Author Topic: Rule of the Stars  (Read 2631 times)

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Rule of the Stars
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
EDIT: Came up with a tentative name.

Also known as 'What Happens When I Participate In a Mod That Expands/Changes Canon'. :P

Basically, I'm going to take what few clues the game provides (most notably, the lore snippets from the race selection screen), the one piece of Firgof's 'story bible' I remember (Remnants being AI), and ABEM's lore (which is itself an extrapolation from known SR2 canon, with the occasional modification like changing 'Terrakin' into 'Terran') and write around that.

I'm thinking of introducing all the SR2 races, doing some stories around them, then bringing in the ABEM races later on. With that in mind, here's the first part of the Terran intro, which also contains a reference to what time it is in the 'present' (I apologize for the scrolling needed to get past the wall of text - this forum doesn't seem to have [SPOILER] tags like the ones in the SWTOR or SWGEmu forums):

Missed Mercy

Context/Synopsis

A colony ship from Earth concludes its journey, thousands of years after it was supposed to reach its destination...

*** New Hope Historical Database, 703 years after planetfall ***

When the Mission of Mercy left the Sol system in 2437, it left little of value behind.

Civil unrest, catastrophic ecological damage, and growing disputes over what few resources humanity had were bringing closer an end to our existence in the universe.

Those were dire times. Realizing that their home system was no longer large enough to support the human race - or, perhaps, that their time was an end - the last of the Terran governments came up with a daring plan, triggered by the fresh discovery of a habitable planet within one of the nearby systems:

They would construct a series of ships, and send millions of colonists to this planet - 'New Hope', as they called it - to rebuild, and never again repeat the terrible mistakes of their past. 'Mission of Mercy' was given its name partly because it was among the last ships to leave, carrying supplies that could greatly benefit the colony that would have been established a handful of years prior to its arrival.

What happened to the other ships is unknown, but the Mission never arrived at its destination.

*** The area that would become known as the Gatt system, March 21st, 31330 ***

The AI aboard the Mission of Mercy detected that it was approaching its destination.

Analyzing planets...

Planet #1: Extreme concentration of various materials used in manufacturing of electronic components. Gravity estimated at 0.61 Earth gravity. High ambient temperature and radiation. Probability of suitable colony site: 0 percent.

The ship had stumbled upon an unstable wormhole more than 25 thousand years ago, and had been searching for an alternative colony site ever since. Worse still, one of the systems it had been analyzing turned out to be a binary system containing a neutron star - late detection had meant that most of the ship's database had been wiped out before it got to a safe distance.

Planet #2: High quantities of nutrients and water, more than enough to support a massive colony. Gravity estimated at 0.93 Earth gravity. Atmospheric analysis inconclusive, a more detailed analysis is required. Probability of suitable colony site: 68.4 percent.

The AI noted the second planet for further consideration.

Planet #3: High quantities of nutrients. Low quantities of human-usable water. Gravity estimated at 1.17 Earth gravity. Probability of suitable colony site: 21.79 percent.

The biggest problem concerning the AI right now was the amount of fuel it had left. Although it had managed to significantly increase the lifetime of its fuel reserve, time was running out - this was the last system it would be able to analyze.

Planet #4: High quantity of usable water. Gravity estimated at 1.09 Earth gravity. High ambient radiation, low nutrient level. Probability of suitable colony site: 9.53 percent.

68.4 percent. Not good enough for safe colonization under these circumstances. Still, it is better than 0 percent...

The ship adjusted its course to take it towards the second planet in the system.

*** Days later, near Gatt II ***

The ship continued its approach, rapidly decelerating to a more appropriate velocity. Running diagnostic on landing-relevant systems...

LANDING GEAR...

100% OPERATIONAL

CRYOSTASIS CONTROL CIRCUITRY...

100% OPERATIONAL

STASIS UNITS 1-14...

100% OPERATIONAL

HIGH-FOCUS SCANNERS...

82% OPERATIONAL

82 percent? The AI queried the system for a more detailed analysis. Without those sensors, it might not be able to accurately determine a suitable landing site, much less complete its scans of the atmosphere.

SENSOR RESOLUTION DOWN TO 43 PERCENT. MAINTENANCE OVERDUE BY 28702 YEARS, 8 MONTHS, 2 WEEKS, 3 DAYS, 15 HOURS, 26 MINUTES, 12 SECONDS--

Even the AI didn't need that much detail right now. It will have to do... it thought, and continued the diagnostic.

