Author Topic: Need advice about a special race/research gameplay  (Read 1242 times)

Luriant

• View Profile
Need advice about a special race/research gameplay
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »
Hi, and sorry my bad English.
This is my third intent on playing the game.

I see the wiki, build ships, see governor scripts, and i have a idea of a special empire, but i know your opinions before change the scripts and play it. My motto its "Make the game simple" so I remove all unnecesary stuff in the game, tech trees, buildings and more.

I think play a:
Eusocial Society: Without good and luxury factory, i can focus on mining and building ships.
Slavery: More labor are good.
Rigid: I think social politics aren't needed, and i prefer don't use resource mandate
Engine Catalyst: I use bussard ramjet, i don't have fuel cost.
AI Paranoia: Bridges are better than computer core.
Efficient: For better haulers.

I plan don't use Ammo or Fuel, less buildings and more concentrated research. Only Armor and Beam need to be unlocked.
Research:
Stealth, Sensors, Gravitics, Missile, Propulsion, Projectile, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Cargo, Shield
Sociology: Only a little, slavery help me in the early-game.
General Science: For better research.
Particle Physics: Better bussard ramjet and ramscoop.
Metalurgy: Better mining and repair other ships.
Ship Construction: Hull and Construction Bay
Beam Weapons: Great collection of weapons, planetary defense, control damage, power damage, high alpha, superweapon, ignore armor, mining all with infinite ammo and instahit.
Energy Science: Generator, Capacitors, Fuel Cell, Emergency power
Ship Systems: Control, Crew, Life support, Colonizer
Armor: More hitpoints, and armor are repaired with Repair Tool.
Spatial Dynamics: Only after research the other, and only for the DSM
Computers and Nanotechnology: For Electronic fabricator and Adv part assembler

Bussard ramjet have 50% thrust of other Engines, with 0 fuel usage and need only metal.
4.0 Bussard ram scoop can fuel a 0.25 Power generator enough energy for Bridge, crewquarters, life support.
1.25 emergency power can support a 4.0 laser
And a 3.75 ablative armor give some protection.
This ship have a cost of 85% metal, 10% electronics, 5% adv parts in fighter hull, more metal in heavy hull.
Infinite Ammo, fuel and energy.

Buildings:
Not need of Ammo Depot, Fuel Depot, Good Factory and Luxury Factory. All worlds to mining Metal (or researching) and in mid-game stations to build the little electronics and adv parts needed, and ship building.

===========================
Before i change the governors scripts... What am I wrong? I know that my ships are a little bad, but i think that my better economic, research and race trait can help me building more ships more advanced that my opponents.

Ps. Great, a Spell Check in the forum.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:18:37 PM by Luriant »

AlfalphaCat

• View Profile
Re: Need advice about a special race/research gameplay
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:14:30 AM »
Make sure to scale your ships bigger and bigger as the game progresses, the AI will be doing the same.  I am fairly new aswell, but your tech tree and choice of traits are interesting. I think it is very possible to win it as well.  I actually love this game for all the variation of the game starts, it is so much better than simply moving up a difficulty slider. 

I have some funny ones that I have come up with, the latest being the Strongbadians Vs, the Remnants everywhere.  I just haven't had much time to play it through. 

There are also some very good build queues that players have devised to maximize efficiency when it comes to resource gathering.

Hopefully you are not also fighting against 3 Medium AI, if so, drop at least one and lower the difficulty on the remainder.

have fun out there...

Flare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:57:27 AM »
Hi, and sorry my bad English.
This is my third intent on playing the game.

I see the wiki, build ships, see governor scripts, and i have a idea of a special empire, but i know your opinions before change the scripts and play it. My motto its "Make the game simple" so I remove all unnecesary stuff in the game, tech trees, buildings and more.

