Author Topic: Modder Resources  (Read 11726 times)

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Modder Resources
« on: August 21, 2010, 07:55:20 PM »
This topic to contain various useful bits of art and code that may help Modders produce modifications to the game.

Blank Subsystem Art: http://starruler.blind-mind.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Subsystem_Template.png

EDIT: Opened up thread as I haven't been updating this as much as it could be.  Modders feel free to post snippets for other modders. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:31:21 PM by Firgof »
"Now it will punish you"

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: Modder Resources
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »
Posting to demonstrate thread is open.
"Now it will punish you"

ouch

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »
These are all the star ruler highlighters designed for use with notepad++. Thy posted these quite awhile back. Thier probably outdated now days but here they are...

I don't use notepad++ myself, but I intended to use this as a template for Context, or Code::Blocks Highlighters but I never got around to it...
My Mods:
Auto Resource Transfering Subsystems (Fuel, Power, Ammo):
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=1427.0
Advanced spiral universe generation:
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=1536.0
Currently working on: Adv Spiral Universe Map

darth necron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »
@Firgof what software do the dev team use for modeling and textures for the ship sets as i would like to get a hold of the programme since there is nothing better than using the same exact software for making new ships and textures if your unsure could you find out for me please for me money is no object to buy the programme from the software dev
cheers
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:45:11 AM by darth necron »
Your Destiny Lies With Me

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:56:39 AM »
I believer eRe4s3r uses Cinema 4D and 3DS Max for modeling and Photoshop for texturing.
"Now it will punish you"

eRe4s3r

• Contributor
  • Distracted
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:26:10 AM »
Indeed - i model/unwrap in c4d and export as fbx file load it up with 3dsmax 7 and use a script (stock obj exporters ALL suck)

http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html for importing/exporting the obj models (preset is Lightwave*).

As for texturing, photoshop and gimp (gimp to create the games "custom" png's with specular in alpha channel.

Buying c4d just for low poly ships would however be way overkill ;)

Just as extra, the textures are actually quite complex to make ;) I use a mix of my own (surface) renderings made with c4d and freestyle drawing in photoshop, lots of editing, merging, mirroring cloning and such...  This means my textures are maybe not the way "professional" artists would do them, but i like them and they are done quickly (once you have enough "source" surfaces rendered ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:29:47 AM by eRe4s3r »
.- Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom -.

darth necron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 07:56:20 AM »
ok thanks guys much apprechiated :)  all software now bought and dl'ing
Your Destiny Lies With Me

eRe4s3r

• Contributor
  • Distracted
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
Just linking to another relevant post about this

http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=2159.msg15306#msg15306

As for my method, its really not something you ought to clone (not to mention that c4d costs like 1000$ as its not just a modeling application but a 3D-Suite so theres not only a learning slope but a learning hole of doom that ends in a pit full of lava ... ;p) I am a freelancer so c4d allows me the greatest range of things i can do so yeah.
.- Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom -.

Rosseau

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »
I bought SR the first day it was released, and look at it now! Great work to the developers and modders on this forum.

So many great mods listed, but I'm not sure which ones still make sense to use with the latest patch. It would be great to know which mods have become "moot." Auto-refueling is one example.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts and God bless you.

Foraven

• Delusional
  • Fear the gauss weapons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »
I bought SR the first day it was released, and look at it now! Great work to the developers and modders on this forum.

So many great mods listed, but I'm not sure which ones still make sense to use with the latest patch. It would be great to know which mods have become "moot." Auto-refueling is one example.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts and God bless you.

Well, check what version it was made for; most mini-mods that added features or fixed issues are moot now since what they did has been integrated into the game by now. As for the full fledged mods, mine (FRB) and Galactic Armory are both up to date, EU will be soon updated (Steiner mod is Huge, that take some time).
Maker of FRB mod.

Rosseau

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
Cool! That's what I was wondering. I will get into the full fledged mods once I wrap my arms around the vanilla game. Thanks again.

