Author Topic: Questions  (Read 1174 times)

mohreb

• View Profile
Questions
« on: February 03, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
Hi,
i have a few questions:
> Can you precise somewhere in the AI for a ship model to automatically build a build order right from being constructed?
> The limit of ore is limited in the galaxy (and so the metals/electronics/advanced components) ?
> if so what to do whit depleted colonies? are there / can you precise to a governor to change behavior (from economic buildings to something more useful) after a planet is depleted (automatically)?
> What happens if a planet / ship cannot export a resource anymore? will it stop producing it? (aka stop mining, refining, fabricating, until it gets cargo hold?)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:19:39 AM by mohreb »

SanderBuruma

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »
  • You can change the blueprints that the AI uses.
  • The amount of ore in the galaxy is limited, but planets without ore can still produce metal at 20% of the amount they would produce when the ore stores were full. The rate of metal production slowly reduces until ore runs out completely.
  • A colony will only stop producing resources when it can't store them anymore

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »

That's not what he was asking. He wanted to know if he could tell ships what to build once being constructed (assuming they have a construction bay).

As for that question: No, you can't. The one thing you can do is define a type of ship that should be filling any ship bays, like Carriers with Fighters, but that won't directly have an impact of the build orders of the object itself.

mohreb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
That's not what he was asking. He wanted to know if he could tell ships what to build once being constructed (assuming they have a construction bay).
As for that question: No, you can't. The one thing you can do is define a type of ship that should be filling any ship bays, like Carriers with Fighters, but that won't directly have an impact of the build orders of the object itself.
thanks, that is how i asked, are there any mod for this? can a governor-type thing be made for ships (so they build more accordingly to their environement / fleet status?)

• The amount of ore in the galaxy is limited, but planets without ore can still produce metal at 20% of the amount they would produce when the ore stores were full. The rate of metal production slowly reduces until ore runs out completely.
  • A colony will only stop producing resources when it can't store them anymore
so the reduction is gradual related to the stores of a planet.but the conversion state stays always 4 ore => 4 metal => 2 electronics => 1 advanced parts
whit no loss just reduced production (and the non profit of 20% free at the end for planets as much)  no matter how badly balanced a design is ... (or if they need to travel and run out of for example place for advanced parts the ships wont continue to produce at loss other materials => which makes me think is there a way to specify how much of what will you store?)

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »
thanks, that is how i asked, are there any mod for this? can a governor-type thing be made for ships (so they build more accordingly to their environement / fleet status?)

Sorry, I'm not sure if that's possible. Hopefully someone else can answer this. :)

so the reduction is gradual related to the stores of a planet.but the conversion state stays always 4 ore => 4 metal => 2 electronics => 1 advanced parts
whit no loss just reduced production (and the non profit of 20% free at the end for planets as much)  no matter how badly balanced a design is ... (or if they need to travel and run out of for example place for advanced parts the ships wont continue to produce at loss other materials => which makes me think is there a way to specify how much of what will you store?)

On a ship? No, it's just limited by the size of stores. Oh, right - there is only one type of resource storage subsystem for all three resources in vanilla SR, isn't there? Huh, in that case, ships will harvest/convert resources as fast as possible, while also consuming as quickly as possible. The rates are pretty much governed by the corresponding subsystems. Sadly no slider to change this. :(

SanderBuruma

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »
If you have a drydock in orbit it can instantly apply all the resources on it to the production of ships and instantly refill its stores with resources from the planet it orbits. The rate is only limited by the size and number of ship construction subsystems on your drydock. Drydocks filled to the brim with ship construction subsystems can quickly build ships up to 10x their own size.

Ps... Once you get metallurgy 6 you can use orbital stations to produce metal from planetary ore. Put metal refinaries and a cargo unit on your station and give it orders to take ore from the planet and return metal. A refinary like this can return its own metal cost in about 2 minutes of game time. If you make a few large refinaries like this you can easily produce a lot more metal than would be possible using just planetside metal producers. Combine this with drydocks and ample importation of electronics and adv parts and you can have a beast of a time pumping out size 250 ships at the 30-40 Minute mark. The only problem with this strategy is that the refinaries become suddenly obsolete and useless once you run out of planetary ore.

mohreb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
So some other questions that came in mind:
>what scales do the AI use, only the default models or will it make bigger / different ships as it advances (so i can play whit the same limitation and "get the feel" of it)
>will the AI use other construction governors as the default ones ? how efficient those governors, and if not too much is there a way to make them better?
(or at least can someone point out some easy end in-depth explication about what to build, in which case and why)
>i noticed that my defense platforms got captured by pirates, what are the mechanics of ship-capturing?
>i've also seen on the forums some cool multiple galaxy mods/script and images, can someone point out which one to use / how to install (i took one but it was not able to generate maps, i've put the files in the map folder, it was visible in game but it failed to make systems/planets)
>there is a sub-part called matter-generator, does it work for refinery-ships?

And also thanks for all the replies.