Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 1081 times)

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
A couple of questions
« on: November 15, 2014, 01:57:22 PM »
1. I don't understand how "rally points" work (at all!)?
(I'd rather like to be able to set so lots of built ships go somewhere.)

2. Carrier construction allows you to choose "Default Strike Craft" type.  What does it mean by "default". 
(I understand it builds whichever you choose, but maybe "default" implies you can somehow alter that.)

Doubtless I'll add more.... :)

[Yup!]
3. I've built a bunch of ships all over off a blueprint.  I decide to modify the blueprint, say both for subsystems and for AI orders.
Is it possible to select all those ships wherever, and then to get them to refresh their orders so that they a. retrofit and/or b. re-read their orders?
Also, it is possible to do this without adding (auto-)retrofit to their orders (permanently), if I happen to want this just once?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:18:43 PM by JonBrave »

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:37:46 PM »
2. Default is just the ones that get built at the same time the carrier itself gets built.  After the carrier is built you can load any ship you want into it as long as it has empty space.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:39:42 PM by seronis »
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
Got it, tx!

OK, what about #1 & #3, please? :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:20:01 PM by JonBrave »

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 02:29:52 AM »
2. Default is just the ones that get built at the same time the carrier itself gets built.  After the carrier is built you can load any ship you want into it as long as it has empty space.

a. I had thought that the automation "Replenish Strikecraft" meant that the carrier would rebuild (same) craft back to full complement once some were lost.  But now I think it does not do so at all --- you have to build your own further strikecraft, and then the carrier will house some of them, is that right?  (Because I think I've learnt from elsewhere that strikecraft don't "belong" to any carriers, or vice versa.)

b. Bearing that in mind, I'm wondering if my "strategy" doesn't work.  In order to have both fighter & bomber carriers, I have been designing a "Carrier" whose default is Fighters and a "Carrier Bomber" whose default is Bombers.  I'm now thinking that although they start out with desired types, once they lose some and start replenishing they will accept any type I have built, so they will not remain as Fighter carriers separate from Bomber carriers for long?

antibor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:03:44 AM »
1. I don't understand how "rally points" work (at all!)?
(I'd rather like to be able to set so lots of built ships go somewhere.)

2. Carrier construction allows you to choose "Default Strike Craft" type.  What does it mean by "default". 
(I understand it builds whichever you choose, but maybe "default" implies you can somehow alter that.)

Doubtless I'll add more.... :)

[Yup!]
3. I've built a bunch of ships all over off a blueprint.  I decide to modify the blueprint, say both for subsystems and for AI orders.
Is it possible to select all those ships wherever, and then to get them to refresh their orders so that they a. retrofit and/or b. re-read their orders?
Also, it is possible to do this without adding (auto-)retrofit to their orders (permanently), if I happen to want this just once?
1, Rally points work like that. However as far as I could find you can only set other planets or stars as rally points. Select the construction planet or dock, then right click on the target and select rally here, I think. Once built ships will move there. Of course stations will not move.
2a, The replenish should normally work if there are idle shipyards or docks in the system.
2b, Your approach of having separate figther and bomber carriers should work in terms of replenishing. I do not know, but I assume that when docking back, the fighters/bombers will not dock back to the original so you might end up with mixed carriers.
3, You should use the object finder from the empire window to select all of your ships of the outdated design. Then, while all ships selected(!), you should right click on one (so it makes sense to find one first) and add the AI order to (auto-)retrofit. If the updated design does not have retrofit automatically, this order will 'disappear' from their order list.

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »
Thanks, you're a star!

I had not understood that rallying worked like that.  I had thought I had to select ships to issue the rally call, it makes sense now, I can pick, say, the source star and have everything produced there go to the rally system.  I even get a yellow line when I select a source dry docks or planet, I am a happy bunny!