AIRLOCKS...

100% OPERATIONAL

INTERCOM...

100% OPERATIONAL

MANEUVERING THRUSTERS...

7% OPERATIONAL; FUEL LINES DAMAGED, MINIMAL FUEL RESERVES ACCESSIBLE TO THRUSTERS

DIAGNOSTIC COMPLETE

The maneuvering thrusters were critical to surviving atmospheric entry and landing in one piece. This is a problem. The AI started computing probabilities and making contingency plans.

There is a 4.72 percent chance of a successful landing under the circumstances. Of this, the probability of landing in a suitable region is 0.14 percent, with a 2.39 percent probability of not landing on water. The remaining 2.19 percent accounts for landing in a less suitable environment.

How do I improve upon that...

Venting atmosphere. If I time it correctly, I can adjust my trajectory to decrease the entry angle - then the thrusters would only be needed for the final maneuvers once the ship was in the atmosphere. I calculate a 38.7 percent probability of success with that plan. The stasis pods would still have enough air inside to sustain the colonists until additional air from the planet could be used to repressurize the ship.

If it was safe. Otherwise, the chance of death for all colonists is 100 percent.

If only I could confirm that...

Nonetheless, this is the safest course of action.
A fraction of a second after the diagnostic cycle completed, doors and airlocks throughout the ship were sealed or opened depending on their location and the amount of air inside them.

The Mission of Mercy had begun its descent.

*** Shortly afterwards ***

"Revival of Captain Joseph Calder complete," the AI noted. "Welcome back, Captain. Revival of your senior staff and all other essential personnel is underway. You may experience momentary disorientation as a result of your time in stasis. Please inform me if your symptoms persist, so that it can be brought to the attention of the appropriate medical staff."

Captain Calder sat up in his pod. The AI was right - he felt somewhat disoriented and groggy after the long time he'd spent in stasis, but there wasn't much he could do about that right now. "What time is it?"

"According to my calculations, there are four hours left before sunset. Would you like me to brief you on the current status of the ship?"

"Yeah, go ahead," Calder answered, slowly getting out of the pod.

"Damage to the maneuvering thrusters has had a significant impact on the quality of the landing. Primary engines are offline and I have lost contact with several sections of the ship. The whereabouts of the other colony ships are unknown. There is an abundance of natural resources in the surrounding area; establishing a colony, while time-consuming, should not be too difficult."

"Wait, back up a bit. The other ships aren't here?"

"Affirmative. I am currently unable to retrieve data as to why this is the case; several data modules are currently inaccessible due to damage from the crash. Others have been damaged directly, and there are some gaps in my memory that I cannot explain at this time."

"Great."

*** A few days later ***

Calder entered his ready room. Originally, the colony ships were meant to be reused for orbital and intra-system travel. Evidently, that wasn't going to happen. The captain sat in his chair and started typing.

Captain's Log, April 09 - 31330(?)

The AI wasn't kidding. There's nobody else on this planet, and instead of being welcomed by the colonists that were sent before us... Nothing. Right now we have to establish some kind of base, just to jumpstart the colony. Wake up the rest of the ship once we're in a position to try to feed everybody.

I'm worried, though. We couldn't revive some of the crew, which means at least some of the pods are damaged. They seem to be working well enough, though, so that's weird.

Maybe we can get to the bottom of this once we're set up. Figure out what happened to the forty-eight million people who went before us.

Captain's Log, July 02 - 31330(?)

Well, the colony's set up now. Haven't had much time to write lately. The Ship's AI gave itself a name: Mercy. Not even a hint of creativity.

I gutted the nav. computer last night. Checked the logs while I was knee-deep in cable and fried circuitry. We passed close by a Neutron star a hundred years ago (I think) and it did wonders to the datadrives. Brass tacks: I have no idea where we are now.

Checked Astrometrics1, though, and I do know that the Milky Way isn't anywhere up there. I asked Mercy and she said we got here due to an 'unexpected sensor anomaly'. I suspect we might've tripped over a wormhole or two. Thought those things were supposed to just be theoretical. Anyway, we missed our target destination. This is not New Hope.

Captain's Log, July 17 - 31330(?)

Took another look at those pods. Looks like they were damaged. Sure, they'll work - just not in a vacuum. Mercy thinks that's what went wrong. When she vented the atmosphere during the landing... all the damaged pods were depressurized, too.

We're going to start waking up the others in a couple of days. I just hope this was an exception, not the rule...

Captain's Log, August 04 - 31330(?)

