Author Topic: Reloading the Galactic Armory?  (Read 819 times)

Talverin

• View Profile
Reloading the Galactic Armory?
« on: June 20, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
Is there any chance we'll be seeing more 'expansive' content like the Galactic Armory added? At the moment, despite 'full release' status, the game seems to lack a certain variety that I had become quite accustomed to in the Galactic Armory. I can understand how having such a wide array of subsystems and the like would not work with the current research system - You'd either be making dozens of new tech trees, or you'd have to divide them into 'subgroups' pertaining to different things, instead of the... Mostly random spread that I've seen. 'Spheres of influence' kind of thing. Make unlocking certain modules require X techs researched in field Y, and Z number from field W. The best idea I've seen thus far was the mod (Weaponsmith Plus) which added 'subsystems' that allow you to modify different weapon characteristics, so you can make one gun into any of several others.

So, my question for the developers, specifically: Is the limited number of total modules an intentional design factor? Or is there intent to introduce more weapon types and capabilities?

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Reloading the Galactic Armory?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 04:25:24 AM »
Well, I get the impression Alar's plans for the Alternate Balance Expansion Mod were for it to be a spiritual successor to GA. Not sure if that counts. :P

That being said, if you wanted to ask the devs, maybe it would have been more appropriate in Star Ruler 2 Discussion rather than Modding? (Not that they won't see it here, of course.)

Talverin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:07:15 AM »
Ehh, fair enough on the dev comment. Honestly, it was more of an appended question than part of the thing itself, and I didn't want to throw up a thread for a one-line question.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
The lack of weapon types is not entirely intentional, but comes mostly from the fact that we want each different subsystem to have unique mechanics. We don't just want to make variants that behave identically with slightly different stats, as most of the added subsystems in the GA mod were.

We will be trying to come up with new unique things to add for future SR2 content, but as you can imagine coming up with new mechanics takes a lot of effort.

Talverin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:28:18 PM »
Fair enough. I do appreciate the answer. I think a direction like the Weaponsmith mod, the more that I use it, seems like the 'better' option. Rather than tons of different module types, adding more modifications. That seems to work out very well as far as varying module types and abilities. As I play more of the game, I begin to see more of how the game is geared to be.