Author Topic: I need some construction hints for GA  (Read 1257 times)

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
I need some construction hints for GA
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:41 AM »
Hi, I'm having some problems with heat management in my ships/stations and I would like of some design hints for Galactic Armory. Also, I'm trying to create an orbital factory to create ammo, metals, electronics and adv. parts, but when I put a mining laser in the station, it don't fires it in my planet(s). what I'm doing wrong here?  ???

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
Re: I need some construction hints for GA
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
Hi, I'm having some problems with heat management in my ships/stations and I would like of some design hints for Galactic Armory.

Heat management is actually pretty straightforward: For every heat-generating subsystem (energy weapons!) you put on a ship, you need some cooling capacity. Maximum heat and cooldown rate can be increased by either increasing the size of the energy supply (since generators come with built-in heat sinks) or by adding heat sinks to the ship design. The net heat generated when all weapons are being fired at maximum fire rate is shown in the detail overview right in the blueprint editor. Ideally, you want a negative number here. As a rule of thumb you should add slightly more heatsinks than are required (same with energy required/provided).

Also, I'm trying to create an orbital factory to create ammo, metals, electronics and adv. parts, but when I put a mining laser in the station, it don't fires it in my planet(s). what I'm doing wrong here?  ???

First I would like to suggest splitting these capabilities into different stations. Since ammo and electronics are manufactured from metal, and advanced parts assembled from both electronics and metal, there will always be some sort of imbalance between resources generated/manufactured/exported, since you have no further control over the individual rates of each resource. So it might be a better idea to have an ore refinery that harvests ore and converts it to metal as well as separate stations that take the cycle further and produce electronics and advanced parts each. If you have asteroids in a system, it's also a great idea to harvest these with mobile refinery ships and later on add export docks to them once they become available. The combined ore of the average asteroid belt should last vastly longer than the limited supply of planets (even though planets will still produce metal at a reduced rate of ~30% once they run out of ore).

As for stripmining a planet from the orbit, the reason your station does not fire its mining beam is because it doesn't consider the planet a valid target. You can, however, easily force them to go ahead and do it anway by selecting the station, right-clicking on your planet and then selecting the "fire mining laser" or "attack" (not sure which one is shown) order with ctrl+right click. (By the way, you can open fire at friendly or neutral objects using the same method!)

I hope that will help. :)

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: I need some construction hints for GA
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
Yes, this was useful, thanks. I'll begin to build my new electronics and adv. parts stations ASAP. :)