Author Topic: Is there a maximum ship texture size?  (Read 619 times)

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Is there a maximum ship texture size?
« on: March 12, 2015, 06:28:51 AM »
I'm porting in a ship that has multiple textures. Since SR seems to use only one texture per channel, I need to composite all of the textures together.

Is it possible for me to use a 4096 x 2048 texture for a ship?

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a maximum ship texture size?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
Probably, but it'll gobble up memory. :P

It's more complicated and time-consuming, but it may be a good idea to consider either scaling it down (probably a bad idea, seeing as it's several textures in one) or redoing the UV map altogether.

Titanicus

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 09:04:43 AM »
Well the base ship is large enough that even late game players aren't going to have more then a few.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 09:28:26 AM »
Textures always need to be loaded into the gpu, regardless of whether a ship using them exists, or you would be getting lagspikes in loading them when creating new ships. You should be able to use a texture that big, though you will be increasing the video memory used by the game.

Note that the game will automatically downscale the texture when loading it if you're not at least at 'High' texture quality (texture quality downscales so no texture is bigger than 2048 for 'Medium', 4096 for 'High' and 8192 for 'Ulta', though the vanilla game doesn't currently have any textures big enough for the higher qualities to make a difference).