Author Topic: [HSIpTL v0.2b] Hull Spaces Increase by Tech Level  (Read 3866 times)

Ashnar198

• View Profile
[HSIpTL v0.2b] Hull Spaces Increase by Tech Level
« on: January 05, 2012, 04:34:58 AM »
Hi everyone! :)
First thing, bare with me, i'm italian and my english sucks...
This is my first post so i'd like to thank Blind Mind Studios for the game (it's awesome, i've been waiting for a game like that since the good old space empire 5 ;D ), and i must say they did a great job here, also helping the comunity create their mods and listening to suggestions for updates. Most developers just give some tools and say "good luck people!"

Now to the point. I've been reading the forums for a few hours now and i saw many people asking for more spaces on their hulls, some people tried to make their own mods, but i still can't see anything released yet.
My idea is very simple, the hull space will increase with your tech level, so the more you spend on research, the more subsystems you'll be able to fit in your ships/stations.
I might also modify that little mod in future to make it more realistic, feel free to suggest any change.

Quick example:
Standard Hull has 15.00 spaces at Ship Construction lvl 1, and will increase by 0.50 each level.
So if you want 16 spaces you need lvl 3 in Ship Construction, and so on.

The mod will increase this way
Light Hull +0.25 per level
Standard Hull +0.5 per level
Heavy Hull +0.75 per level
Station Hull +1.5 per level
Fighter Hull +0.125 per level
Stealth Hull +0.125 every 2 level

That way you can't possibly have 400 spaces even using a very large scaled ship, to have 400 spaces you'd need an heavy hull with lvl 500+ in Ship Construction, that should keep the gameplay balanced enough.

Again, sorry for my english, hope you'll enjoy =)

EDIT: September 11, 2012

As reported by cbale2000 (and thanks for your help!) the mod didn't seem to work with the latest patches.
Fixed it right now, not much to do actually.
Also removed the inverted mod (heavier hulls equal to less spaces), because it didn't have as many downloads as the main one.

Last thing, i kept the old version (for those player who still didn't update or don't plan to update at all).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:08:49 AM by Ashnar198 »

Kalkin

• View Profile
That sounds too much space per level. Maybe tone it down a bit.

And looking at he list - light hull should get more space then standard and standard more than heavy. Station Hull looks ok, but stealth should get the least improvement.

Maybe something like:
Light Hull +0.5
Standard Hull +0.25
Heavy Hull +0.125
Station Hull +1
Stealth Hull +0.05 per level

Ashnar198

• View Profile
Thanks for the suggestion. I considered the way developers created the game, that's exactly why i reversed it xD
No offense, but a Light Hull, as the name says, should be Light, and for such reason shouldn't be able to hold as much spaces as an heavy hull. You'd think a frigate (i'm talking about military ships, not science fiction) is smaller, with much lighter hull and easier to sink in a real battle. That's the same way i consider a Light Hull.
Beside that i have been playing the game only a couple weeks but in my very best game (with standard research curves) i never reached level 40 in Ship Construction (nor in other technologies), that would mean a Light Hull would have 10 more spaces than normal (26), a Standard Hull would have 20 more than normal (35) and an heavy hull would have 30 more than normal (44) wich seems fine to me.
I can make a customized version for your tastes if you like, but i'd like more comments, see how more people feel about it before i totally change my vision about the mod.
(Almost forgot, the stealth hull is very expensive and has same spaces as standard hulls, i didn't see any good reason to improve it less than others, even because with a 0.05 per level you'd need 20 levels to add a single hull space, wich means 4 subsystems at best)

Kalkin

• View Profile
I understand it differently - light hull does not describe the space but construction of the hull.

So it can't protect the systems but has more space inside.

On the other hand heavy hull is thicker and should not have that much space.

Looking at your example frigate should be standard hull, cruiser heavy hull and they are in different scale sizes. Merchant ship would be light hull. It has more space inside but is not armored.

Ashnar198

• View Profile
I understand you point of view, and it makes perfect sense, but not as the game is intended (imho).
Since you can scale both a light hull and heavy to be bigger than a planet and the only difference in spaces would be 2. Not to mention that armors DO NOT take hull spaces.
So, as for the game structure, you could place more armors on the light hull and use the 2 extra spaces to add an engine, the result would be an heavier armor with same or better speed than an heavy hull. It doesn't make any sense TO ME O.o
Anyway, i'll make the modifications you told me and (must check if possible) add the alternative versione to the first post, so people can choose between my way to see how hulls should be intended and your/developers way. What you think? ^^

Alikan

• View Profile
cant seem to download your links, just get php files, would be very intrested to try this mod...

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
It seems that it's got something to do with the forums interaction with Firefox.  It appears to work in other browsers for some reason.  We're not quite sure what's going wrong, but that's the cause of it at least.
"Now it will punish you"

Alikan

• View Profile

cbale2000

• View Profile
Hate to bring back the dead, but is there any chance this will get updated to work with the latest version of SR? I used to love this mod when I used it a while back and it would be really nice to have working again.

Ashnar198

• View Profile
Hi!! I didn't play for a while (overehelmed by work snd stuff), but i'll check it out as soon as i can. If you also have any suggestioni, feel free to talk :)

cbale2000

• View Profile
Hi!! I didn't play for a while (overehelmed by work snd stuff), but i'll check it out as soon as i can. If you also have any suggestioni, feel free to talk :)

Not much to suggest short of creating a separate tech specific to hull space (if that's even possible), but even that I wouldn't make a high priority. This mod worked pretty good as it was... when it worked.  ;)

Ashnar198

• View Profile
Re: [HSIpTL v1] Hull Spaces Increase by Tech Level (very original name huh? xD)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 07:41:07 AM »
Hi again! I'm sorry i had you waiting, but i'm working on it right now (didn't even had latest updates for the game). I can't seem to find any error in the mod itself, or any incompatibilities with the new version. Still checking, i guess i'll make the update today or tomorrow at worse.
Gonna be only an update, still have to check if i can add techs, if so, i'll make it work with a specific technology.
Any suggestione, beside this mod? I don't know, like new items or so. Don't ask for graphical tweaks or similar, 'cause i just suck about it... :P
I like to work with other people idea, i'm not alwyas sure my perspective would be approved.

Not sure if i mentioned it before, but i'm italian, hope i make myself clear enough for you guys to understand my posts xD

EDIT: The new version is up and working. Hope you'll enjoy it =)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:09:45 AM by Ashnar198 »

cbale2000

• View Profile
Re: [HSIpTL v1] Hull Spaces Increase by Tech Level (very original name huh? xD)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
Hi again! I'm sorry i had you waiting, but i'm working on it right now (didn't even had latest updates for the game). I can't seem to find any error in the mod itself, or any incompatibilities with the new version. Still checking, i guess i'll make the update today or tomorrow at worse.
Gonna be only an update, still have to check if i can add techs, if so, i'll make it work with a specific technology.
Any suggestione, beside this mod? I don't know, like new items or so. Don't ask for graphical tweaks or similar, 'cause i just suck about it... :P
I like to work with other people idea, i'm not alwyas sure my perspective would be approved.

Not sure if i mentioned it before, but i'm italian, hope i make myself clear enough for you guys to understand my posts xD

EDIT: The new version is up and working. Hope you'll enjoy it =)

I'll assume its the second download in the OP that has 0 downloads.

Thanks a lot for fixing this!  :)