Author Topic: Confused about planet resource chains  (Read 1186 times)

tylertoo

• View Profile
Confused about planet resource chains
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
I need help.  This planet resource chain thing confuses me.  Can someone tell me how to fix this mess?

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about planet resource chains
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:58:04 AM »
From what I can tell, your homeworld (top node of the right tree) is just fine. It doesn't need to import that water asteroid, though - and it could do with a level 2 resource or two.

Your Hydroconductor planet is more complicated, though. First, you're one food short of having enough food for level 3. (Unless you have a Megafarm.)

Furthermore, you need another level 1 resource. The Neutronium planet that acts as the Hydroconductor's level 2 resource is importing two level 1 resources - one of those should be exported to the Hydroconductor itself.

However, neither of those two level 1 resources are set up correctly. The Explosives planet has enough food to export its resource, but has two waters when it only needs one. The Plastics planet, on the other hand, doesn't have any food, so it's useless.

Recommendations: To make your Hydroconductors work, colonize two more food planets or build one Megafarm on the Hydroconductor planet, and one Megafarm on the Plastics planet. (Colonies are preferred, though a Cultivation card would be just as nice.) Then export the Plastics to the Hydroconductor planet.

To deal with the excess water, either abandon both of the water planets currently feeding your Explosives planet and route the water from your homeworld's water asteroid to the Explosives planet, or colonize two more foods (in addition to the ones I mentioned above) and two more level 1 resources, routing excess water from your homeworld and the Explosives planet.

tylertoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
Thank you for that analysis of my mess  ;D.  Its exactly what I was looking for.  I need now to sit down and study your notes with the game and try to understand all this better.  I feel like once I get used to it, it won't be too difficult.

tylertoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »
I played around a bit, following your comments, and fixed up the left three planet:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

(This left my homeworld in a shortfall for the moment but I wanted to simply get to an arrangement that worked for this planet.  Just to have done it.)  So thanks for the tips!

JackVonFlippen

• Sentient
  • Jack Von Flippen - CEO of Inherently Risky Schemes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:47:36 AM »
there are some youtube vids out there of people walking through this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starruler/comments/39w9me/5_tips_for_new_players/
Rule 1: Only overrule the tactical computer if you know something it doesn't.

Rule 2: The tac comp always knows more than you do.

- Miles Vorkosigan.