Skumleren

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 06:18:49 AM »
These are all the star ruler highlighters designed for use with notepad++. Thy posted these quite awhile back. Thier probably outdated now days but here they are...

I don't use notepad++ myself, but I intended to use this as a template for Context, or Code::Blocks Highlighters but I never got around to it...

While notepad++ is a good tool, i prefer SciTE. Its free and they are fairly similar. Making AngelScript highlighters is also easy, and finished examples can be found on that there interweb

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »
Thanks to Lucas api output was updated for 1090, useful for any methods and properties relating to classes.

http://data.glacicle.org/starruler/api/

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:32:25 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Ragnarok

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 07:08:50 AM »
How again you enable the game to output log files so you can see what is causing crashes ?

tsujiban

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »

ouch, what do you use instead of notepad++?  I downloaded it the other day and it runs, but it generates some irritating memory access error popup... i can't remember if i got my copy off download.com or sourceforge but apparently it's messed up and I need a good file editor that doesn't do that Byte Order Marking or whatever it is that (i believe) regular MS notepad does... or am i thinking of wordpad?  in any case, what plain file editor do you recommend?

i also have HxD hex editor, but that's not really suitable for this.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
Gedit (Which is where the idea for Notepad++ game from, but gedit is available on windows as well as linux now), ConTEXT or Code::Blocks (This is more of a full C++ IDE than a text editor based around coding) are alternatives to notepad++.

But you shouldn't be getting memory access errors from notepad. Try getting it direct.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v5.9.4.html

Or here are the links for the alternatives.

http://projects.gnome.org/gedit/
http://www.codeblocks.org/
http://www.contexteditor.org/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:44:56 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

ouch

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 11:59:26 PM »
all my mods were done in Context
My Mods:
Auto Resource Transfering Subsystems (Fuel, Power, Ammo):
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=1427.0
Advanced spiral universe generation:
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=1536.0
Currently working on: Adv Spiral Universe Map

Klawz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »
Hope this is in the right spot.

Does SR support tga.png files?

I ask this for 'ship sets', I'm using wings3d with gimp and when I export it the textures;materials export as {name}.tga.png. Some only export as {name}.tga. Obviously some of my textures are not png files, but I was just curious if SR would recognize them. Or Iam I wasting my time with the wings3d program?

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
I'm sure the ".tga.png" could be just renamed to ".png".

Sounds like the program doesn't replace the file extension in some cases, it just appends a ".xxx" to the file. :P
"Now it will punish you"

Klawz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »
Thank You. I'm going to try putting one of my ships in to see if this works soon.(I hope)

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »
Good luck!
"Now it will punish you"

Klawz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 06:26:01 PM »
Got a problem. The icon for my shipset shows up in the main screen(yay!). But when I build the ship it appears as the cone thingy. I dont have my model file that classifies ships completly done (only colony, probe, and fighter). Nor are impact, and firing points, but I believe everything else is correct. I used the stock files as blueprints to follow. Would the fact that I'm using wings3d be an issue? I've exported the models in both obj, and 3ds formats. Or should I try in the developer mode? Or scratch the last month and learn blender? Self teaching is so frustrating! (LOL)

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
Devmode will let you see if the models are actually there and loading.  If they are, it's the shipset definition referencing models that don't exist (probably a bad filename or misspelling)
"Now it will punish you"

Klawz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »
Thanks. I'll try it.
Models are not showing up in the model configurer. Should I export directly into the model folder in SR? Or can I just copy paste?

edit: Tried both of those neither worked. Do I need to have the text document that defines the ships (where and what they are) loaded in SR along with the models themselves? Would that be why it's not seeing them?

Also I'm using notepad to wright my txt files. Good or not good?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:20:05 AM by Klawz »

Klawz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 03:13:58 PM »
Delete my last post! Got the models to show up in the model configurer! Thanks for your help Firgof! I did'nt follow the models.txt file exactly right, I think I should just stick to laying floors instead of modeling ;D but damn it's so much fun! And kind of rewarding when they showed up in-game! Thank you again.