We woke up the rest of the folks in the pods. Or tried to. We had twelve million souls aboard. Now we're 14,000. I asked Mercy to handle the funeral arrangements for the ones we still had data on. As for the rest... we'll just keep them in pods, I guess. Who knows - maybe at some point we'll be able to revive some of them.

Ship's reactor is good for another three thousand years, give or take, if we can locate some more fuel.

Captain's Log, August 05 - 31130(?)

Mercy told me I should find someone else to lead the colony in case I kick the bucket. Redundancy.
Just like a machine to worry about redundancy when people are staring at the corpses of their dead loved ones.
I told her to do it herself.

Captain's Log, September 02 - 31330(?)

Well, it's been almost five months now. I guess if this place hasn't killed us yet, it probably won't kill us at all. That's just about the only positive highlight of the past two months, though. Mercy finding a candidate for her 'redundancy' project doesn't quite cut it.

We've managed to rig up a VR system using one of the empty stasis pods we had left over. Mercy's already booked it for training purposes. I wonder what kind of training program she has in mind...

Captain's Log, September 12 - 31330(?)2

Lots of mourning. Lots of depression. Mercy's 'concerned'. Didn't know AIs could get concerned. Now I'm concerned.

With the engines shot and the ship gutted for parts the Colony needed the 'Mission of Mercy' isn't going anywhere. Looks like this is home now.
At least they kept my ready room mostly intact. Can't stand the smell down there. Note to self: Sewers, pronto.

Captain's Log, April 06 - 31331(?)

If I didn't look at the date last night, I'd never think it's been a year already. Unbelievable.
We're getting settled in now, and some folks want to go away from the colony, spread out a bit.
To be honest, I'm not sure what to say to that. A population density this high isn't good for feeding people with our infrastructure, especially if it's going to get denser, but spreading out opens its own can of worms.

Think I'll sleep on it. Or maybe I should ask Mercy for her opinion - she's probably going to have some unique insights based on 'statistical data' or something like that. Something to help lead the last fragment of humanity we know of.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to the other ships. If they made it, or wound up floating in space like the rest of us.
For all I know, they might have reached New Hope, made a colony and gone extinct by the time we got here.

Whatever happened, we can't afford the luxury of thinking there's anyone else alive anymore. This is New Hope now, if not for humanity as a whole, then at least it is for us.

*** November 1st, 31331 ***

Everyone was asleep.

At least, everyone human. As usual, Mercy watched over the colony, using the ship's sensors to look out into the wilderness - and into space, analyzing every bit of data that could be of use to the colonists.

Right now, the only thing of interest was a storm front forming to the southeast. She focused her attention on the storm, calculating how long it would be before it hit the outlying settlements, when the AI was distracted by something else.

A signal from outside the system. What is this?

A few seconds passed as Mercy ran a detailed analysis of the signal.

Signal analysis complete. Probability of artificial origin: 87.47 percent.

Content analysis in progress...

Suddenly, Mercy was no longer alone.

Captain's Log, November 4 - 1

I've set the year clock to 1. Might as well - the atomic clock's gone now. Only year that matters anyway is how long we've been stuck here.
I think Mercy was crying last night. I can't even begin to understand how that works. Can AIs mourn?
She told me everyone was suffering - that it was my fault. I shut her down - I don't know if she was a self-evolving rogue AI or some weird glitchy abomination but I don't intend to find out.

I hear my 'replacement' is near finished with the training in the sim-pod. I've checked his data - I'm not impressed.
We're deep in the unknown now. Back on Terra Firma, I looked up at the sky and saw just endless possibilities.
Here on New Hope I look up and all I can feel is this creeping terror. Something is up there - and we're not prepared to meet 'em.

I hope to God that 'newbie's luck' applies to whatever it is we're heading for - something tells me the kid's going to need it.

NOTES:

1 - Astrology has no relation to the rest of that log, so I changed it to something more appropriate.

2 - It seemed a bit odd that there was still a lot of mourning and depression thirteen months after everyone was said to be dead. Also, a few other things in that log seemed more appropriate within the first year than the second, so 31330 it is.

