Author Topic: Warp Points  (Read 1448 times)

IcyKaRma

• View Profile
Warp Points
« on: July 21, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »
I think the most strategic feature they could add, as an option of course, is warp points.  They should be randomly connected like it is in Sword of the Stars.  Your thoughts?

Edit:  I just feel it gives more reason and focus to the game.  I don't really like building space stations outside the range of a planet because they're all but useless since the enemy can come from any direction.  It really deters any hope of building a defense besides just producing a ton of ships, which for me doesn't take much strategy.  Warp points also help signify the size of the game and makes aware the significance of losing a star system.  If I lose a single star system, even if it's what I call a "shipyard system", I really don't feel it because none of the systems around it are really affected.  Now if I lost it and all the warp points are cut off to the systems beyond it then losing it hurts much more.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:27:59 PM by IcyKaRma »

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
Re: Warp Points
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 03:55:54 PM »
I agree that warp points could be a good tactical option to the game BUT not with how fast ships are currently able to move. Thrust ratios right now mean even if ya are building a couple systems over they can just fly to a nearby system to bring in reinforcements. Then when ya factor in jump drives its even easier.

So to get warp gates to be worth implementing i think about a 25% reduction in thrust across the board would be first step. 2nd step would be that jump accuracy needs tweaked. You should only be able to jump to the edge of a system for starters. Jumping directly to a star or planet would require ya to have a gate built.

What do ya think about having jump gate hulls requiring certain level of sensor tech? For the jump beacon and maybe even jump scrambling?

Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

IcyKaRma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »
I agree that warp points could be a good tactical option to the game BUT not with how fast ships are currently able to move. Thrust ratios right now mean even if ya are building a couple systems over they can just fly to a nearby system to bring in reinforcements. Then when ya factor in jump drives its even easier.

So to get warp gates to be worth implementing i think about a 25% reduction in thrust across the board would be first step. 2nd step would be that jump accuracy needs tweaked. You should only be able to jump to the edge of a system for starters. Jumping directly to a star or planet would require ya to have a gate built.

What do ya think about having jump gate hulls requiring certain level of sensor tech? For the jump beacon and maybe even jump scrambling?

You're right on the jump drive issue.  Yes, I believe there should be more limitations on jump drives as the way it is used right now once again takes almost all strategy out of the game and makes it just about spamming out ships.

IcyKaRma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
Another thought is giving the option of disabling the galactic bank in a game for all players.  The galactic bank, which minimizes the headache of managing resources, also minimizes the strategy in the game.  If you can't defeat an enemy outright why not at least destroy as many resource transport to mess up their economy? 

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 12:46:45 PM »
I have another thread post in here about galactic bank use. Use the forum search and check it out to see how you like the idea of an updated bank system.
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

Prezombie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:20:35 PM »
I would say the best way to balance this would be to have a new structure similar to the starport, which requires you to build, and you can warp between any two of them. It would be best if it was expensive enough to make building one in a newly captured system difficult.

Jyin

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:46:56 AM »
I don't agree.
One of THE best feature about SR is, go-anywhere galaxy.
You can even have fleet meet in deep space.
I hate those warp-high-ways.

With that said.
It's easy enough to create a sub-system called "Warp Gate" and make objects that do not have Jump Drive to warp to other system (or arbitrarily point in space). In fact the standard game already have this, just not for building by player. Or you can modify the current Jump Drive to be able to target an object (with sub-system, mass, etc as restrictions).

It is *FRUSTRATING* to see ships with automation that does not use Jump Drive, but even that can be address with mods (See my Minister Mod as example, one of main reason I wrote it was to make Jump Drive more useful).

Hurk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:12 PM »
use a Mass effect esq gate. you click on a ship, click use gate, then click to move. your ship moves into the gate and is accelerated to the point that the AI decelerates you to your target move point.

so with very fast scout ships, you can start moving almost the speed of light across a large galaxy, only to decelerate all the way to the target, getting there in ~15x faster.