Author Topic: Underpowered Ships -- Updated 6/6: Now with Miners  (Read 2524 times)

Totallyunderpowered

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Underpowered Ships -- Updated 6/6: Now with Miners
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »
I put together a little mod for my copy of Star Ruler, and it seems fairly stable and interesting, so I figured I would put it up for anyone interested.

I've included the 3 original AI personalities, and 3 "UnderPowered" AI personalities with different behaviors, layouts, and the inclusion of Traits:
  • Aggressor-UP: As the name implies, more likely to declare war and strike out at enemy systems.  Traits: Fast Metabolism, Slave Labor, Green Thumb, AI Paranoia
  • Defender-UP: A bit more aggressive than vanilla, prefers to fight on their turf.  Traits: Eusocial, Rigid, Strip-Mined Homeworld, Crystal Deposits
  • Researcher-UP: A bit cowardly, ships utilize more exotic weapons.  Traits: Naturally Euphoric, Bad Logistics

Also included is a "Default Ships" personality that uses the default designs, and a slightly upgraded Ion-drive variant for later.

Other changes include:
  • "UP" AIs will attempt to make mining fleets for asteroids.
  • "UP" AIs will be more selective about governor types with respect to Planetary Conditions
  • Planet graphics for Homeworlds will always appear Earth-like
  • Planet graphics for additional Gas Giants added, galaxies will tend to more of these as well as frozen and rock worlds.
  • Slightly different planetary condition criteria.  Barren-looking won't have Lush Flora, Gas Giants won't tend to have Rich Minerals, etc.
  • New Planetary Condition: "No Solid Surface" for Gas Giants...colonies are limited to smaller (and cheaper) near-orbital habitats

I also gave the Remnants a bit of a boost.  Increasing their value at the Main Menu, instead of dramatically increasing the number of their ships, will increase the Remnant's tech levels and starship scaling (similar to the Empire AIs).  They should be a more serious threat as the game wears on, but certainly not insurmountable.

So, if you feel this might appeal to you, give this mod a whirl.  I'll probably continue to make improvements, so stop by and see if I changed anything.  If you do, please let me know what you think of it, and what you think could be improved.

Thanks, and enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:47:27 PM by Totallyunderpowered »

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: Underpowered Ships
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
Curious:  Is the mod named after you or is the mod intended to make ships survive much longer?
"Now it will punish you"

Totallyunderpowered

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: Underpowered Ships
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:20:18 PM »
Curious:  Is the mod named after you or is the mod intended to make ships survive much longer?
The reference is just to my handle, I didn't know what else to call it.  :-[

Totallyunderpowered

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: Underpowered Ships -- Updated 6/6
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
Just a little bump for the newer version.   ;)

6/10:  Made more sense of the top post, and changed the way Remnants are generated, ensuring a bit more as their settings are increased.  Also fixed the behavior of some of their units.

6/14: I noticed a problem with planet textures, and added some logic to the UP AIs so that they can better defend systems with mining fleets, and slightly smarter Colony Ship production later in the game (less spammy).  So if you have a version from before today, you should probably delete the old version and replace it with this one.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:48:30 PM by Totallyunderpowered »