Overall: I'm not quite fond of how I skipped through the actual crash-landing of the Mission, but I'd probably have done it all wrong. Between that and figuring out what name to use for Calder (my first several surnames wound up being far too easily located on Google, and while 'Calder' isn't all that obscure either, it's a step in the right direction), I spent days without touching this. :(

EDIT: Tweaked a date - 3 days seemed like an awfully short time for the Mission to reach Gatt II and land...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:06:18 AM by dalolorn »

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Rule of the Stars
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:36:26 AM »
Here's the conclusion to the Terran prologue, and a quick disclaimer I wanted to add but forgot about yesterday:

New Horizons

Context/Synopsis

The humans of New Hope prepare to break the lightspeed barrier for the first time in their history...

*** New Hope Historical Database, 703 years after planetfall ***

Captain Calder was not the last person to have a bad feeling about the galaxy we had found ourselves in. However, as the years went by, their fears would not be justified, as the skies above remained empty.

The colony continued to grow, eventually reaching a stage of technological development where they could revive some of the people aboard the Mission of Mercy, and even managing to go out into space. Within less than five hundred years, New Hope had reconstructed every technological breakthrough Earth had ever seen, and was poised to surpass them.

As fate would have it, one of the asteroids in Gatt's asteroid belt would hold the key to the greatest of these new advances...

*** Gatt asteroid belt, February 8th, 659 AP, 13:21 standard time ***

The mining ship 'Prospect' decelerated to match the speed of the asteroid they were surveying.

"What've we got?" the captain asked. The Prospect had been roaming the asteroid belt for months now, looking for something useful to bring back to New Hope.

"I'm... not sure," the ship's science officer answered. "There's some kind of crystalline formation on the southern1 side of the asteroid, but I can't quite... Walters, I need a two-second laser burst, medium power, high focus, and right around the edges of the cluster."

One of the Prospect's mining lasers powered up, rotating its turret towards the target coordinates. "Laser ready," Walters, the Prospect's chief engineering/mining officer said. "On your mark."

"Now." The laser discharged, melting away some of the dust and rock around the opaque, pinkish crystals--

Suddenly, space itself seemed to warp around the asteroid, until - for a fraction of a second - it disappeared, reappearing several light minutes away from its previous location. "What the hell...?"

"I'm getting tons of data - this-- this is incredible!" the science officer exclaimed. "It looks like something in those crystals reacted to the laser beam, the asteroid literally vanished from our sensors for a moment there. It gets better - if these readings are correct, it traveled several light minutes within less than a second. The implications of this... they're enormous!"

"Is it a wormhole?"

"No, it doesn't look like it. Sir, we need to take this asteroid back to New Hope. All of it. If it reacts like this to mining lasers, we'll need to use a drill, and we don't have that sort of equipment aboard."

"Us and what army?" Walters asked. "We can't take the whole asteroid with us, Barnes, you know that better than anyone!"

"We might not have to," the captain commented. "Helm, take us back to the asteroid. Walters, Barnes, figure out a way to take a few fragments of the crystals without sending the whole thing into FTL again. Get out in spacesuits and cut it off with spoons if you have to - we're not leaving without those samples."

Eventually, the Prospect's crew gathered enough fragments of what we now call 'FTL crystals'. It took years, but our scientists discovered how to safely store the hyperfield particles captured by the crystals and harness them, constructing a prototype of the hyperdrive we now routinely use.

The day the first hyperspace jump was made would change the fate of humanity forever...

Quote from: First log entry, T.P.S. Intrepid
*tap tap* Is this thing on? Okay, looks like it is. Right then...

Captain's log, T.P.S. Intrepid, January 2nd, 695 AP, Thomas Wildman commanding. Heh. Didn't see that coming.

Then again, nobody saw all of this coming, either. Still trying to wrap my head around what we're about to do. The techs down on the surface say this 'hyperdrive' of theirs uses hyperfield particles to create some sort of 'bubble' around the ship, throwing us into hyperspace or something. I'm still not sure I understand any of it, but if it works, maybe I'll get a chance to figure it out.

If it doesn't... then I just hope we're still alive to get back home. Guess this is gonna be one for the history books, in any case...

Captain's log, supplemental.

We did it.

Within a matter of minutes, we'd made it all the way from New Hope through the system's heliopause. Incredible.

The bigwigs on the surface are already debating what to do with the technology, like it wasn't obvious already. Odds are we'll have a small fleet by the end of the decade.

Me, I'm worried. If we can go faster than light, and if there is other intelligent life out there... we could be in a lot of trouble, real fast. What was it Captain Calder said in his logs... 'Something's out there, and we're not prepared to meet 'em'? I get the feeling we're going to find out soon enough...

Within the following weeks, the government decided to build a fleet of ships dedicated to the exploration of nearby star systems and protection of humanity against any threat that may lie in wait. This was the birth of the Terran Defense Force.

