Author Topic: WIP Exa's Wars shipset  (Read 7993 times)

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
Re: WIP Exa's Wars shipset
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 04:41:34 AM »
I don't know, it doesn't quite strike me as a fortress in space. It does have a "fortress" feel to it, but seems more appropriate for a terrestrial facility. (If at all.)

DattMuffinMan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »
Its a good model, nothing wrong with it. As a thumb of rule, the best defensive shape in space is spheroids. But since we aren't going for meta realism here this model is more than usable for almost any role you intend.

Exa

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 04:21:53 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys!  :)

The previous station attracted some positive comments by LeHitGuy at the Steam forums, so with the star fortress I just wanted to do something similar but with a more military look -- and for me nothing screams "fortress" louder than Vauban's gunpowder-era star-shaped citadels. DattMuffinMan has nicely summarized the rest of my thinking: SR2's blueprints are essentially 2D, so the star shape works.

For those looking for hard SF, I understand this model may have too much of a "battlefleet gothic" vibe (which may have been reinforced in the latest iteration, wait till you see it ::)), but for such a simple design, I think it looks ok in game and is easily identifiable. Anyway, I will try to model another station with a different style in the future :)

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 05:07:54 AM »
Well, "hard SF" had very little influence on my opinion; it's just that "gunpowder-era star-shaped citadels", as you put it, look terribly low-tech - something that would never appear in any sort of science fiction as an orbital defense system. It sticks out like a sore thumb in its own shipset, never mind any other shipsets in the game.

I think a few more design cues might be taken from stations like these:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Golan_space_defense_platform
sinsofasolarempire.wikia.com/wiki/Argonev_Star_Base
various Space Empires 5 starbases
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alliance_Space_Station
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cardan-class_space_station
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Consortium_space_station
en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Orbital_weapon_platform
en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ty'Gokor_orbital_facility

I think I covered a fairly broad range of different station designs, all of which seem more advanced than the current Star Fortress.

Exa

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »
Thanks for your comment, Dalo!

Looking at the links you have posted, I have come to two conclusions:

1) We have very different tastes about space stations (and indeed, about what "low tech" means), and

2) You're very likely going to hate the changes I'm doing to the star fortress  ;D ;D ;D

I'm very thankful for all the specific and constructive suggestions to improve my WIP models, and for ideas to create new ones. I can only apologize for my lack of skill if some of my models are a sore thumb, or are not even appropriate for a terrestrial facility. Anyway, if you feel inclined to use my shipset, please remember that SR2's manual hull selection (or a little modding) gives you the opportunity to not use any model you extremely dislike -- SR2 is a great game, isn't it? :)

dalolorn

• Sentient
  • ABEM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 02:40:31 PM »
1) We have very different tastes about space stations (and indeed, about what "low tech" means), and

2) You're very likely going to hate the changes I'm doing to the star fortress  ;D ;D ;D

I'm very thankful for all the specific and constructive suggestions to improve my WIP models, and for ideas to create new ones. I can only apologize for my lack of skill if some of my models are a sore thumb, or are not even appropriate for a terrestrial facility. Anyway, if you feel inclined to use my shipset, please remember that SR2's manual hull selection (or a little modding) gives you the opportunity to not use any model you extremely dislike -- SR2 is a great game, isn't it? :)

I'd say both conclusions are likely to be true. :)

However, there's a difference between lack of skill and different design styles/tastes that I feel I should point out. I think the models are okay from a modelling standpoint (certainly better than anything I can make, which, admittedly, isn't all that much praise :/), it's just that I don't like the 'castle in space' feeling the Star Fortress evokes. You're absolutely right with the rest of that paragraph, though. :D