Author Topic: [Archive] Galactic Armory Discussion Thread  (Read 117503 times)

eRe4s3r

• Contributor
  • Distracted
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery
Re: [Archive] Galactic Armory Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2010, 03:38:22 PM »
I tested the mod for about an hour now and gotta say, i love the pirates (did you somehow change them?) i got attacked by about 20 size 10 ships and that was a lot of fun ;p Love all the additions as well, and i am a big fan of the scale HP limitation method you use, that is really a great idea

Stuff
- Do you plan on including ship experience? (I know, I know.. theres mod that does, but experience for ships is imo a pretty cool thing, i just like the armor/health and scale balance in this mod quite a lot so yeah :D
- Speaking about Armor, isn't there a way to somehow make smaller "scale" ships more "able" to dodge fire from (much) larger scale ships? Or is that not moddable yet?
- The start phase in 1.2.1 is pretty ok ;) Though i hope the remnants will get a MASSIVE boost (and some diversity?) at some point, i find them too easy.
- Do the pirates get larger ships the more the game progresses? I would love to see pirates come in with 1 or 2 bigger ships and, pirate ships really need better weapons which are not usable against planets but only for defense against ships.

Anyhow, tis a very good mod ;)
.- Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom -.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2010, 05:40:15 PM »
Updated to the latest version and I can not load my saved game. I assume this is normal but I figured I would ask just in case I was wrong.

Did you update from 1.1? If so, then that is normal. Unfortunately, savegames can not be loaded after certain things have been changed in the data files. This is especially true for provisions, and since the changes to armor and shields rely on those, there's nothing I can do to prevent it. This is also one of the reasons testing can be extremely time-consuming (imagine you have to start a new game after every few changes...). Sorry, I should've warned about that. :-\

I tested the mod for about an hour now and gotta say, i love the pirates (did you somehow change them?) i got attacked by about 20 size 10 ships and that was a lot of fun ;p

Thanks! Though I have to admit the pirates are not behaving the way I intended to. At the present time, they only use Pillagers (those scale 10 ships you mentioned) and nothing else. I'm not sure if this is due to changes I made to empire_defaults.xml or if it is related to the recent patches. I remember seeing this in the changelog:

Quote from: GGLucas
[Fixed] Pirates with money troubles weren't buying pillagers because marauders were cheaper.

As soon as I have the time, I'll investigate this. They were supposed to use some of my new designs as well, after all. ;D

Love all the additions as well, and i am a big fan of the scale HP limitation method you use, that is really a great idea

Thanks! At the moment, I think it feels better than static limits. It's nice to see how the structural limitations shift as your technology advances! :)

- Do you plan on including ship experience? (I know, I know.. theres mod that does, but experience for ships is imo a pretty cool thing, i just like the armor/health and scale balance in this mod quite a lot so yeah :D

I'm still thinking about that. Generally speaking, I would like to have both crew experience and AI efficiency reflected in some way. The details of the mechanic would still have to be developed, though. To be honest, I will also probably need some help to make it work.

- Speaking about Armor, isn't there a way to somehow make smaller "scale" ships more "able" to dodge fire from (much) larger scale ships? Or is that not moddable yet?

It ought to be moddable, and I think Foraven has this in his Re-Balance Mod (FRB).
Thought about it and decided not to implement this (yet?). Look at it like this: Every ship beyond the scale of a fighter or bomber is just so massive that, despite the thrust, you can not possibly expect it do change it's course quickly enough to dodge a high-speed bullet in empty space, much less a beam of light. :D
Also, regarding gameplay, the maximum chance to evade a shot for most ships below a certain critical scale would have to be limited to, say, something like 25% in order to prevent it from becoming overpowered. Then again, 25% is not THAT much if it's fighting a much bigger opponent... The way I see it atm, the benefits do not outweigh the effort. Sorry.

- The start phase in 1.2.1 is pretty ok ;) Though i hope the remnants will get a MASSIVE boost (and some diversity?) at some point, i find them too easy.

Actually I included a new ship design called Remnant Guardian, scale 25, with lots of firepower, shields and strong armor. I've yet to see the remnants get those... Did you see them use it?

- Do the pirates get larger ships the more the game progresses? I would love to see pirates come in with 1 or 2 bigger ships and, pirate ships really need better weapons which are not usable against planets but only for defense against ships.