NOTES:

1 - 'Southern' in this case being fairly relative, of course. :P

Overall: Bit of a short one. I feel as if though I should have rolled it into 'Missed Mercy'...

DISCLAIMER: These stories are written without knowledge of the contents of the 'story bible' used by Blind Mind Studios. The likelihood that they will not conflict with any official lore published in any form by the developers later (if any) is astronomically low. It is also possible that they will diverge from the ABEM canon as well, though I have some doubts about that. (For now, ABEM canon is written around its gameplay mechanics, and there's currently no part of it that I haven't written or at least edited, so...)

Any similarities between this and official SR2 canon revealed after this date (again, if any :P) are purely coincidental. Similarities between this and known ABEM canon are less coincidental. :P

Edit: DISCLAIMER #2: My constant overuse of the ":P" smiley is purely coincidental. :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:16:07 PM by dalolorn »

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 06:03:47 AM »
What, still no comments by anyone? Come on, guys, if I'm doing something wrong I'm going to need some help fixing it! (And if I'm doing something right, well... the praise helps too. :D)

Anyway, here's the origin story for the Oko:

Branching

Context/Synopsis

When the Oko homeworld of Okus faces an imminent ecological catastrophe, the verdant species must find a way to adapt...

*** Okus, 4719 years before planetfall ***

Over the past centuries, the Oko had grown to encompass their entire homeworld. Now, there was not a single place on the planet where no Oko of any kind existed.

This, in and of itself, would probably never have been a problem, if the planet had enough nutrients to support them. It did not.

Sensing the unsustainability of its children's growth, the 'Mother Stalk', the organism from which all the Oko were descended, considered its options. It didn't want to impose limits that weren't there before - moreover, those limits wouldn't solve the current situation on their own - but the other alternatives were no better.

Doubt permeated the roots and branches of the massive plant, involuntarily being passed on to its children, which echoed its thoughts as they pondered them. The obvious outcome was division. For the first time in their history, the Oko as a society began to fracture, with radically differing ideas of what was necessary to save them, and do the unprecedented - fight and even kill each other for the resources they needed. The stalk struggled to concentrate its immense neural power on the tasks of averting their extinction and maintaining the arduous peace between the factions.

Suddenly, it happened. As one of its tendrils, failing to keep its focus, absorbed and analyzed the rays of light and radiation coming at it, it saw a way out. The surge of inspiration raced through the Mother Stalk's nerves, coalescing into a plan as it was transmitted to all the Oko it touched, and echoed once more through their roots into the planet-wide network. Before the message returned from the other side of Okus, the plan was complete, and its execution could begin immediately.

Near the stalk, a large cluster comprising millions of Oko began dissolving at the cellular level. Branches, moss, leaves and roots, all was broken down into raw materials. The ones around them started collecting minerals, taking in and processing gases and fluids they had never needed before, just to feed their Mother's new project.

Over the following months, the materials collected were gradually transformed into a huge vessel, carefully molded by the Mother Stalk. When it was finally satisfied with the result, the stalk detached a small tendril from its outer edges and deposited it deep inside the craft, where it melded with its internal structure, permeating the sinewy substance that transported its nutrients and held the softer components together. Next, a seed from each of the Oko that had helped construct it was placed in one of several pods within the bioship's hull.

With the final touch - a small, pink crystalline fragment buried in the heart of the ship - the first Sporeling was complete, united with the Mother Stalk as if it were touching it, a symbol of the unity that the Oko had almost lost.

The unity that they would strive to maintain for the rest of their existence.

NOTES:

Well, this seems to be even shorter than New Horizons. Hard to write, but I liked thinking about how Oko ships and colonies are created. :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:53:28 AM by dalolorn »

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
Re: Currently-Untitled SR2 Fanfic
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »
What, still no comments by anyone? Come on, guys, if I'm doing something wrong I'm going to need some help fixing it! (And if I'm doing something right, well... the praise helps too. :D)

Sorry for being so quiet. Didn't want to spam this thread with my nonsense ;D

Anyway, I really like what you've done so far. Pretty damn awesome, especially how you managed to give the Terrakin backstory even more sense of scale in terms of time and space. Will definitely keep on reading this! :D

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:05:24 PM »
Sorry for being so quiet. Didn't want to spam this thread with my nonsense ;D

Anyway, I really like what you've done so far. Pretty damn awesome, especially how you managed to give the Terrakin backstory even more sense of scale in terms of time and space. Will definitely keep on reading this! :D

