Author Topic: Reclusive Life  (Read 1965 times)

lerksand

• View Profile
Reclusive Life
« on: March 06, 2015, 04:14:08 AM »
There are seven different life options Devout, Evangelical, Linked, Mechanoid, Star Children, Terrestrial, and Verdant. Why not make it eight?

The Reclusive option would be extremely reclusive, as in you get only one system to house your population/labor.

Population/labor: The population would only reside within a Gigantic space station, Dyson sphere, or a Dyson ring. Whatever it is would orbit their home systems star. If the enemy destroys this you lose the game.

Resources: The way they would obtain resources other planets have are with mining ships. These ships would then arrive at the planet and unpack into a mining station, which sends the resources to the Station/sphere/ring.(they can unpack as well) After around 10-20 budget cycles the planet with the station above it would turn into a barren landscape. You cannot get food/water from planets once this happens, in order to counter this they could build hydroponic/water recycling orbitals around their systems sun that produce food/water for them, though they cannot get any bonuses from them. They would get science from Science orbitals.

Defensive/Pressure/Levels: Since they have only one "planet" they would be able to hold much more pressure (maybe 4-6 times more). As the station/sphere/ring levels up it will change appearance. The station would add onto itself by adding more sections to the station, the Dyson Sphere would grow densely packed "skyscraper" looking protrusions from itself increasing in size for each added level. Dyson Ring would do the same thing as the Dyson Sphere. Since if an enemy destroys the station/sphere/ring you would lose the game, its defensive capability's should level up with it. At level one it should be able to defend itself decently against a level one enemy player. This would continue with the levels.

Orbitals: Hydroponics orbital would produce one resource of food without any bonuses, Water recycling orbital would produce one water resource. Science orbital would produce 1 science per second.(There is a limit on how many science orbitals you can have)   
(Maybe they can expand to another system by constructing another station/sphere/ring, but the costs would be extremely expensive only making it viable in long games.)
(It would need more changes to be balanced with the other options)

I would love to see a life option that plays somewhat like this it.

Dyson Ring (example)                                                                                                                               

Dyson Sphere (example)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:57:43 AM by lerksand »

Darloth

• View Profile
Re: Reclusive Life
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:03:31 AM »
Sounds like an excellent idea.

I'll see if I can get something like this working later tonight.

Starting with a ringworld and only being able to expand population by making new ring worlds should be easy enough. They are already very expensive.

Using resources by setting up mining bases around them is possible - having these deterraform worlds when they're finished might take a bit more effort but should be doable.

Orbitals granting research / energy, easy.
Orbitals granting food and water might take a little longer, but you can just build buildings on the ringworld which already do this.

Won't initially do the scaling defense or graphics stuff, it's quite a bit harder, but remember you can build lots of guns or missiles on a ringworld because it is huge.

Darloth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
Here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410605660

There's a first draft.  I've put it up publicly so you can have a look at it, though I know it's not anywhere near finished or polished yet. 

That's nine, now :)

lerksand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 06:44:09 AM »
You have done awesome work so far, i hope to see it continue.