While I don't like the idea of giving them bigger or more heavily armed ships (they're coming to loot, after all), I did include 5 new Pirate ship designs (one of fighter scale)... However, for some reason the pirates currently only rely on the Pillager. Like I said, I will look into this and try to fix it soon.

Anyhow, tis a very good mod ;)

Thank you! :)

In any case, it will probably be some time before I can continue working on the mod again; at least about a week. In the meantime, I will work on the details what to add/change next. Though I'd like it to be final, there may also be a few more additional tweaks to power cost and generation as well as some additional tweaks to some weapons' rate of fire and damage. A few more subsystems will be added as well, so don't think it'll get boring anytime soon, people! ;D

Steiner

• Star Ruler Tester (Group 2)
  • Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »
If you want to do crew experience and can't figure out how, I can help you with that - If you want to. My approach is not perfect (as it requires many edits), but it does its job pretty well. Maybe you'll even come up with a better way to do it! ;)

Current Version: 1.5.1 for SR v.1.0.6.2

eRe4s3r

• Contributor
  • Distracted
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2010, 03:09:43 AM »

Actually I included a new ship design called Remnant Guardian, scale 25, with lots of firepower, shields and strong armor. I've yet to see the remnants get those... Did you see them use it?

Nope.. have not seen any such yet but i will keep an eye out. I was talking scale 25-250 stuff (particularly, chance for WAY more heavier stations). Remnant stations should be pretty kick-ass and maybe even use AI Only subsystems.
.- Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom -.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2010, 06:41:50 AM »
Hey everyone, just stopping by to say I'm still alive. ;D

I'm back home now and can resume development of Galactic Armory. Unfortunately, I'm feeling a bit under the weather due to a cold I caught, so development will be quite a bit slower for a while.

In any case, 1.2.1 was tested with Star Ruler 1.0.2.8 and I can confirm it works without problems. Should the need arise, I'll release hotfixes to make sure the mod stays compatible to the latest Star Ruler release while I'm working on the next version.

If you want to do crew experience and can't figure out how, I can help you with that - If you want to. My approach is not perfect (as it requires many edits), but it does its job pretty well. Maybe you'll even come up with a better way to do it! ;)

Thanks! That's a mighty generous offer of you, and I may actually come back to it later on. ;D
I've thought about a way to give both AI cores and crewed ships distinctive advantages. Crews should, of course, gain experience through combat. The rate at which this happens as well as the maximum amount of experience they can achieve could be influenced by a new research (something like "Tactical Analysis" or "Space Warfare Tactics"). AI cores, on the other hand, won't gain any experience in combat, but start with a set amount of EXP (representing their efficiency compared to green crews) that would rise as computer research improves (to a maximum of, say, 50% at a certain level). That way, both have their own advantages and disadvantages. If you like building huge fleets of smaller, more vulnerable ships, AI is the way to go; if you prefer less ships that will probably survive a lot longer, you will want to have them occupied by a crew.
Anyway, that's just the way I see it atm; I'm not sure if it can be done like that.

Nope.. have not seen any such yet but i will keep an eye out. I was talking scale 25-250 stuff (particularly, chance for WAY more heavier stations). Remnant stations should be pretty kick-ass and maybe even use AI Only subsystems.

That's a good idea; although I am a bit worried about starting a game and having only Remnant-infested systems in my stellar neighbourhood.
But I agree that a few bigger, more intimidating designs would go a long way in making the Remnants more interesting. Well, I'll try and make sure they fully utilize the existing designs, first! :D

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »
Glad your back to work on your mod. Regarding Experience: Yea, I'm thinking about a way to include AI to this, too, but that'll complicate it a bit because you have to include the case that both a computer and a crew manned ship are on board. See, you would have to check for various different possibilities, like a huge computer and just a tiny bridge with a tiny crew quarter. So, would it be an AI ship then and start with extra exp or not? etc. etc.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »
Glad your back to work on your mod. Regarding Experience: Yea, I'm thinking about a way to include AI to this, too, but that'll complicate it a bit because you have to include the case that both a computer and a crew manned ship are on board. See, you would have to check for various different possibilities, like a huge computer and just a tiny bridge with a tiny crew quarter. So, would it be an AI ship then and start with extra exp or not? etc. etc.