Heh, didn't quite expect that level of praise. Thanks! :D

I'm probably going to handle my first (if you'll pardon the pun :P) first contact scenario next, or maybe introduce one of the other races. Not really sure what order to introduce them in, but Hoonan are definitely next. SPOILER (sort of, more of a hint leading to a spoiler):
Code: [Select]
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           I may or may not have hinted at the heart of their origin story already... ;)

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
First of all, I'd like to apologize for the delay since my last post. Also, for the fact that this one doesn't contain a story. :P

I've run into more than a few problems trying to figure out the next story, and it hasn't helped at all that school has limited my free time, while my VirtualBox-assisted rediscovery of old games like Liberation Day and Battle Isle 3 merrily gobbled up most of the rest. That being said, I haven't given up on this yet. (Or at least that's what I keep telling myself? :-[)

Anyway, in the meantime, here's a look into Terran shipbuilding! ;D

EDIT: It occurred to me while I was reworking default designs that I'd changed the sensor balance a bit. So, I'm replacing the screenshots with updated versions, full of errors due to my not being in the sandbox at the time. The originals can still be seen on my Steam profile; the changes mostly include displaying the new sensor values and reworking the internal components of the MCC-7 to make it a worse scout than the Intrepid.

Also, because the new screenshots don't show my original hull choices, and I was pretty satisfied with that selection:

MCC series: Fortune-class Freighter (TEC)
Intrepid: Cobalt-class Light Frigate (TEC)

Re-edit: Fixed a typo in the MCC-7 description, tweaked Intrepid description.

The seventh installment of the Modular Civilian Cruiser series, the MCC-7 is built by Nova Fleetworks, a wholly owned subsidiary of corporate behemoth Nova Industries. Praised for their highly adaptable design, MCC-series ships consist of a considerable quantity of modules attached to slots on a specially built hull, with changes to the underlying spaceframe only occurring when a new slot type has to be designed, or the hull's architecture itself is being redesigned.

Following the advent of space piracy spurred on by the invention and subsequent proliferation of hyperdrives, the MCC-7 was the first ship in the series to incorporate several slots for Nova's latest weapon modules. While fairly poorly armed and by no means a military vessel, the ship's standard layout is still capable of holding off most raiders long enough to escape into hyperspace or be rescued by TDF units.

Typically fitted with sensor arrays dotted throughout the ship's exterior, the MCC series usually houses its main sensor node in the rear of the ship. This has been criticized by some as 'foolhardy' as it gives pirates yet another reason to close in on the ship's rear, taking out the engines and sensors in one strike while easily avoiding its most powerful weapon mounts. Nova Fleetworks has yet to offer any official commentary on the matter, but some suspect this is intended to allow the ship to engage hostiles head-on without being immediately blinded by the loss of their sensors.

One of the most notable MCC-series vessels in Terran history is the MCC-5 'Prospect' - a mining vessel, one of the most common uses for this sort of ship.

Ever since the Prospect discovered FTL crystals on an asteroid in the Gatt system, Nova has opted to honor its accomplishment by committing itself to improving upon the MCC-5's spaceframe - which was already a mere modification of the MCC-4 chassis - without outright replacing it, which has resulted in the MCC-7 being nothing more than a slightly larger, heavily upgraded MCC-5; the fourth ship to use the same basic architecture.

The first command of Terran captain Thomas Wildman - known for leading the first group to break the lightspeed barrier - the Intrepid's prototype hyperdrive (Hyperdrive, Control Computers and Fission Reactors) is slow and bulky by today's standards.

Featuring powerful internal and external sensors, Intrepid was supposed to transmit as much data back to New Hope as possible regardless of the success of its mission, and built with several redundant control mechanisms as well as failsafes to ensure the survival of the crew if the hyperdrive failed, including powerful sublight engines, significant resources dedicated to maintenance and emergency repairs, and, if all else failed, an excessive several years' worth of supplies with which to wait for rescue.

Fairly quickly retired after Captain Wildman's own decision to leave the TDF, Intrepid-class ships are now considered nothing more than museum pieces; couriers at the very most. However, there have been rumors among TDF officials about resurrecting the class for reconnaissance and exploratory purposes; some unofficial sources claim to have seen the original Intrepid undergoing an extensive retrofit in one of the shipyards above Gatt IV, though - like the related rumors - these claims have remained unsubstantiated so far.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:35:16 AM by dalolorn »