Author Topic: Is it possible to detect the system type of a Region?  (Read 583 times)

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Is it possible to detect the system type of a Region?
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:45:57 AM »
I've been implementing a bunch of nebulae (and an 'empty space' system, because who says stellar gravity wells and gas clouds are the only interesting places in the galaxy, right?! ;)) for ABEM, and I've hit a slight roadblock.

I was planning on implementing special orbitals for some of those nebulae, which provided nebula-specific buffs to an empire, sort of like what the Singularity Lab does. Unfortunately, as it turned out, the Singularity Lab checks if the star temperature of a system is 0, which doesn't help me determine what nebula type (if any) I'm trying to build them in. Furthermore, I seem to have found an integer ID for a system type in the documentation, but no function to get that ID from a string, which is a problem.

Am I missing something, or should I try to indirectly detect the system type using region statuses? (I was adding those anyway, so... as long as at least one object remains in the nebula to receive the status, I should be fine.)

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to detect the system type of a Region?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:41 AM »
The system type is not remembered after map generation, so this is not possible.

Dereknor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »
I had some similar thoughts.

You can give the Nebula a certain status by setting a Status in the Systemfile of the Nebula:
AddRegionStatus(FantasticNebulaResources)

You can set a status that just applies to orbitals, giving them a special resource or bonus. Now you only have to find a solution to make only special Nebula-Orbitals able to use these resources ;) But this way, you can make Nebulas have a special effect on Ships, Planets or Orbitals.

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:53:22 AM »
Yeah, I decided not to bother with it.