Author Topic: Looking to join a project. Programmer.  (Read 2034 times)

Xira

• View Profile
Looking to join a project. Programmer.
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:43:49 AM »
Hi, I am a c++/java/misc languages programmer and I'm looking to join and be a part of a Star Ruler mod project. If anyone is interested, please reply here or send me a message on these boards.

CXX

• View Profile
Re: Looking to join a project. Programmer.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
If you're interested, I could use some help with a mod.

I created the Simple Resource Mod as a first step towards larger things. First, remove the fluff, then add something more interesting. You can find it here, along with SVN details: http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=4385.0

These are the next items my todo list:

(small) I don't have smart governors for my mod yet, but I'd rather just fix the bug which makes smart governors so important. Metal Mines use a population multiplier, but Star Ports do not. Can you can figure out how to change that?
(medium) I'd like to make the galactic bank more concrete. I want to store goods in orbital stations. This means planets export to the stations, and vice versa. These stations are more discoverable than specialized lux/goods planets ever were, and makes blockades more interesting.
(medium) I'd like to make ore more concrete. Right now planets have unlimited ore, which seems wrong. Also, planets can be killed by a million small potshots, which seems unrealistic. Instead I'd like to have planets heal hitpoints up to the amount of ore they have. Mining removes ore, eventually leaving the planet a large, mined out husk for shipbuilding/farming/research. Husks are very weak against attack.
(large) I want to add fuel/energy as a more real resource. I've never built a fuel depot in this game, so fuel seems rather fake. I want to create several tiers of energy production and storage. I'll detail that below.

Production facilities will be, in order, planet chemical extractors, planet fission extractors, and ship solar concentrators. All facilities are available at every tech level, but lower tech production facilities have higher production rates at level 1. The level-up curves are different based on different multipliers (e.g. chemical could be ^1.3, fission ^1.35, solar ^1.4) so that higher tech facilities make more sense over time.

Ship energy storage will be unlocked in a more traditional manner. In order they are chemical storage (+ chemical engine), fission storage (+ reactor), antimatter storage (+ reactor). These technologies don't scale down very well, so batteries are also available for smaller ships. Batteries store less energy, require a reactor, and don't have 'production rates'. They are thus good for local defense but not for long range exploration. Energy from any production facility may be used in any storage, in an abstract way because I don't care for that level of detail.

Capitols would have some energy production and storage, and energy is very cheap for import and export.

The reason for all of this energy work is to really change how weapons work. I want some very deadly weapons which require massive reactors and limited by fuel. Other less flashy weapons would do more damage over time, and use fuel more efficiently. I want to match these weapons up against existing armors to make combat more interesting.

--

If you want to help, check out any of those items and let me know what you learn/do. All of this leads to more things later.

Xira

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
Sure I'll help, could you reply to the email I sent you in a message on these forums?

If you got it, I'm not entirely sure the PM sent, so just say something if it did not.

Xira

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »
Trying to download your SVN, managed to figure the program out, don't has a password to either checkout or import:D

If you could get one to me, that'd be great, either in PM or via the email I sent you.

Xira

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »
If you're interested, I could use some help with a mod.

I created the Simple Resource Mod as a first step towards larger things. First, remove the fluff, then add something more interesting. You can find it here, along with SVN details: http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=4385.0

These are the next items my todo list:

(small) I don't have smart governors for my mod yet, but I'd rather just fix the bug which makes smart governors so important. Metal Mines use a population multiplier, but Star Ports do not. Can you can figure out how to change that?

Other peoeple's AI is a really fun task, so I'll leave this for later.

(medium) I'd like to make the galactic bank more concrete. I want to store goods in orbital stations. This means planets export to the stations, and vice versa. These stations are more discoverable than specialized lux/goods planets ever were, and makes blockades more interesting.

How about mega-storage structures on planets as well as mega-orbital structures that all store stuff? Same difference, more eloquent and probable.

(medium) I'd like to make ore more concrete. Right now planets have unlimited ore, which seems wrong. Also, planets can be killed by a million small potshots, which seems unrealistic. Instead I'd like to have planets heal hitpoints up to the amount of ore they have. Mining removes ore, eventually leaving the planet a large, mined out husk for shipbuilding/farming/research. Husks are very weak against attack.

Sounds fun, does mining that ore increase the amount of slots on the planet too?
You'll need to come up with some other way to generate ore after a planet runs out, if running out means an end to ore, some sort of tech or building, otherwise the games will stall if they last very long at all.

(large) I want to add fuel/energy as a more real resource. I've never built a fuel depot in this game, so fuel seems rather fake. I want to create several tiers of energy production and storage. I'll detail that below.

