Author Topic: Homeworld 2: Hiigaran Shipset  (Read 10629 times)

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
Homeworld 2: Hiigaran Shipset
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:43:11 AM »
The Hiigaran Shipset from Homeworld 2. It can either be used as a mod as is. Or you can copy the files in the folder(not including the modinfo.txt) straight into you Star Ruler directory.

MediaFire Link
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:00:33 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
Re: Homeworld 2: Hiigaran Shipset
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 05:31:47 AM »
Damn, these look nice ingame.

They're only missing player color markings and glowmaps, if I'm not mistaken. I could try doing those one of these days (though I won't promise that they'll look good). ;D

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:10:04 AM »
Yeah they are, problem with that is it would require doing some entirely new textures, while at the moment using the .mtl files i can use the homeworld ones.

Glow maps is probably one ill get round to doing, player colours doesnt seem that important since it would require a complete redo of the unwrap for a minor change.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Hazzard

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »
I'll try these out when I get home.

Glow maps should be pretty easy to do.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:37:19 AM »
Yeah they are, problem with that is it would require doing some entirely new textures, while at the moment using the .mtl files i can use the homeworld ones.

Ah, sorry, didn't know about that. I just assumed that markings and glow maps and are applied automatically on top of the existing textures without having to change anything in the model.

Glow maps is probably one ill get round to doing, player colours doesnt seem that important since it would require a complete redo of the unwrap for a minor change.

Cool. I'm very much looking forward to the day it's finished. That mothership, for example, should look amazing with glow maps. :)

By the way, I've noticed that not all models are used by the game (i.e. Juggernaut). Do these still work as expected? I haven't had the chance to experiment with it, but I'd like to (i.e. make colony ships look like a mothership and stuff like that).

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:53:05 AM »
Ah, sorry, didn't know about that. I just assumed that markings and glow maps and are applied automatically on top of the existing textures without having to change anything in the model.

Yeah its really unfortunate, basically the ship textures in homeworld are broken into sections, to make it work the way star ruler does, youd have to edit them together into one file. Instead of doing that ive used a .mtl file, which the .obj file looks to decide where each seperate piece of the texture goes.

By the way, I've noticed that not all models are used by the game (i.e. Juggernaut). Do these still work as expected? I haven't had the chance to experiment with it, but I'd like to (i.e. make colony ships look like a mothership and stuff like that).

Juggernaut is the hauler model, it was originally something else but I changed it as it seemed to suit better, but never renamed the files, the Hgn_Freighter model is actually unused. There are actually a lot of unused models, I just didnt include them in the shipset since I didnt set up firing points, impact points and engine points.

However thats easy enough to change around ive got around 8 unused models for shops, and 3 or 4 for stations. If anyone has any ideas on that models should be used for different things or would like some extra ones for above 200 ive got quite a few I can do.

Edit: Bah, Im going to go mad redoing all the firing, impact and engine points, want to include the extra models now, mix them around rescale and resize.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:15:04 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Smight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
You need to rescale those ships most of them are half the size they should be if not smaller.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 11:17:01 AM »
Only if you like playing with massive ships which dwarf planets.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
That's supposed to be the ship's scale's job.  If the planets are too large compared to the worlds for your aesthetics then change the scale of the planets.

Ship models should fill 90% of the empty space in the selection ring.  That keeps things consistent and doesn't make scaling up "and suddenly I've gone from the size of the moon to the size of the Sun" when you go up a model in scale from the ship list.
"Now it will punish you"

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Fair enough Firgof, that make sense. Thanks.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Exa

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »
A quick render of the battlecruiser:

It is a very nice model but doesn't it have too much detail?

Wvage

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:35:39 PM »
The thing I think is funny about this is I just found homeworld 1 & 2 a few days ago for the first time. Now I find this...
Downloading.

Wvage

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
Sweet job. I love them.

ouch

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »
The thing I think is funny about this is I just found homeworld 1 & 2 a few days ago for the first time. Now I find this...
Downloading.

Aww, that's too bad, it's always hard to hear someone that was forced to move. But don't worry if you shop around I'm sure you can find a realtor that has another rock for you to live under... lol

j/k :)
My Mods:
Auto Resource Transfering Subsystems (Fuel, Power, Ammo):
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=1427.0
Advanced spiral universe generation:
http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=1536.0
Currently working on: Adv Spiral Universe Map

darth necron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
how do i install this i really want to use the hiigaren shipset tried to use it as a mod but all i get is the neumon shipset and i get the same result if i try to install it manually could you do do an install read me please incase im making a mistake somwhere as id rather use this as a proper shipset rather than a mod thanks :)

my copy of sr is right up to date 1.0.7.8
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:42:20 PM by darth necron »
Your Destiny Lies With Me

Makadelik

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 01:20:10 PM »
I haven't been able to try this shipset a play a bit of Star Ruler until today... Ship set is awesome. AWESOME I say! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. Any I take it the "glowmaps" are what causes the ships to look pretty much black unless they capture the light from a star. Would really be awesome to have ship colors and especially the added lighting.

Thanks again - its the shipset I'll keep using : p

Star Raruron

• Sentient
  • Supreme MindLord Of The Incogniti Hive
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 02:14:58 PM »
nice job...
which extension filetypes where the originals?
or.. did you make them by 0?
what's an Incognito? A devilish ninja undead being with a technorganic replicative venom symbionte

Abregado

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 03:14:51 AM »
Here are the ship models as they appear in game. Scales 12, 24 and 64. Figgin awesome!

My only gripe is that they are MEGA TINY. Wouldnt be a problem really except when you zoom up on the fighters/bombers they dissapear before they are visible! Also even the micro ship icons cover most of the ships up.

Ragnarok

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 12:03:41 PM »
Yes, i noticed it too. it would be great if the creator could just scale the models by 30, maybe up to 40 percent.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »
Unlikely at the moment tbh, between GA and Work/Other Stuff, I don't really have time to redo all the firing points, engine points and impact points for all the models.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Star Raruron

• Sentient
  • Supreme MindLord Of The Incogniti Hive
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 10:19:21 AM »
it's better to not see fighters and bombers than having a lesser real scale... :P
i use huge planets generation and personally i like tiny ships according to generate more realistic proportions... (maybe it's insane, but i like it that way)

is anyone willing to try sins of a solar empire (.mesh) model conversions ^_^" (pleaaase)
what's an Incognito? A devilish ninja undead being with a technorganic replicative venom symbionte

Abregado

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 04:14:30 AM »
i use huge planets generation

Do you use a mod or have you modified the files yourself? Ive been playing with the scales and orbit sizes and cant find a nice set of values...

Foraven

• Delusional
  • Fear the gauss weapons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
That's supposed to be the ship's scale's job.  If the planets are too large compared to the worlds for your aesthetics then change the scale of the planets.

Ship models should fill 90% of the empty space in the selection ring.  That keeps things consistent and doesn't make scaling up "and suddenly I've gone from the size of the moon to the size of the Sun" when you go up a model in scale from the ship list.

Note though, i did it in FRB and increasing planet scale does have a few issues, like orbit speed being screwed since ships and planets scale their orbit speed around how large the thing they orbit is...
Maker of FRB mod.