I think play a:
Eusocial Society: Without good and luxury factory, i can focus on mining and building ships.
Slavery: More labor are good.
Rigid: I think social politics aren't needed, and i prefer don't use resource mandate
Engine Catalyst: I use bussard ramjet, i don't have fuel cost.
AI Paranoia: Bridges are better than computer core.
Efficient: For better haulers.

What a surprise! I usually play with the exact same load out in the vanilla version, though with some different uses of the traits.

On engine catalyst, I tend to use regular engines, starting with thrusters and ending with ion. Fuel consumption is not that much of a bother to me. Before I unlock external mounts, I usually don't have enough ships for there to be much of an issue with fuel, and after I unlock external mounts, what I like to do is have two fuel tanks. One in the inside serving as emergency fuel, and the other size 4 attached to the outside of the ship. Unless the battle was one in which both sides suffered very heavily, most of the ships come out just fine (especially if the ships have a big range advantage). Later on, when ramscoops get efficient enough through tech and ship size, fuel is no longer a problem and I still get the bonus on engine power. My non-combat ships usually use ramjets though to save up on space, and since speed usually isn't an issue with most of the roles they have to play.

As for efficiency, I find their use to be the most practical on mobile refineries and parts assemblers. Unlike stations with their larger capacity, cargo space, even with the copious usage of external mounts on cargo holds, is at a premium. I also like to build mobile resource plants rather than rely on stations, especially for resources like metal where if your resource plants are mobile, they can go to another planet or system and turn all that ore into metal, whereas stations will have to be decommissioned when the ore runs out. In this way, whole systems can be harvested of their ore as fast as your fleet of ore harvesters can move.
As for using stations to make electric and adv parts, I never found a way where the export dock didn't bite heavily into the efficiency of the design by exporting, not only the end product (elect parts/adv parts) but also the components (metal/ elect parts) as well. And since the inclusion of haulers and mobile export ships would not only slow it down as well, but require you to build a whole ecosystem from ore to complex parts export this is not something that can be scaled up without an astronomical amount of supervision.

I plan don't use Ammo or Fuel, less buildings and more concentrated research. Only Armor and Beam need to be unlocked.
Research:
Stealth, Sensors, Gravitics, Missile, Propulsion, Projectile, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Cargo, Shield

Economics is very important I find, star ports are vital, and they are tied to the economics train. Propulsion is also important if you're going to use ships bigger than fighters I find. I also like using targeting sensors for the range advantage so sensors are one of my main research priorities.

Luriant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 06:51:58 AM »
I test more, and find that solar generators give 10x more power that gived in their stats, even in deep space.
http://catzero.dreamwidth.org/2140.html

Its better than power generator, and without fuel.
With Emergency power in the vital systems (Computer core for control), a solar panel give enough power for a Laser Beam with Targeting Sensors and Repair beam. A excelent fuel-less, ammo-less, selfrepairing (i see 1 ship can autorepair with the beam :S ), that can be scaled.

I can't test the design versus boarding parties or mind sapper, and open the subsystems.txt can`t give additional information of their real damage. ┬┐Anybody can explain me the real mechanic?

Flare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »
Where does it say in the link you provided that the solar panel gives 10x more power than in the game?

Luriant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:44:18 AM »
In the Fuelless power zone, Solar Panel section, in the middle of the paragraph.
However, as is, it functions fine everywhere, even in deep space, at ten time stated power

I make 2 solar ships, Computer with emergency power, and a solar panel for powering the 4.0 laser.
And the ships can fly and shoot at normal rate in deep space, with the space of ten systems between the ships and the the nearest star.

The power down a little from time to time, i think is the tick of the game that unpowered the ship (except the computer core with is emergency power), without enough power the systems are disabled, all the power unused go to the solar panel charge, and for the next 10 ticks, the solar panel charge give the 10 power needed for the ship to run at 100%, and again the charge is lost and 100 power its not enough to power the ship, repeteating the process.
But with Computer core, and Bussard ramjet funcionality 100% of the time, the ship can fly without problem.