Production facilities will be, in order, planet chemical extractors, planet fission extractors, and ship solar concentrators. All facilities are available at every tech level, but lower tech production facilities have higher production rates at level 1. The level-up curves are different based on different multipliers (e.g. chemical could be ^1.3, fission ^1.35, solar ^1.4) so that higher tech facilities make more sense over time.

Making this easier to understand for me(We can change all the names later to something else) planets will make A and B, spaceships and stations can produce C, the can all be used to

Ship energy storage will be unlocked in a more traditional manner. In order they are chemical storage (+ chemical engine), fission storage (+ reactor), antimatter storage (+ reactor).

So different types of planet and/or space produced materials are used by their corresponding type of engine/reactors?
So movement is made from type A, type B and C produce energy for the ship?

Why not just simplify it a bit and have them all use a generic 'energy' quanta with differing pluses/minuses for the different reactors and batteries? Hey, why not let's do away with the fuel/energy paradigm entirely. In line with this mod's flavor, we could just have everything use 'energy' and allocate differing sizes of reactors to different systems. A weapon for instance would need a reactor to function above a very minimal level, and there would be several with different effects and powers at different tech levels and tech paths.

So putting it all togther, you'd attach a reactor to damn near everything, the type/size of which would be a factor in how well the thing preformed. A huge reactor on a small weapon would make it more effective, or longer range, or something, and a small or no reactor on a large weapon would make it less powerful, or fire less often, or something.
Reactors would use 'energy' which would come directly from component X, which would be recharged either in orbit via another system attached to it, or via taking the resource from a structure on a planet that generates it.

Just an idea to make things more streamlined.

These technologies don't scale down very well, so batteries are also available for smaller ships. Batteries store less energy, require a reactor, and don't have 'production rates'. They are thus good for local defense but not for long range exploration. Energy from any production facility may be used in any storage, in an abstract way because I don't care for that level of detail.

This sounds to me like re-inventing the wheel of in-flight fuel regeneration. It already works like this in game with bussard ramjets and scoops. If you want it to stay the same, leave it the same:D

Capitols would have some energy production and storage, and energy is very cheap for import and export.

The reason for all of this energy work is to really change how weapons work. I want some very deadly weapons which require massive reactors and limited by fuel. Other less flashy weapons would do more damage over time, and use fuel more efficiently. I want to match these weapons up against existing armors to make combat more interesting.

It is certainly possible to have rock-paper-scissors going on, among all the other trade-offs which make the game interesting, not going to argue that that wouldn't improve things. But don't current armors already do that with their vulnerable-to and strong-against beams/explosions mechana?

I think something that would be more interesting is to have a more streamlines way to affect the output of a weapon. Instead of 'different weapons for different strokes' turn the system into a 'build-a-weapon' out of smaller modules type thing. So you'd have an emitter, a damage type lens, a delay circut, and a power source size....All of this is of course pointless if you can only attach 2 modules together, something I haven't looked at yet.

Can anyone tell me if this is all just wishful thinking, or if you can actually attach 3+ modules together if you want to?

Xira

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »
I am currently working on 'hardening' the export/import bank.

This could work in more than one way, one, we have a 'dummy node' that's large and expensive and that drains a certain % of the galactic bank's resources compared to how many of them are in existence when it is destroyed, with the number in existence setting the galactic bank's max size.

Or we could just have them be actual storage's, and force players to make trade ships to ferry resources around, using the default trade AI.

CXX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »
Other peoeple's AI is a really fun task, so I'll leave this for later.
This isn't AI at all, quite the opposite. It's just production values.
How about mega-storage structures on planets as well as mega-orbital structures that all store stuff? Same difference, more eloquent and probable.
The game already has cargo storage structures on planets and in orbit. The galactic bank is what I want to change. Right now that cargo is stored in some ethereal place, rather than space stations.
Sounds fun, does mining that ore increase the amount of slots on the planet too?
You'll need to come up with some other way to generate ore after a planet runs out, if running out means an end to ore, some sort of tech or building, otherwise the games will stall if they last very long at all.
Finite resources do mean a game could stall. But if planets had 1 ore per hitpoint, isn't that something like 3 billion ore per planet? That seems like plenty for anything other than ringworlds.

What I really want is a system where metal becomes less important and energy more so over the game. I can chat a bit more about where this is really going some time.
Making this easier to understand for me(We can change all the names later to something else) planets will make A and B, spaceships and stations can produce C, the can all be used to

So different types of planet and/or space produced materials are used by their corresponding type of engine/reactors?
So movement is made from type A, type B and C produce energy for the ship?

