ship production.

+ all subsystems regenerate substantially over time
- ships take 25% longer to produce

Foraven

• Delusional
  • Fear the gauss weapons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
My suggestions almost lifted directly from Space Empires V:

-5 : Temporal Knowledge:
Your race understands the fundamentals of time itself, allowing feats that other races wouldn't normally be capable of.

+Construction, extraction, movement and weapon rate 50% faster

-3 : Biological Background
Ships aren't constructed, rather grown in large farms designed for ship production.

+ all subsystems regenerate substantially over time
- ships take 25% longer to produce

Don't really approve when race traits are more like magic than anything (temporal knowledge). And ships in SR are mechanical by nature, would be better if race traits was nano mastery, meaning all subsystems gets some weak self repair...
Maker of FRB mod.

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
imo traits shouldnt mix negatives and positives where possible, and shouldnt change lots of things at once
I Make the Bread

Texada

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »
An idea

Biology: Immortal
Cost: +5
This race has evolved to be biologically immortal as such the race suffers from a lack of urgency in all walks of life but Combat.
+Construction, Extraction, Research and Population growth 50% slower

Not sure if it's balance though.

Foraven

• Delusional
  • Fear the gauss weapons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
An idea

Biology: Immortal
Cost: +5
This race has evolved to be biologically immortal as such the race suffers from a lack of urgency in all walks of life but Combat.
+Construction, Extraction, Research and Population growth 50% slower

Not sure if it's balance though.

50% would probably hurt too much.
Maker of FRB mod.

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
that isnt remotely balanced
I Make the Bread

Texada

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »
that isnt remotely balanced

I did start at 25%

but I felt that was to low for a gain of 5 points

but thinking about it now it might of been better

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
imo traits shouldnt mix negatives and positives where possible, and shouldnt change lots of things at once

also +5 is extreme.. aim for +-1
I Make the Bread

Texada

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 02:39:41 AM »

I was viewing it as something alike to the Currency free economy trait

a lot of points (say now +4 like CFE) at the cost of a large disadvantage

also it changes the same amount of things as CFE as well (in the aspect that CFE stops Metals Electronics, Adv parts and Food from being stored and used in the galactic bank) 

shinseitom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 06:06:15 AM »
Why?  I like the diversified traits being brought up.  I hate going through the list of stuff and seeing all the +-1 tiny changes.  I want more +-2,3,4, and even 5's.  Things that dramatically effect the game in some way that take a lot of points to make up for.  Things that truly say "race attributes" and not just "race faction attributes".

Changing multiple things at once isn't bad, and neither is mixing stuff when it makes sense to do so.

Edit: Well, I was bored before I had to go to class, so I went ahead and implemented most of the attributes in a small mod.  The only files changed are those required to get the attributes working.

Since I don't know a lot about how many thing work in this engine, having not looked up most, a few are marked NOT WORKING.  Anyway, here you go:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:03:50 AM by shinseitom »

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 11:57:36 AM »
thanks shinseitom! you are an officer and a gentleman!  ;D

Why?  I like the diversified traits being brought up.  I hate going through the list of stuff and seeing all the +-1 tiny changes.  I want more +-2,3,4, and even 5's.  Things that dramatically effect the game in some way that take a lot of points to make up for.  Things that truly say "race attributes" and not just "race faction attributes".

well, I dislike attributes that are not viable in competetive multiplayer. there is no way you can be competetive with Currency Free economy, its just too much of a handicap. 50 minutes in your economy is hopelessly weak against an enemy with spaceports and a shipbuilding world.

likewise, 'Construction, Extraction, Research and Population growth 50% slower' is huge and extreme and in no way viable in a competetive game. to be clear, I am in favour of understated traits (ie, only affecting a single variable, and by a reasonable amount) which in turn usually only merit low costs
I Make the Bread

shinseitom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 01:04:22 PM »
thanks shinseitom! you are an officer and a gentleman!  ;D

well, I dislike attributes that are not viable in competetive multiplayer. there is no way you can be competetive with Currency Free economy, its just too much of a handicap. 50 minutes in your economy is hopelessly weak against an enemy with spaceports and a shipbuilding world.

likewise, 'Construction, Extraction, Research and Population growth 50% slower' is huge and extreme and in no way viable in a competetive game. to be clear, I am in favour of understated traits (ie, only affecting a single variable, and by a reasonable amount) which in turn usually only merit low costs
Ahhhh, I see your point.  I don't play multiplayer yet, and even if I did it wouldn't be PvP.  So you're just against them because you don't want them added into the base game?  If so, that's completely reasonable.