Regarding that, I think your current approach would be best; that is, restricting the ship to either one. Maybe some sort of high-end AI-supported manned bridge could be introduced as a late-game hybrid (bonus to starting exp, decent learning rate, max EXP at 75% ?). Just thinking out loud here.

For the time being, I'm working on fixing up some issues with the new AI personalities; mainly that most of their designs exceed the maximum armor/shield threshold of the mod. Pirates and Remnants also should be able to use new ship designs now. Will test it later if I have the time. I also hope to have a new AI personality in the next version that relies heavily on GA-specific technology. ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:12:05 AM by XTRMNTR2K »

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »
Yeah, i had to redo them too, because of the different hull types and the changed energy and fuel consumption that comes with EU. And I'm still not finished  :'(

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
As opposed to what I said earlier, progress towards 1.3 is actually looking great. There will be a lot of new toys to play with, among them X-Ray Lasers, Anti-Shield-Weapons and Shield-Piercing Weapons.

@Steiner: I had a look at how you implemented the Disruptor and built my Anti-Shield Weapon based on that idea. I hope you don't mind. :)

The real treat, however, is that fighter craft finally got some love. If you like using lots and lots of fighters and bombers, you will love the shiny new toys they get. Here's a sneaky little preview. ;D

Version 1.3 will still need some more time for testing, though, to make sure some things are working. I also want to wait for patch 1.0.3.0, but that should arrive soon anyways. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:52:46 PM by XTRMNTR2K »

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
I can't believe you are still using a power generator when you have computers already unlocked :P

But anyways! Nice things you have done there: Seems like the new carrier you've implemented will have some proper babies to play with. :D

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
I can't believe you are still using a power generator when you have computers already unlocked :P

Fusion reactors and AM generators are fine and dandy, but imagine what happens when one of 100 fighters in a formation equipped with those goes boom... :D

But anyways! Nice things you have done there: Seems like the new carrier you've implemented will have some proper babies to play with. :D

That's what I hope for. Fighter and Bomber weapons will have a high ammo consumption, and ammo caches/fabricators aren't allowed on fighters anymore, so they will definately need to rely on support ships. And what's better than a big-ass carrier for that? ;D

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
Fusion reactors and AM generators are fine and dandy, but imagine what happens when one of 100 fighters in a formation equipped with those goes boom...  :D

The Fusion won't even deal 100 damage (unless you have changed that  ;)) so i guess I'll stick to them.  :P

Btw. I was asking myself; how do bombs work? Have they any special abilities, too? Would be kinda cool to give them a damage boost against big targets while they have a malus against smaller ones.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2010, 06:07:18 AM »
The Fusion won't even deal 100 damage (unless you have changed that  ;)) so i guess I'll stick to them.  :P

Has it been changed, then? I remember some bad things I've experienced with AM-equipped fighters. Once I built 1,000 little drones just for fun and during an attack one or two were shot down and suddenly hundreds of them exploded as well (with no flak involved). Maybe it was because I forgot to put armor on them? :D

Btw. I was asking myself; how do bombs work? Have they any special abilities, too? Would be kinda cool to give them a damage boost against big targets while they have a malus against smaller ones.

No, there are not special abilities yet aside from armor/shield piercing properties. But I'm interested in making them useless against other fighters, as well as introducing weapons that ignore the fighter dodge bonus (like missiles to intercept incoming bombers at long range).

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2010, 06:15:24 AM »
I think it would be pretty cool to have them make damage bonus against bigger scaled ships. Makes them more fearful and might result in people tending to put more Point Defense on their ship.  ;D

For the next update of EU I've changed the PD style weapons to have a 50% chance per shot of ignoring the basic dodging of a fighter, not the speed dodging, though. I think I'm going to extend that on Torpedos and Missiles, too. They'll get a bit more damage in return, but can be shot down if the ship is properly defended.  :)

darkova

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2010, 01:02:01 AM »
i was wondering since you added shield and armor hardpoints for the hulls will you be finding a way to make shields no longer take up any space in this mod?

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2010, 05:11:35 AM »
i was wondering since you added shield and armor hardpoints for the hulls will you be finding a way to make shields no longer take up any space in this mod?