Why not just simplify it a bit and have them all use a generic 'energy' quanta with differing pluses/minuses for the different reactors and batteries? Hey, why not let's do away with the fuel/energy paradigm entirely. In line with this mod's flavor, we could just have everything use 'energy' and allocate differing sizes of reactors to different systems. A weapon for instance would need a reactor to function above a very minimal level, and there would be several with different effects and powers at different tech levels and tech paths.
Yes, fuel is concentrated energy. I see warship designs like:
  • Small fuel, small reactor, mass based weapons for attacking nearby systems.
  • Large fuel, small reactor, mass weapons for attacking distant systems.
  • Small fuel, large reactor, energy weapons for attacking nearby systems.
  • Battery with energy weapons for local defense. Won't last long but could even use 100% of energy in one shot.
  • Small fuel, large reactor, bussard ramjets, energy weapons for attacking distant systems.
So putting it all togther, you'd attach a reactor to damn near everything, the type/size of which would be a factor in how well the thing preformed. A huge reactor on a small weapon would make it more effective, or longer range, or something, and a small or no reactor on a large weapon would make it less powerful, or fire less often, or something.
Reactors would use 'energy' which would come directly from component X, which would be recharged either in orbit via another system attached to it, or via taking the resource from a structure on a planet that generates it.
I wasn't thinking about that. Really ships would be the same except that energy numbers would be tweaked for fuel, engines, generators, and weapons.
Just an idea to make things more streamlined.

This sounds to me like re-inventing the wheel of in-flight fuel regeneration. It already works like this in game with bussard ramjets and scoops. If you want it to stay the same, leave it the same:D
I was thinking more along the lines of refueling from planets and tankers.
It is certainly possible to have rock-paper-scissors going on, among all the other trade-offs which make the game interesting, not going to argue that that wouldn't improve things. But don't current armors already do that with their vulnerable-to and strong-against beams/explosions mechana?
I just make one ship design and it beats everything the AI ever uses. Reactive armor, repair bay, tiny boarding defense, a big laser, a lot of tiny lasers. Which is to say, what rock-paper-scissors system?
I think something that would be more interesting is to have a more streamlines way to affect the output of a weapon. Instead of 'different weapons for different strokes' turn the system into a 'build-a-weapon' out of smaller modules type thing. So you'd have an emitter, a damage type lens, a delay circut, and a power source size....All of this is of course pointless if you can only attach 2 modules together, something I haven't looked at yet.

Can anyone tell me if this is all just wishful thinking, or if you can actually attach 3+ modules together if you want to?
No idea.

CXX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 01:10:23 AM »
I am currently working on 'hardening' the export/import bank.

This could work in more than one way, one, we have a 'dummy node' that's large and expensive and that drains a certain % of the galactic bank's resources compared to how many of them are in existence when it is destroyed, with the number in existence setting the galactic bank's max size.

Or we could just have them be actual storage's, and force players to make trade ships to ferry resources around, using the default trade AI.
I was thinking of adding import docks. Trade ships really don't work well in this game, because planet production rates are sky high compared to the amount they can store. I think that's why BlindMind added the bank, but even with that system planets need cargo structures to be productive.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 03:11:09 AM »

Nope 1 modifier per system.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

Corellon

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »

In planet.as just change: float tickTrade = tradeRate.val * time * lackOfWorkers; to float tickTrade = tradeRate.val * time * lackOfWorkers * workRate;

Basicly you want to remove the spaceport structure and replace it with a subsystem on a station? Use a Effector to "Beam" Resources to/from the planet? (No need to have anything on the planet, the station could check for import and export)

You could just add a regen function to the planet.as tick() function to heal based on the remaining ore.

Ship energy storage will be unlocked in a more traditional manner. In order they are chemical storage (+ chemical engine), fission storage (+ reactor), antimatter storage (+ reactor). These technologies don't scale down very well, so batteries are also available for smaller ships. Batteries store less energy, require a reactor, and don't have 'production rates'. They are thus good for local defense but not for long range exploration. Energy from any production facility may be used in any storage, in an abstract way because I don't care for that level of detail.

If any production facility could used in any storage and device why have 3 separate fuels? Just have the level curve with the new systems using the existing fuel but making it scarcer. If you want 3 separate fuels then you'll need 3 resources which would make them unique for storage and use.
My mod's/Scripts
Automated defense rebuilding: Here or Integrated into Smart Gov below
Smart Governor: Here
Build on all: Integrated into stock game