Also, the main roadblock I had was making research not be open at the beginning of the game.  I just didn't have time to look it up as I was hurrying to finish before class.  Plus, I didn't even get to test most of what I made.  I'm pretty sure the research +10% works, but all the others are up in the air  ;)

Edit: Alright, so "Xenophobic", "History of Pacifism", and "Early Superconductor" are the ones that definitely don't work right now.  Let me try messing around with them...
Also, the only ones I implemented are the ones in the OP.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:15:44 PM by shinseitom »

halfabandaid

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »
One thing which I found good, but broke a thing or two, was:

AI crews
+1

A new mandate has been issued requiring all ships to be manned by an AI.
Computers +1
Bridges not available
Crew Quarters not available.

Its +1 because at the moment, you have to design everything on the fly since no bridges makes it so you can't use any of the default designs.

Shardakar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »
I suppose this could be a "Big" +point that isnt too harsh in a multiplayer world.

Background: Devolution
Cost: +3
This race has begun to suffer the effects of a universally sedentary lifestyle and ready access to unhealthy food.
Health problems and related healthcare costs are soaring.
They also have access to a revolutionary new communication system known as the Intergalatic connectivity network.

As a result, productivity is decreased, demand for medical supplies is unprecedented and population devours food supplies at near unsustainable rates.

- Construction and Mining efficiency reduced by 20%
- Population consumes; 25% more General Goods, 50% more Food
- Population Growth rate reduced by 15%

+ Research rate +15%
+ Starts with level 1 in Computers

Yes this is a poke at the growing levels of obesity in first world countries and the costs it incurs.. Who's to say other space races aren't experiencing this problem? At least they got intar-netz. lol

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »
I get the feeling that people aren't reading the rest of the thread before posting..  8)
I Make the Bread

lethe5683

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »
These are some very good ideas, I have a couple suggestions/comments which are written below...

Technology: History of Renewable Energy Sources
Cost: +2
Following an intensely polluting second industrial age, this society has a long history of reliance upon renewable energy sources and now holds a strong cultural bias against the use of inefficient fossil-fuel generators.   
+ Starts with Particle Physics at Level 3
+ Solar Panels are 50% more efficient.
+ Capacitors are 50% more efficient.
- Cannot use Power Generator
- Cannot use Thruster

By "Thruster" do you mean only the basic one or the Ion thruster as well? If you mean both then IMO this would be more like a 0 point or even -1 point trait.  Also, even if it is only the basic thruster, having no increase in propulsion tech means that they would start the game with only the ramjet engine which is very slow.  They would have to get all the way to 5 engines/5 particles to get the ion drive which I think would be enough of a disadvantage that the trait should be maybe a +1.

Technology: Light Designs
The Military Doctrine of this culture rigidly favors cheaper and more spacious light hulls over the expensive alternatives.
+ Starts with Light Hull Unlocked.
- Cannot use the Standard hull
- Cannot use the Heavy hull

I would think that this should either not have the "cannot use the standard hull" penalty or be a free trait.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:44:37 PM by lethe5683 »

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
fyi, +2 means you gain two points by taking it- which can then be spent on good attributes- as it works ingame.

accordingly, the inability to use thrusters is giving you points rather than costing them. Ion thrusters can still be used, yes, so the disadvantage early game becomes an advantage once you have ion thrusters unlocked.

contrary to what you might expect from 16.0 space, the light hull is REALLY not well suited to military designs unless a considerable portion of that space is then invested in self repair and shields. it is most certainly a disadvantage, albeit one that could be worked around by focusing on shields and armour: accordingly it gives one point.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:14:14 PM by Superking »
I Make the Bread

echo66

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
The "Light Designs" attribute should decrease the resources needed to build the vessels, at least.