Making shields take up no space should be easy. I think changing one line in the data file should do the trick.
I was actually toying with the idea of doing just that when I was working on 1.2. The main reason I didn't implement it that way in the first place was that it simply doesn't make sense. Strapping armor on a ship hull can be done (mostly) without having to account for internal space. Shields, however, have to be installed deep within the ship, preferably so they are a) at the least vulnerable place and b) close to the ship's reactor to minimize the need of transferring the power from one end of the ship to the other. They should also require some sacrifice in internal space. Otherwise it's just "ah, I'll just put as many shield generators as the emitters support on this ship", for every ship.

But, since you're suggesting it, I will tinker with it once 1.3 is done. I was thinking of implementing some kind of shield-armor (with very dense, quick-recharging fields). That may be what you are looking for. :)

Regarding the current status of 1.3: It is mostly done. I haven't had a chance to download and install SR 1.0.3.0 yet, however. Depending on the changes that have been made, the process of porting the mod to the new patch may take longer than usual. I also really, really wanna make sure there are no oversights and bugs (due to laziness on my part) in the next release, so a lot of testing will be needed.
I'll try to get it done ASAP, folks, but don't expect a release this week.

EDIT:
Regarding 1.2 compatibility with Star Ruler 1.0.3.0, there have been A LOT of changes and I wouldn't recommend playing Galactic Armory 1.2 with it. Instead, wait for GA 1.3 and enjoy all the cool new features (park in orbit! yay!) of vanilla Star Ruler in the meantime. ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:05:38 AM by XTRMNTR2K »

darkova

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »
no bigge just wondering if you were doing that is all

funny thing though whenever i think of shield generators i always think they have to be on the ships exterior to work effectively

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2010, 03:11:57 AM »
funny thing though whenever i think of shield generators i always think they have to be on the ships exterior to work effectively

That's what the shield emitters are for. ;D
But like I said, I will probably experiment with an external kind of shield, the shield armor. Should be a late-game substitute or addition to the normal shield generator. More types of shield (besides the shield armor) aren't planned yet, but at least one or two more shield-related technologies.

As for the next version, I'm pushing to have it ready on Monday. Didn't really encounter problems with 1.0.3.0 yet, but I have to do some more testing with the re-released patch today.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2010, 04:20:51 PM »
Version 1.3 was just released!

A lot of changes once again. Besides further balance tweaks and cosmetic changes (sounds, graphics) the biggest changes should be the new weapons especially designed for fighters and bombers. Right now there is only the fighter hull, but the next release will contain at least hull for bombers. For most weapons it does not matter which hull is used, but some are for fighter or bomber hulls only (as seen in the name and subsys icon).

Pirates now also use the new ship designs I gave them, as well as the 'warmonger' AI personality I added to the mod. There is still an issue of the Remnants not using a ship design I made despite fulfilling the tech requirements, and I am looking into this.

In the meantime, have fun blowing stuff up with superlasers. ;D

Exa

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »
Fighter specific weapons?!! Now I really have to try this ;D

Thanks!  :)

Razguul

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »
Why on earth does the .pdf file accompanying the mod have a black background? Can't change it unless you have Adobe Acrobat and it sure will waste a lot of black ink when printing!

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
Why on earth does the .pdf file accompanying the mod have a black background? Can't change it unless you have Adobe Acrobat and it sure will waste a lot of black ink when printing!

Sorry 'bout that. I know it can be hard on the eyes (and printer :D), but I liked it better than staring at a white screen the whole time. ;D
This should be better. I also took out the two bigger pictures in the beginning, so it should be easier to print.

BTW, it's good to know someone even reads it. :) I was thinking of dropping the manual alltogether because most of it's content (the subsystems) is automatically added to he ingame stellarpedia.

Razguul

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2010, 06:48:12 PM »
Thanks. I appreciate it. Gonna fill in the tech levels for the new stuff on the printed copies since they aren't in the original (I know they are in the in game doc).

Also, I noticed there aren't any pluses or minuses in the descriptions for the following items:
Ion Beam, Firestorm Defense, Superlaser, Fighter/Bomber weapons, propulsion items, etc.  Do you intend to add anything?

Thanks.

scrutator

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:39 PM »
Great mod, love the fighter weapons... But the shield HP doesnt scale properly with size.... Small ships have far too much shield points, and if you double the size, shield hp is less than doubled as well. Given that both shields and armour have increased in HP so much, even small ships become monsters at tech 8 or so.

Essentially, the new shield and armour formulas are far too good. Great idea with the armour points/shield emitters though!

