Author Topic: Cargo Bays  (Read 776 times)

daraptor0

• View Profile
Cargo Bays
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:14 AM »
This suggestion may be obsolete, if this is the case, then I apologize in advance. If it's not how ever, can someone give me a tutorial please?

Anyways, I suggest, that cargo bays or ships with cargo capacity can be "locked" for certain resources.

To illustrate this, Imagine you want a completely self sustained flying factory which can harvest her own resources. So clearly, she'd be loaded out with a massive cargo bay, mining lasers, metal refineries, and various assemblers. She'd fly around the cosmos eating asteroids and pooping shinny combat ships. However, there is an issue I always run into, ship mines asteroid receives ore > ore converted to metal > metal converted to electronics > electronics converted to advanced parts > ship now has a bay loaded with 100% advanced parts.

My proposal is as follows, allow me to lock, either by volume or percentage, the maximum load for each ware in the overall cargo capacity. They must be capable of overlapping and doesn't have to add to 100%, if I don't want. For example, fill 100% with ore, fill no more than 50% metals, no more than 40% electronics and no more than 20% advanced parts, or any combination/percentage I choose. As well as no less than, meaning she'd attempt to stock pile one resource before proceeding to the next.

My ship will now always have a proper ratio of resources to construct a big fleet of angry ships, rather than flying around with 30K advanced parts, what good does that do me in deep space? NONE. Also, don't suggest I just use a fleet of transports flying back and forth supplying it with w/e because I could still run into the same situation, not to mention, the whole point of this game is my empire, how I built it, is how I want it.

Thank you for your time and the consideration of my suggestion, ps: Great game!

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
Re: Cargo Bays
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:52:36 AM »
It may not be the exact thing you're looking for, but Galactic Armory has additional cargo units that are limited to one specific resource only (i.e. cargo units for metal OR electronics OR advanced parts). Not the solution you are looking for, but it still helps a good deal when designing refinery or factory ships. The mod also has import bays that enable you to import resources to a ship or station which make orbital or deep space factories much more independent (though their usage is not unlimited in your empire).

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: Cargo Bays
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
Anyways, I suggest, that cargo bays or ships with cargo capacity can be "locked" for certain resources.

What you're looking for is the Construction Bay.  The Cargo Bay is a free-for-all but the Construction Bay has individual 'compartments' for each construction resource so that it doesn't get overfilled by any one resource.  The subsystem and its scripting are available here for your perusal:  http://starruler.blind-mind.com/wiki/index.php?title=ConstructionBay

I believe the ratio is 33.3/33.3/33.3?  (Metals/Elec/AdvParts)  That may be incorrect though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:18:25 AM by Firgof »
"Now it will punish you"