The new stuff is great fun to play around with, but it needs a bit of tweaking and better ai shipbuilding use.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2010, 03:56:11 AM »
Thanks. I appreciate it. Gonna fill in the tech levels for the new stuff on the printed copies since they aren't in the original (I know they are in the in game doc).

Good idea - I'll add them for the next release. To be honest I was just too lazy to do so in the first place. :D

Also, I noticed there aren't any pluses or minuses in the descriptions for the following items:
Ion Beam, Firestorm Defense, Superlaser, Fighter/Bomber weapons, propulsion items, etc.  Do you intend to add anything?

Yep, I do. That wasn't a high priority when I made them, but it

Great mod, love the fighter weapons... But the shield HP doesnt scale properly with size.... Small ships have far too much shield points, and if you double the size, shield hp is less than doubled as well. Given that both shields and armour have increased in HP so much, even small ships become monsters at tech 8 or so.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
The increase in armor HP was intentional. I know that especially in the early game ships tend to eat railgun slugs for breakfast. The good thing is that battles last longer than a few seconds now, and repair bays are "nice to have" rather than "must have" now. Still, I take your feedback seriously and will have another look at it. Might tweak it a bit down again.

The shield HP issue is something I noticed as well. The funny thing about it is that I can't seem to remember it being this way before 1.0.3.0, but I may be wrong. Will look into the formula. I suspect there's something wrong with it.

Essentially, the new shield and armour formulas are far too good. Great idea with the armour points/shield emitters though!

Thanks!
By the way, did you try the PFW, T-Ray Emitter or one of the armor-piercing weapons? The PFW helps taking strong shields down, the T-Ray and Advanced Bomb ignore shields completely, and Phased Energy Beam, Thermal Penetrator and Precision Bomb ignore armor. If you find your opponent's ships to be hard to kill, those may help.
I've also found beam weapons with long firing durations (Ion Beam, Antimatter Projector) to be very efficient against shields, as one salvo often takes down the shields and damages the target. Combine those with high-ROF weapons like plasma throwers, and shields should have a hard time recharging! ;D

The new stuff is great fun to play around with, but it needs a bit of tweaking and better ai shipbuilding use.

Once again, thanks a lot for the feedback. I always try and test new features as much as I can, but sometimes I overlook things. Good feedback is invaluable as it helps me to pinpoint the issues and have a look at them in detail.

As for the next version, there will either be a compatibility update if patch 1.0.3.2 requires it, or a new release with more features later on. I'd say one or two weeks from now. :)

Exa

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2010, 10:57:15 AM »
I've barely had time to play the mod, but so far it's great. Now that you have added superlasers, I'm looking forward to build a Death Star  ;D

If you don't mind, I would like to suggest some additional subsystems (you probably have many in mind, but hey, there are never too many ideas, isn't it?):

- Fighter/bomber cockpit: a single subsystem which provides some control and a crew of 1. Useful to save space and mass in fighters, but doesn't provide enough control to be useful for larger ships.

- A railgun "carronade": like the 18th century weapon, a short-range but high damage version of the standard gun. Available from the beginning, it would just "spice up" things.

- "Ravager": a salvager which can be used against still operational enemy ships. Just use the ravager to tear the enemy ship (delivering heavy damage) and get some metal. I guess this would be very useful for pirates... or anyone running out of metal!

- A "material containment beam" which can be used on your own planets: the definitive way to supply dry-docks. I believe it would also look cool: just imagine 3-4 dry-docks orbiting a planet with their beams on to get supplies.

- (I'm not sure if this would work, I think it just operates on the same basic principle of an "antimatter generator bomb" but using ammo instead of fuel) "Drone warhead": a subsystem that explodes (delivering high close range damage) when the ship runs out of ammo. The warhead is also a very short range gun with 1 shot (this is in fact a detonator). Thus, you put the warhead in a hull, together with some engines, fuel and control, and send it against the enemy ship. It has to get very close to open fire, and as soon at it does that, it runs out of ammo and explodes. The player could use the warhead to build all kind of drones: fast and light or armored missiles, mines, etc... Large ships could carry drones in ship-bays. Another selling point: warhead drones could be destroyed with flaks.

Ok, that were just some ideas, hope they at least give you some inspiration to keep up with the good work!  :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:19:50 PM by Exa »

Razguul

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »
Running 1.3 with 1030 and after researching a while, I tried importing your included ships. Most came in OK except for Bomber T6 and Fighter T6 (haven't tried other fighter related ships yet). Got a Sub System is restricted error and wouldn't import. Removed Ammostorage from the xml and they came in fine. Tried to add ammostorage back in on Overlay screen once they were imported but got the same error message.

Update:
Also, your Dreadought T8 & T10, Carrier T8, Battlecruiser T8 & T10, and Battleship T8 import OK but all have Flight Times of N/A and the Fuel Peak Usage/sec is a positive number. I'm sure there are others. Might wanna check all your ships again.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:16:39 PM by Razguul »

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
Running 1.3 with 1030 and after researching a while, I tried importing your included ships. Most came in OK except for Bomber T6 and Fighter T6 (haven't tried other fighter related ships yet). Got a Sub System is restricted error and wouldn't import. Removed Ammostorage from the xml and they came in fine. Tried to add ammostorage back in on Overlay screen once they were imported but got the same error message.

Yeah, sorry about that. Originally I created those designs before the fighter/bomber overhaul, so they a) do not include the new f/b specific weapons and b) they may not even be useable anymore. In that special case, it's because I restricted ammo storages from fighter hulls. Fighters and bombers can only load so many weapons, and you can't just build an ammostorage like you can in a cruiser. But, as your tech levels increase, the ammo storage of the fighter/bomber weapons gets larger as well (up to 2x or 2.5x of the start value, at level 13, I think).

I haven't started on 1.4 yet, but when I have the time and I feel the whole thing's more or less stable in terms of new regulations and such, I will add new designs incorporating the new subsystems for both the player and AI.

I've barely had time to play the mod, but so far it's great. Now that you have added superlasers, I'm looking forward to build a Death Star  ;D

Yeah, those things are a lot of fun. ;D

If you don't mind, I would like to suggest some additional subsystems (you probably have many in mind, but hey, there are never too many ideas, isn't it?):

Ideas are always good. They are, at the very least, a source of inspiration for other, more refined or different ideas. :)
- Fighter/bomber cockpit: a single subsystem which provides some control and a crew of 1. Useful to save space and mass in fighters, but doesn't provide enough control to be useful for larger ships.

Thought about that. It's very likely I'll add it for 1.4.

- A railgun "carronade": like the 18th century weapon, a short-range but high damage version of the standard gun. Available from the beginning, it would just "spice up" things.

Interesting... Something like that may make it's way into the mod. Probably not exactly like that, but as a new short-ranged high-damage or burst-fire projectile weapon. After all, most of the current projectile weapons are fighter/bomber weapons...

- "Ravager": a salvager which can be used against still operational enemy ships. Just use the ravager to tear the enemy ship (delivering heavy damage) and get some metal. I guess this would be very useful for pirates... or anyone running out of metal!

Interesting idea, and even kind of funny. ;D

- A "material containment beam" which can be used on your own planets: the definitive way to supply dry-docks. I believe it would also look cool: just imagine 3-4 dry-docks orbiting a planet with their beams on to get supplies.

Thought about the same thing. Although it's more or less only a substitute for a more refined system. But for the time being it could help a lot - and I think it may be very easy to do, in fact.

- (I'm not sure if this would work, I think it just operates on the same basic principle of an "antimatter generator bomb" but using ammo instead of fuel) "Drone warhead": a subsystem that explodes (delivering high close range damage) when the ship runs out of ammo. The warhead is also a very short range gun with 1 shot (this is in fact a detonator). Thus, you put the warhead in a hull, together with some engines, fuel and control, and send it against the enemy ship. It has to get very close to open fire, and as soon at it does that, it runs out of ammo and explodes. The player could use the warhead to build all kind of drones: fast and light or armored missiles, mines, etc... Large ships could carry drones in ship-bays. Another selling point: warhead drones could be destroyed with flaks.

Back on page 1 (or 2?) there was some talk about a missile and point defense overhaul. Regardless of a better way to implement that at a later time, I always toyed with the idea of missiles you could design just like ships that could also be intercepted. It is still not decided if they will be in, and even if I decided to include them, I would still need a missile model and texture.

Ok, that were just some ideas, hope they at least give you some inspiration to keep up with the good work!  :)

Yes, in fact they did. It always pays off to listen to others. Thanks! :)

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
Nice trailer, XTRMNTR2K. :)
"Now it will punish you"

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.